Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Vote: Kit or RTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:08 PM
usagi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vote: Kit or RTR

Gesh........... Some people just think they know every single thing in this world.......We are all here to help each other, why people have to write comments like DBOW did is really sad. specilly if its meant to hurt the writer of the reply. FUN and helpings other get through a problem is the name of the game here DBOW. Not personal flames and attacks. Straight up and fly right.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:12 PM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

I do believe he was talking about which company came out with rtr first. I do not think he is intentionally trying to start a fight.....you are right though this fourm is here to help pple so lets........um....... just start helpin ok......
Old 08-04-2003, 02:16 PM
usagi

Dan, I see your point. But DBOW is not reading between the lines. I think thats the problems. But oh well he really need to read the WHOLE thread and not the later part of it. IF he did MAYBE he would follow the flow of this topic.

One last comment about building, If one does not have time to build a kit, then how in the WORLD are they going to understand how it put together?

Ok then any mentality handicapped person or loser can build a kit right?

Anyways Kuma Your correct.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Skill Level

Originally posted by dbow
Usagi,

I agree, you are right thats not what the thread is about. So I wont talk about that anymore.

Nitro Flash,

Originally posted by Nitro Flash

I would have to disagree with you on this, just about anyone can put a r/c car together. There are different levels of build quality and certain kits require a little more attention, but anyone can do it.
The setup is where a lot of new people run into the problem, but can learn with time.

I think the biggest factor for RTR is the fact that some people just dont have time to build a car, or just dont want to.
The kits are more for the racers and people that want to customize with thier own radios and engines. Besides the engine and radio most RTRs are not that much different from the kit form. You might see a few more option parts.

Dbow
True, kits aren't all that hard once you follow instructions although Kyosho and Tamiya can have some pretty difficult kits due to the 6 language manuals. I too agree that RTR's benefit for those who don't get into the hobby or have too little time to go from ground up on building a car, although they don't know what they're missing in the fun of it.

It's common for someone to buy a RTR Savage or T-Maxx and rip out some stock parts, sell them, and upgrade with hop-ups from RPM, RRP, MIP and so forth. I bought an 80% MBX R2, tossed in a GS 21B01, Futaba 3PDF, ripped out the flat chassis, shock towers, rear dogbones and added CNC shock towers, kickup chassis, rear CVAs. I'm looking forward to getting an MBX5 next summer (probably an RR or XR if it's out by then).
Old 08-04-2003, 02:31 PM
usagi

I hope is this the end of this lack luster continuation of the issue. Back to the topic.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:35 PM
T-Maxx_CA

I perfer the kits better because you can coustomize your rc with the radio and other equipment you want. I started out with a kit for my first car and i think it makes the hobby a bit more interesting. I wish all RC's came with the option of buying the kit or RTR.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Fast Guy

Just to bail myself out here I don't think I worded my post properly. When I said "Kits are beyond the skill levels of most people." I should have said kits are beyond the skill levels of some people who buy RTR's. At my LHS I have seen more than once a Mom with little Bobby buy a RTR as the next step up from Radio Shack and I don't think these people know any more about the workings of an RC Car than they do about the family car. Some of these people show up at our race track and even with the generous help of 30 racers still are totally lost. I'm sure that truck goes home and is set up on a shelf and forgotten or sold. I can't see these people putting a kit together and getting it to work right. Not everyone has the mechanical talent like those on this forum to be successful in the hobby.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:11 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by usagi

One last comment about building, If one does not have time to build a kit, then how in the WORLD are they going to understand how it put together?

Anyways Kuma Your correct.
if you read my post you would see i hate building kits. i dont wnat to nor do i want to spend what time i have on building it.

how in the world am i going to know how to put it together? how did you figure out how to put together your kit? magic? years of experience? or reading the manual?

r and r on anything is easy for me. if i cant figure it out i look in the book.
i had to change the head gaskets on a LT1.
did i build that engine or firbird? NO!!! did i get the job done right with out problems? YEP !!!
ever open up a small block chevy? ....you wouldnt want to either.

this is the point we are all trying to make.

rtr pros
#1 gets people into the hobby(thats why they sell so many)
#2 beginners love the all inclusive package (some)
#3 nothing to do but add fuel and batteries
#4 people get fed up and sell them cheap

kit pros
#1 joy and satisfaction of building it (for some)
#2 choice of elec/engine
#3 sometimes better parts (ie tc3)
#4 knowledge of how it all goes together
#5 less expensive upfront for obvious reasons.

i stated my opions in an earlier post, so i wont get to far into in .......i think this is the 7th ot 8th thread like this i let myself get wrapped into...but once i saw the post i quoted i had to chime in again

LONG LIVE RTR !!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 12:57 AM
usagi

pack, I did read the first part of this thread. Peoblem is some people have gotten out of hand with some comments.

Sure if you don`t have the time its ok. But the way Dbow explained it in his last comment is what i was turned off by.

Once I lose the time i have for rc, I rather quit the hobby then having choose of buying a RTR.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:02 AM
gmac4826

another reason i dont like RTR is that the people that get them have no clue. its too easy to just get up and go. there is no skill needed at all to take a car out of the box put gas/batteries in it and go.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:45 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default WOW

Wow its really amazing how some of you show your age.

I have not put anyone down or anything of the sort, USagi made a statement in the thread that was not true. He didnt like the fact that I corrected him I guess, I simply responded to that statement and added my comments. I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I was not making it into a battle but Traxxas was not the first to the table. Usagi brought it up and I repsonded, its as simple as that.

As for Nitro flash you have already showed your behind so I really dont need to say anything more about that. Your post speaks for itself and says a lot about you.

Ive been here for quite a while and have answered lots of questions, with maybe one or two run ins with a cetain member. Other than that Im clean.

Do a search on my name and read the threads, my writing speaks for itself.

Dbow
Old 08-05-2003, 03:56 AM
usagi

Default Re: WOW

Originally posted by dbow
Wow its really amazing how some of you show your age.

I have not put anyone down or anything of the sort, USagi made a statement in the thread that was not true. He didnt like the fact that I corrected him I guess, I simply responded to that statement and added my comments. I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. I was not making it into a battle but Traxxas was not the first to the table. Usagi brought it up and I repsonded, its as simple as that.

As for Nitro flash you have already showed your behind so I really dont need to say anything more about that. Your post speaks for itself and says a lot about you.

Ive been here for quite a while and have answered lots of questions, with maybe one or two run ins with a cetain member. Other than that Im clean.

Do a search on my name and read the threads, my writing speaks for itself.

Dbow
HUM age????????????? well what is your problem! I am around 40 and your using the "age" flaming way to try to get back! god! your a a piece of art!

Well If this is a sample of your way of helping others the whole board is in trouble! Sorry but your as good as each comment you make bad or good! It this case you don`t look good at all.

Well it seems this thread is getting trashed! And soon it will be locked Good job DBOW :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: