Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RELEASE AGENT

Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 AM
ERV JR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RELEASE AGENT

WHAT CAN I USE FOR A RELEASE ANGENT ? I need to make some parts but dont want to buy a gallon of release agent. Can i use Pam spray, Vasilone or wax ? Is there some sort of household product or something i can get at a hardware store that i can put down then gel coat and and then lay up a part ?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Macleod

Default RE: RELEASE AGENT

If you want to be cheap and nasty, you could use cling wrap.Or just heaps of mould release wax.

Best to try what ever you choose on something other than what you are moulding first to see if it will work.

But I'd prefer several applications of mould release wax then PVA release agent. Never had A 'stick up' yet.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: ERV JR

WHAT CAN I USE FOR A RELEASE ANGENT ? I need to make some parts but dont want to buy a gallon of release agent. Can i use Pam spray, Vasilone or wax ? Is there some sort of household product or something i can get at a hardware store that i can put down then gel coat and and then lay up a part ?
What are you trying to make? The products mentioned in the previous post are what you should be using to insure a successful release. There are several different mold release waxes out there, here are a couple I've experimented with. The PVA is used with the wax, not alone (typically).

I've actually tried some car waxes years ago, but almost every time it "pre released" on me defecting the part. Way too slippery from the silicone. Mold wax has no silicone and is made with carnuba. It dries hard and dosen't leave an incompatable greasy film on the surface.

Get the right stuff in the beginning......you'll most likely are buyng it down the road. Oh, you can buy PVA in half pint sizes either online or locally at most marine parts places like West Marine (if you have one).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49202.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1207626  
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM
AndyKunz

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

PVA is the same base as Elmers White Glue.  If you thin Elmers out, you can use it in a pinch.

Andy