Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aqua Jet Keeps throwing roll Pin

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Aqua Jet Keeps throwing roll Pin

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:33 AM
crewkip-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aqua Jet Keeps throwing roll Pin

After a few runs yesterday my boat got a mind of its own and ran up on the shore, the prop didn’t look too damaged. I ran it again and it threw the roll pin connecting the engine to the drive shaft. I put it back in and it came out again. How do I fix this? Would a unbalanced prop cause this?
Thanks
Kip
Old 06-24-2003, 02:31 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Where is this roll pin located at? Is it the one on the universal joint or does it hold the prop on. My CEN boat has a problem with the set screw at the U-joint coming loose.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:38 AM
crewkip-RCU

This is the small unthreaded pin holding the engine to the drive shaft, so yes the one at the u joint. I tried some JB weld but it just broke free from that in a matter of seconds.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:22 PM
MikDee

I am having the same problem with my electric Aqua Jet, maybe a small cotter pin would help?
Old 06-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the people from CEN Racing hangs out in www.radiocontrolzone.com in the boating section.
http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...hreadid=105821
This is my thread on the Grey Thunder. Ask the question in there and see if you can get him to answer or send him a PM. He might just send you a new one free.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Pagemaster

The universal works ok but has problems if its miss aligned more than it can handle or not oiled. Or when more then 12 cells is used. It heats up and the little pin shoots out. When we race more then 12 cells we swap the universal for a custom flex connector. You can see how to do that here http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/mod...a_aqua_jet.htm
The flex in the picture is the old Graupner version. We now have one special made for upto 16cells. At the same time it makes the drive smoother then stock.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Old 06-25-2003, 11:18 PM
crewkip-RCU

I sent CEN customer service an email about the pin and here is how they responded. After a few runs yesterday my boat got a mind of its own and ran up on the shore, the prop didn't look too damaged. I ran it again and it threw the roll pin connecting the engine to the drive shaft. I put it back in and it came out again. How do I fix this? Would a unbalanced prop cause this?
Thanks
Kip

Customer Service:
Did you find out why your boat ran off on its own? Did you get water in the receiver? You should make sure you solve this problem so it doesn’t happen again. It may have just been another person on the same channel running close by too.

2. The roll pin that is connecting the driveshaft must be tightened down using a good wrench. You thread lock and make sure its as tight as you can get it. I have seen people pul some shrink tubing over the pin to further help it stay in place. This is not needed it you used a good wrench and get the screw good and tight.

Let me know if you have any more questions

I don't think we are talking about the same pin. The one I am talking about is not threaded. Its silver in color and connects the engine to the driveshaft. When it pops out the drive shaft can be twisted freely and moved in and out of the boat. Im not sure of what pin you are talking about but this one does not have threads and simply slips in and out of place.
Kip

Customer Service: Its the pin the holds the joint together. If you take the joint out of the boat and bend the joint it exposes a setscrew that holds the pin in. You can not tighten this screw with the joint in the boat.

Now before I go taking my boat apart I just want to make sure him and I are talking about the same thing because I still don't think we are.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Pagemaster

I just snapped this pic for ya. Yes he's right but if it gets hot enough it will come out. Shrink wrap wouldnt work. If the drive shaft is bent and vibrating it will also cause it.

Steven Vaccaro
www.OffshoreElectrics.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89301_28880.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	51514  
Old 06-26-2003, 12:03 AM
75Blazer

I've got to say guys, I don't even have an aqua jet and I thought this was one of the most informative discussions I've ever seen. Way to go. That's what this is all about!!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:30 AM
crewkip-RCU

I think this is starting to make more sense. First off I think we may be talking about two different setups, one for gas and one for electric. Also after disassembling my boat I heard something clanking around and after about 20 mins of shaking I finally got it to pop out. What it looks like to me is a something I slide the silver pin through and then tighten the set screw like Cen customer service said to do. I had never seen this piece until now which is why I was so confused. Although I think I finally figured it out, in my shaking of the boat I lost the darn silver pin. Would anyone know diameter of it? Ill post some pics just to clarify what I am talking about.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:31 AM
crewkip-RCU

Here is a pic of the engine and at the very end you can see the hole where that stupid little pin goes.

Name:	89318_36812.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	51515  
Old 06-26-2003, 12:33 AM
crewkip-RCU

Here is the piece I finally got out of the boat.
A little out of focus but you can see the hole where the pin slides through to be locked in place by a set screw.

Name:	89320_36812.jpg
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	51516  
Old 06-26-2003, 12:34 AM
crewkip-RCU

Top view of the same piece. You can see the set screw.

Name:	89321_36812.jpg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	51517  
Old 06-26-2003, 12:38 AM
crewkip-RCU

Here is the drive shaft with the openings the assembly with the set screw is supposed to slide through.

Name:	89322_36812.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	51518  
Old 06-26-2003, 12:40 AM
crewkip-RCU

And lastly a side view of the drive shaft where i believe the small pin slides though to be held in place by the set screw. I sure hope this is all right. Now I just need the diameter of the pin.

Name:	89325_36812.jpg
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	51519  
Old 06-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Pagemaster

Glad to see you have it straight. The universal joint picture is the nitro one. We stock these if its broken beyond repair. Also I found you have to keep it lubed a bit.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:50 AM
Pagemaster

Take it to the local hardware store to see if they have something that fits but make sure it isnt tight and free spins inside the hole.