Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

New to Boats

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:57 PM
jmauld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Boats

I recently picked up a toy boat, that basically makes me want to spend more money on something nicer. I have never worked with boats before, so I really don't know where to get started.

I have a C.C. Sidewinder (1/10th version) with 4600Kv motor, a couple of 2S lipos, and a spare receiver sitting around. Can I adapt this system to be used in a 20-30" boat? If so, do you guys have a recommendation for a cheap/durable hull that is good for a beginner to learn with? Both in terms of working with boats and for handling purposes.

BTW, the toy that started this was based on this review here: http://rcmania.com/megatech-h2o-pro-racer/

It's a decent little boat for $25. I'm going to put a small 2S lipo in it to see how the stock electronics hold up. I doubt they will hold-up long, I just hope that I don't lose the lipo in the process.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: New to Boats

First thing you need to decide is what you want to get out of boating. Do you want to:
1) race or play
2) go fast or slow and relaxing
3) Have a boat that looks scale, goes fast or just a boat in general
Next thing you need to look at is the size and conditions of the water you will be running in. If you will be in rougher water, you need to look at a vee or a cat. Smoother water will let you run pretty much everything. If you have windy conditions, a sailboat of some sort might be the way to go.
That being said, if you can answer these questions honestly, then we can help point you in the right direction
Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 PM
jmauld

1) Play
2) Fast
3) I don't really care about the scale looks, so that effort/detail would be lost on me.
4) I'll be running it in a large lake that conditions vary based on wind and how many big boats are running around.

I think a mid 20" vee boat will work well for what I want, but I'm not positive.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: jmauld

1) Play
2) Fast
3) I don't really care about the scale looks, so that effort/detail would be lost on me.
4) I'll be running it in a large lake that conditions vary based on wind and how many big boats are running around.

I think a mid 20'' vee boat will work well for what I want, but I'm not positive.
Sounds like you describing the enforcer line from Warehouse Hobbies. Except you looking for a small electric boat.

http://www.whobbies.com/ has some very nice boats 48" or more that I think would work out better for you.
You have a few to choose from in RTR and in Kit form. For the kits a few hours and basic hand tools. Tony provides the hull pre drilled for his hardware.

Leo
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
dicko

Have a look at the Aquacraft SV27, the delta force hulls or the prince 25" mono.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
jmauld

Is the tower hobbies turbo vee 3 good for a starter boat? How is it going to do with a brushless system?