Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Robbe Prinzess Boat & Roqua Outboard

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Robbe Prinzess Boat & Roqua Outboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Chynewalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robbe Prinzess Boat & Roqua Outboard

This is the boat that got me into R/C a few months ago. It was just the motor and hull when I bought it. I've since added a servo, ESC, battery pack, receiver, etc. Also needed to replace the propeller - found a good used one, and cleaned a bunch of sandy grit out of the gear housing.

Finally found a use for the little baby food tubs after my little one is done with them - they make a pretty good receiver box! (I knew I kept a stack of them for a reason!) I ran the wires and antenna out a hole I cut in the side, and dabbed some silicon sealer in there to button it up. Should keep splashed water out of the receiver and if I tape it up it'll be completely water proof! Only thing I want to add at this point are some styrofoam blocks under the foredeck and sides just in case it gets swamped.

I bought a Futaba Magnum transmitter off eBay for 99¢ and it works beautifully. Now I'm just awaiting some liquid water to let it go!

At some point I want to do a cosmetic dress up to make it look more like the Glastron GT-150 it was modeled after. I've got decal artwork and I'll redo the paint scheme to look like it, too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17690.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	1370408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35747.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	1370409   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27028.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	1370410  
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
10x8

Default RE: Robbe Prinzess Boat & Roqua Outboard

Nice! Love the outboard.
We use the tiny tuppaware food boxes with the rubber seals for our esc'c. Drill 2 holes in each end for the wires and silicone em up.

Nice looking setup, I especially like the dash with gauges and steering wheel. Good luck and keep us posted.

Peter
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 PM
tonyp51bl

i have that same moter and the speed controller for it from back in 1992 but sure wish i could get my hands on a boat for it. had it for years now never used.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Chynewalker

Hi Tony,
  I'd build something for that motor!  It's not the highest performance outboard out there, but it looks more scale than most.  I found a shallow V plastic hull that I am going to modify to resemble an old Donzi Sweet 16 to run one of my motors on.  
- Scott
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Chynewalker

Well I ran the boat this morning for the first time! Had an 8.4V NiCd pack in it that I made from a drill battery. Ran alright - definitely some room for improvement as far as set-up goes. This was the first time I had ever run an RC boat, so I was glad it wasn't much faster as I had a bit of a learning curve to keep my left & right straight in my head.Fortunately there weren't any loose ice floes around, otherwise I would have been running an obstacle course.

Video of it running:
www.dailymotion.com/video/xcii54_robbe-prinzess-rc-outboard-boat-wit_tech

- Scott
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chynewalker

Well I ran the boat this morning for the first time! Had an 8.4V NiCd pack in it that I made from a drill battery. Ran alright - definitely some room for improvement as far as set-up goes. This was the first time I had ever run an RC boat, so I was glad it wasn't much faster as I had a bit of a learning curve to keep my left & right straight in my head. [img][/img] Fortunately there weren't any loose ice floes around, otherwise I would have been running an obstacle course. [img][/img]

Video of it running:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xci...-boat-wit_tech

- Scott
Scott - link comes up broken - site is adding ...'s in the middle of the link. Could you use the link tab to insert it. She looks a nice old boat. Want to see her in action
Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Chynewalker

Fixed the link! Thanks for the hint!
- Scott
Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good work Scott. She looks great on the water. I would be curious if a smaller or lower pitch prop would free up some more speed. But as is she looks very scale. Keep the clips coming
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Chynewalker

Funny you should mention a smaller prop. I have another prop for it - the one that came with it when I bought it off eBay in December. It had a small chunk out of one blade and I thought about trimming it down, making a template and trimming the other blade to match. This would cut down the blade area a bit and should result in increased RPM. If memory serves, the original prop on the Roqua was 55mm in diamter. Not sure of the pitch, but I have it written down somewhere. Might have to get one of the adapters to run 4MM props to try some others...
- Scott