Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines
Reload this Page >

So what really sets one engine make/model apart from another?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

So what really sets one engine make/model apart from another?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:44 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks pretty good to me - interesting to see the difference between the LST manifold and the 41017.

How does the Boost .28 compare to the P3 in overall power and timing? Box stock that is - I know the modified engines are often quite different from stock.. Not fishing for trade secrets here; just curious about stock P3 vs. stock Boost version.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:01 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Looks pretty good to me - interesting to see the difference between the LST manifold and the 41017.

How does the Boost .28 compare to the P3 in overall power and timing? Box stock that is - I know the modified engines are often quite different from stock.. Not fishing for trade secrets here; just curious about stock P3 vs. stock Boost version.
there is no real performance difference... the Boost will see less power drop from heat saturation due to its style of head button...but other then that they are the same engine for all intents and purposes..... What you will see is variations on timing of the Picco 28 over the years....With some cranks measuring 11.4 mm on the window and others down as 9.8 mm on the window, which is a huge amount of timing......Back in the day it almost seemed batch to batch you could see big swings in timing ... moderns Boost 28 seem to hold a medium timed crank...
Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LST manifold actually performed better then I expected it to... definitely a surprise to see it make that much bottom end.....
Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by supertib
The LST manifold actually performed better then I expected it to... definitely a surprise to see it make that much bottom end.....
Me too. Given the length, it makes perfect sense that it makes so much bottom end. I noticed a huge increase in top end when I swapped the long losi manifold for the 41016. The engine temp dropped significantly with the shorter manifold too. That makes sense too given the timing of the engine. I ran my P3 today for quite awhile and it runs really well. My big heavy LST ran pretty close to a stock brushless slash 4x4 on 3S. That surprised me.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM
tanugs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have a question, Everybody talks about the 086 pipes. The thing is that most of these pipes are discontinued. the only one that I know of that is available, still being produced, is the Novarossi 9886 which is an 086 pipe. Yes I know that you can still get some of the other 086 pipes and ebay and such, and that most of the 086 pipes are relatively the same but that's not what I want to know. So what I want to know is how are the new style pipes that are offered today? Do they have better performance? What is a good mid-high pipe like the 086 was? Do they offer a new in production pipe that is of better quality and performance? Why should I track down an old style, discontinued 086 pipe if the new style pipes are better? By the way I did purchase the Nova 9886 and I do have the Dynamite 086, They are basically the same pipe.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:13 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Basically, most 086 pipes from the past were essentially copies of the Nova 9886 as I understand. Some were poor copies, others were pretty good. The Dynamite 086HS is said to be pretty close to the 9886 Novarossi. Most of the other 086 pipes just fall short in performance and tractability compared to the Nova - which is why guys in the know get the Nova pipe.

Dyno tests have shown that A) the 9886 pretty much walks on most other pipes in terms of total power potential and B) the manifold can have a more poignant effect on power and its curve than the pipe does. Conical manifolds produce more power than tubular manifolds do.

Neal at the nitro shop has done dyno tests using either a 41016 or 41017 manifold and 9886 pipe and found nice horsepower gains over longer tubular manifolds on a modified off-road engine.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:29 PM
tanugs

I was wrong.....Dynamite does still sell/make their version of the 086. It just comes as pie and header together. you cant buy the pipe by itself anymore.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:33 PM
tanugs

Thank you. It gets a little confusing sometimes with all the new pipes out now, and all the race qualifications they have to meet.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:14 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by tanugs
I was wrong.....Dynamite does still sell/make their version of the 086. It just comes as pie and header together. you cant buy the pipe by itself anymore.

I found a Dynamite pipe without header on eBay for $25 new in box. If you're set in an 086 pipe and want to do it as close and cheaply to the 9886 Nova, that's your best bet. I have both the Dynamite 086HS and Nova 9886SS. Both look very similar, but the stinger bore is larger on the 9886. I'll run the 9886/Legend 28-8 this spring to compare the two pipes.

I dont race, so all out power and speed work for me.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:43 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

On a whim, I'm going to try a Turbo head button in my pullstart Picco .28 P3. I was told the head button from the Schumacher X28T is basically the same internals as the P3 .28 Turbo engine. Schumacher pn: pp2347. I found it for about $22USD shipped from the UK. I'll try it out along with some turbo Picco plugs - P6TC and P6TH. I'll get a couple of each and see which works better. It's in an LST2 basher rig. I'll compare running characteristics against the standard P6S plugs I've been using in it. I may try a Novarossi C6TGC plug too if the taper is the same since I have a whole card of those too. Probably all overkill in a basher, but in the event it isn't what I want, I can sell it.