RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Formula Fastech Brushless (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/7528980-formula-fastech-brushless.html)

dazedandconfused 05-22-2008 06:32 PM

Formula Fastech Brushless

Does anybody know about this boat? Any feed back..Pros/Cons..I think it might be a better villain ex..I havent been able to find about reviews or info about it online. I guess its too new, im wondering if anybody has one, they can maybe pass on some advice.

darindotson 05-31-2008 11:29 AM

RE: Formula Fastech Brushless

I just purchased the Fastech Brushless Deep Vee, and am very happy with the boat so far. The speed and handling are excellent using NiMh batteries- I will be going to Lipo power soon. The only negatives so far:

1. Short runtimes (but should be longer with higher capacity Lipos)
2. The hull takes on some water, most likely through the steering linkage boot- so far, no water has gotten in the electronics box
3. Cheap and poorly placed decals

I would estimate the top speed to be around 30 mph with 2 3000 MAh NiMh batteries- pretty impressive out of the box.

Darin

dazedandconfused 05-31-2008 12:00 PM

Hey man..im glad to hear somebody has something positive to say about the boat..Can you upload any videos or anything?

FE_Chris 05-31-2008 12:44 PM

For 300 bucks, it can't be that bad of a deal. Glad to see someone's got one. Plus, the motor's are very good for the money IMO. I bet you toss on a x642 or MAYBE a x645 with some lipos and that baby will really rip. Get a video!

I had a BJ26 BL for a while. I used 4s1p PQ lipos and a x642 and I was seeing consistant 38-39MPH runs. Motor AND esc where almost cold. Thats why I think a x645 is the next step, but at the same time, thats a lot of pitch for a small hull like that....so if you try be careful!

can you do WOT turns with it? Seems like it would fit into a stock racing club class quite well!

Kmot 05-31-2008 04:52 PM

http://media.putfile.com/Formula-Fast-Tech

darindotson 05-31-2008 04:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback- I'm new to RC boating, have more experience with nitro and brushless electric cars. Can anyone point me to a link to the X642 prop?? Is this a 2 or three blade prop? I was thinking of going with 2S Lipos at 4000 Mah, but they are so darn expensive.

Thanks!

Darin

darindotson 05-31-2008 04:59 PM

Oh, and WOT turns are no problem- a little skittish, but won't roll. At least not with NiMh batteries.:D

Ron Olson 05-31-2008 11:18 PM

Prop: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=87

dazedandconfused 06-02-2008 05:01 PM

Kmot..how did it handle? and give us the low down..did you like it?

Ron Olson 06-02-2008 10:42 PM

I went ot the LHA today and they had several of them and here's what I saw;
It's not a true Vee hul but what I'd call a semi-Vee as it has a flat bottom.
the transom hardware looks nice but the turn fins are a good 1/2" too long and of course turned inward instead of how they should be. Pro Boat still hasn't learned.
It looks from a short distance too much like a Traxxas Villain or Nitro-Vee.
Seeing how I don't know diddly-squat about BL setups I'll leave that for the rest of you.

dazedandconfused 06-03-2008 05:18 PM

Thanks Ron, but how did the hull look? did it look cheap? How far should the turn fins be turned out?

Kmot 06-03-2008 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: dazedandconfused

Kmot..how did it handle? and give us the low down..did you like it?
Not my boat. I was filming it. My buddy was running it for the first time with lipos and just learning how it feels. He did say he really liked how it turned, compared to his Blackjack catamaran.

It is similar looking to a Villain as Ron said. A bit shorter though. In my opinion, it is the Villain Brushless that Traxxas should have made already. Proboat beat them to it.

In my opinion, it is a beautiful boat. The one I saw had perfect graphics, no wrinkles and in the sunlight it sparkled.

The turn fins on the one I saw were mounted correctly. So that when the boat leans in a turn, the fin is perpindicular to the water.

Kmot 06-03-2008 07:05 PM

BTW, it is a scale boat:

http://www.formulaboats.com/fastech/...4-gallery.aspx

1983shovelhead 06-04-2008 07:49 PM

So I just got one of these - it's sitting on the bench until I can get a few minutes to go over it - translated to you single guys that means I got to hide this from the wife for a couple of days because of my last spending binge!
I picked up a couple a fresh 4200s at the lhs and got 4 4500s enroute.
Thinking of what hardware and prop I should upgrade with - any suggestions? Is it REALLY necessary to have a prop balanced?? I have NO intentions of racing and don't plan on trying to set any records - at least this year.
How about the outdrive?
I've read the fins are too long? Do I need to replace -
And finally, since I pretty much have been scratch building rc crawlers and mud-boggers for the few years I'm used to fabing alot up. Does anyone else do this?

iwannagofast80 06-05-2008 04:12 PM

i have a friend that just bought one of these. it looks really nice but i'm still reluctant to purchase one for myself since IMO proboat still hasn't proven themselves with a reliable craft.

Bcolici 07-02-2008 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 1983shovelhead
I have NO intentions of racing and don't plan on trying to set any records - at least this year.
Then just set it up run it and have fun,from the vids here stock seems fine to bash around with.
Someone may have a different opinion,But you know what they say about opinions!