Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

SOLDERING is not fun!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 AM
genitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SOLDERING is not fun!

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

I have a hakko 936 clone which is giving me problems, the cheap tip they sent me will not tin or transfer heat. I have cleaned them and wrapped the tip in solder to let it melt slowly but the dam tip just oxidizes and wont tin... I hope by buying a good tip from hakko this will be fixed.

I have the same problem with another soldering iron.
Try grinding off piece of the tip to reveal a fresh metal surface, it helped for me.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I'll give that a try.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I agree and sympathize with the OP. Soldering SUCKS... But I think the others are right too - you need decent equipment.. I had some cheapo $10 thing I saw in the checkout of an electronics store or something, and I hated everything to do with soldering - and yes, it was those dumbaxx Traxxas plugs too...

One more expense (and hassle..) to add to the list if I ever decide to get a brushless RC... Nnnaaa.... Fa-get about it... Sticking with nitro anyway...
Weird my $10 15W/30W(Dual-wattage) Radio shack iron I've used for around 15-16 years. Had to replace the tip a couple times but it still works. Too bad I can't replace tip this time though the hole kinda is stripped, and won't allow another tip in but hell 15 years for $10 isn't bad. I bought another $10 iron to replace it seeing they still make the same exact model
My 100w iron I got from radio shack too around 16-17 years ago think its on its 2nd tip(I don't use it anywhere near as much as the 15/30W).
Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 AM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

HJJFFFAA I've soldered 12 gauge with my 30W iron before it just takes a hell of a long time to get the wire to the proper temp (think it took 6 minutes of continual heat when I did it) whereas my 100w iron it takes 20-25 seconds to have a solid joint.
Weird, it didn't seem to take any longer to do than any other size wire.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:17 PM
madryan

You need a good iron to reliably do good joints. The Wellar WP series are great for the money. I have a WP-35 I use for everything and it does battery packs fine.

The problem with the cheap irons is they don't get hot enough. Additionally, the tips are crap. If you always tin up your tip before putting it away and clean and re-tin it frequently while using you'll never have issues.

If you're going to be doing it quite a bit just drop the cash on a good station.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
RC Scab Ab

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Ok I'll give that a try.

You do that!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 PM
RCtoughGuy

i feel your pain. Go Nitro!!!
ORIGINAL: cliffkp

im not mechianically inclined at all... soldering blows... I can't get it.. im bleeding from shoving a flat head screw driver into my finger... ( when i was trying to push the molex connector into the traxxas fitting ) of course the connection from the battery to the molex snapped when i was trying to get it in.... *** do I need to do differntly to get the solder to actually weld and join the two and not just break off every time im trying to put the stupid peice in.. bit frustrating
Old 10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i prefer butane irons, i use this one http://www.harborfreight.com/pen-tor...ife-66050.html
its decent, cheap and does the job just fine. plus, you can take it with you to your favorite bash spot and fix any broken wires.

I use a butane iron at work. I like those also. Portability is the best feature. Take it with you!!