Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Laser Cutting and Molds

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Laser Cutting and Molds

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
stackeddeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Cutting and Molds

Hey guys this may sound like I am planning on building a new boat.. I am not any time too soon. Just a few questions I've been thinking about:

Number 1: How do you laser cut wood? Where do you do it? Tell me about laser cutting wood!Can I take plans somewhere and get wood cut to them? Just wondering about laser cutting some wood for a boat.

Number 2: How can you create your own boats/cowls with fiberglass... You make a mold?out of what? how? then you lay fiberglass in it? how do you get mold back? tell me about using molds to make stuff (mainly stuff like vents and scoops and cowls)

Sorry if Ishould have searched some of this stuff.. Iknow im bad about forgetting to use the search engine and asking to many questions

but a little back ground info would be awesome

oh one last thing, if I were to get some wood laser cut and make a boat and then put everything in it would that be cheaper than buying a kit or just a single hull or RTR stuff?just wondering thanks!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
ROMA-F1

Default RE: Laser Cutting and Molds

you can buy the hull finish from == www.towerhobbies.com== 100 hull
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86265.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1293828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87952.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1293829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22292.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1293830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86919.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1293831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27273.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1293832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60660.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1293833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61352.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1293834  
Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
w3bby

A search would have done you some good, here's some stuff on making a plug, mold and finished product..
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7292440/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]Making the Dreamin* CS[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7912646/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]More on the CS[/link]
There is other stuff available both on here and RCGroups. RCGroups "Composites Fabrication" forum is an excellent resource.
Laser cutting, you will need to find someone in your area that has a cutter and have plans that are in dxf format or be able to convert plans to dxf.
Building a wood boat can be cheaper than buying a ready made hull but if you are going to pay someone to laser cut then I would suggest the [link=http://zippkits.com/]Zipp Kits[/link] as a very price conscious alternative.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I only know a little about laser cutting as one of my sisters owns 3 of them but small by a lot of standards, only 25 watts with 12" x 24" beds. We have cut some boat kits using them though but they can only handle wood up to about 3/32". What you need is usually a .dxf type of file made of your drawing. Have it a laser ready as possible to save you time and money at the cutters. Most will charge you a setup fee plus actual laser cutting time. A high wattage laser cutter can whip out a kit in maybe 20 minutes or less.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:22 PM
stackeddeck

thanks guys for all the info. once again sorry I didnt search and yes zippkits are a great choice as I just finished one
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stackeddeck

thanks guys for all the info. once again sorry I didnt search and yes zippkits are a great choice as I just finished one

As most of the laser cut boat sections ae computer controlled, you can thus go to my web site and get and explaintation on how to cut up a few raw wood parts cut. Already doing this for the competition at this time, so you may have to wait.

Wm.