Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Decal Application

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Decal Application

Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Erik Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decal Application

What is the secret? I have some clear decals I want to put on my hull. Everytime I try and apply them I get air pockets and finger prints and they look like garbage. I know there has to be a trick. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
amax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Decal Application

First thing is Wear Latex Gloves, that will help with prints(if ya keep them clean). Clean the area to be covered thoroughly with a cleaning solvent, for stickers and general cleaning I use regular rubbing alcohol it's cheap at CVS,, lol,, mix a light soapy water mix and mist the area to be covered in a spray bottle preferably, try to lay the sticker down center first and roll it out from there, take a Good Flexible Squeegee or Bondo Spreader, try to lightly hold the sticker in place with a finger or two and work out the water and air from the center out with the squeegee.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

An alternative to the soapy water is windshield wiper fluid or any type of cleaner like Windex. Keep it wet even if you have to keep putting it on. I told me brother-in-law about the wiper fluid trick as he was having problems putting large decals on store windows (he and my sister own a laser cutting business) and it worked great for him.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:58 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

And any little bubbles that can't be chased to the edge, ***** with a pin a rub again, air comes out, bubble vanishes.