Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Vote: Kit or RTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vote: Kit or RTR

As most of you know, the RTR was mainly started by Traxxas and boomed to popularity in the market years ago, now I'm seeing more demand in kits- I myself prefer a kit over RTR. Which do you prefer these days?
Old 07-31-2003, 03:29 PM
Gimp Racing

I like kits more b/c if something on the car brakes I know exactly where and usaly what broke. Plus building it is 1/2 the fun.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:55 PM
usagi

Kits! RTR is ok. But with the over killing of the industry of RTR I really hate it! People starting out or just a fun way to spend a short period of time without spending a ton its ok. But for the real r/c people its a true waste!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:04 PM
usagi

Kuma, if I may add to you comment...............
traxxas did start it and they are the top of the line for RTRs.........
But with the likes of HPI and their ways of DUMPING rtr in the R/C world. (Yes tamiya been doing it but not in the same way.) Has really caused a "BURP" or quick death to some would be r/c long term hobbyist. They say its bring in new people into the hobby, but what it really does is put the money into the r/c companies pockets, instead of other hobbies or outdoor family events. In the short term YES it brings in people, but in the long run it kills off the same short term people.
Just some food for thought
Old 07-31-2003, 04:23 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find building kits to be a relaxing hobby unto itself (that might explain the dozen or so cars in my collection that have never been run).

With a ready to run product, you don't have the sense of accomplishment the first time it moves under your control.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:53 PM
Kuma

I remember back in 1985 when I got my Kyosho Turbo Scorpion in a kit, had my father help me assemble it, it was so cool to see it run after we finished it in 5 days. That was the last time I did an RC kit, my MBX R2 was 80% so it was a kit in a way but not enough. I hope to get an MBX5 next summer and do the kit job.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:16 PM
gmac4826

i like a kit alot better but the only thing i hate is the price of the whole thing put together.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:19 PM
usagi

My first car was a kit around 1983. I had the pleasure to build the kit. It made me understand in the ins and outs.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:55 PM
rodrigo1508

I like kits better but I dont like that they dont come with radio system ... not that I like the radios of the rtr
Old 07-31-2003, 07:08 PM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by gmac4826
i like a kit alot better but the only thing i hate is the price of the whole thing put together.
I agree, when you nuy a kit, you dont wanna buy a POS radio system so after you have everything, you coulod of bought 2 rtrs
Old 07-31-2003, 07:32 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Thats very true.

With an RTR:

1) You gotta double check everything
2) Re-Loctite everything
3) Deal with the substandard parts
4) Radio..... nuff said !lol
5) RTR= Ready to Rebuild lol

Ram
Old 07-31-2003, 11:17 PM
gmac4826

yeah, the radios are horrible. the only radio that is any good is the xr2i and i have had engouh of JR so as soon as they send it back its up for sale.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Me+RC=$$$

Kit!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:05 AM
usagi

RTR are ok.....But I never bought 1/10 scale in this form.
I will not even introduce rtr 1/10 to my family. I rather teach them from the basics and build from there. It tells them if they like it or not. It might cost me a little more at the start if they don`t like it. But atleast they don`t get cought up in some thing they don`t want to get into if they don`t like it.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:27 PM
dbow

Default HPI

Traxxas didnt start anything, there were many on the table before Traxxas even thought about it.

Traxxas is a profitable company but HPI has the market share between the 2. The T-maxx may have changed things a bit recently But HPI has long been the leader in RTR in terms of sales and units sold.

Dbow
Old 08-01-2003, 11:37 PM
usagi

Default Re: HPI

Originally posted by dbow
Traxxas didnt start anything, there were many on the table before Traxxas even thought about it.

Traxxas is a profitable company but HPI has the market share between the 2. The T-maxx may have changed things a bit recently But HPI has long been the leader in RTR in terms of sales and units sold.

Dbow
hum traxxas has been the leader for some time now. HPi is a been doing it for a few years no. Not as long as traxxas has. The WORLD SCALE series was before traxxas, But traxxars been a leader way longer the HPI in TERMS of units sold.

RC 101 says Traxxas has been producing Ready To Run Way longer then HPI. Wow go back a few years and look for your self.

This is not a Traxxas VS HPI its just plain understand of the past.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:26 PM
dbow

Default HPI

Usagu,

You are right the battle is not between HPI and Traxxas.
Read it again that is not what I said.

I did not say that HPI was the first to do anything, I stated that there were OTHERS that were there first.

As for who has sold more units, where do you get your data?

RC101...lol Does not have profit data for companies.

Dbow
Old 08-02-2003, 07:00 PM
packfan88

you should have added a third option.

im somewhere in the middle. i would prefer a rolling chassis model. something like the team tc3 already assembled. no engine/radio/etc but all ready put together.

i know some of you find the task of building your kit satisfing and rewarding, but i am not of that clan. i am of the clan who likes to drop in my engine/radio and go.

my hopes is that when t/a releases its bft (or whatever its gonna be called) that they do so in the same ways they did the rc10gt,tc3,etc
you can get any of those in a kit or rtr, and it would be the onlymoster truck i can think of that would come that way.

i think t/a and kyosho are the only ones who understand that people are going to want to put something better than one of those cheap .21's or .21's into their kit. they let you make that choice of rtr or kit.

add a 3rd choice to it though.

#1 XXXXX
#2 XXXXX
#3 rolling chassis pre-built
Old 08-03-2003, 07:36 AM
usagi

problem is too many people make it into a battle between these to companies. Thats my point it always happens.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Fast Guy

RTR's are good for sales to newbies that may not even get into the hobby if they they had to build a kit. Kits are beyond the skill levels of most people. Experienced RC'ers would end up throwing away 1/2 the parts on a RTR to get the truck they want and need especially if their racing. I like kits as I race and have been in the hobby a while. A kit is actually a cheaper way for me to go to get the truck I need to race.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:33 AM
usagi

You have a good point, 80% of the time I buy the options and build them from them. Instead of buying a kit, Custom build to my liking.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:17 AM
gmac4826

its cheaper that way, you sell the crap you take out
Old 08-04-2003, 11:29 AM
dbow

Default Skill Level

Usagi,

I agree, you are right thats not what the thread is about. So I wont talk about that anymore.

Nitro Flash,

Originally posted by Nitro Flash
Kits are beyond the skill levels of most people

I would have to disagree with you on this, just about anyone can put a r/c car together. There are different levels of build quality and certain kits require a little more attention, but anyone can do it.
The setup is where a lot of new people run into the problem, but can learn with time.

I think the biggest factor for RTR is the fact that some people just dont have time to build a car, or just dont want to.
The kits are more for the racers and people that want to customize with thier own radios and engines. Besides the engine and radio most RTRs are not that much different from the kit form. You might see a few more option parts.

Dbow
Old 08-04-2003, 02:01 PM
usagi

Default Re: Skill Level

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dbow
[B]Usagi,

I agree, you are right thats not what the thread is about. So I wont talk about that anymore.

Nitro Flash,

Originally posted by Nitro Flash

Pardon me! But whats your problem? I dam sure do know what this thread is about. IF You just want to cause Problems Fine. But look some where else if you want trouble! :stupid: You have no understanding how people share data do you? Hum but after 15+ years in this hobby I THINK (DA I KNOW) what is said in here more then you probably do.
Geshhhhhhhhh :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:
Old 08-04-2003, 02:03 PM
dan1220

I dont think he was tryin to start a fight, I think he was trying NOT to start a fight. lets all calm down ppl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.