Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Soldering iron and supplies for beginner

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Soldering iron and supplies for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 PM
citizen16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering iron and supplies for beginner

Hi
I just purchased a Team Associated RC8Be Factory Team 1:8 scale Buggy kit. It does require some soldering. What is a good soldering iron to get. I'm looking for something that I can continue to use with RC cars. Any suggestions would be welcome.
thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 01:30 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Soldering iron and supplies for beginner

Any decent variable heat iron is fine, I got mine at radio shack for $65, works great. You want tons of zip ties (you will need them), I get mine from harbor freight. Shrink tubing, also harbor freight. A nice set of allen drivers, got mine from hobby king. Ass loads of body clips.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like a 40w. iron and use 60/40 rosin core solder
I use a flat tip for most soldering and a pointed tip for the small stuff. (Circuit bords)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Shabbernigdo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i prefer a 60w iron my self. Heats up quick and makes quick work of most if not all wire sizes you would normally come accrost with RC applications. as for solder i just use the standard stuff from radio shack.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
moe7404

on some things a reg iron might be to hot. fix this by getting a square electric metal that will hold 4 sockets, then get a cover that is made for 2 socket on one side and a switch on the other. then get a light bulb dimmer, and a 2 place socket, and 10 to 15 ft cable to plug into the wall. then mount the dimmer under the slot for switch, mount the 2 socket outlet. wire it so the dimmer runs the out lets. that will let you drop the irons heat.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Getting these tips would be good http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPR38&P=ML

And here is the iron http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPR36&P=ML
Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 PM
rc awesome

LOL. I bought some 15 dollar one runs on batterys, says that it heats up to 900 degrees. I need to solder some 8 gauge wire so i really doubt that i will do it. Its got the litle pointed iron for circut boards too.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM
OvalRacer99

ORIGINAL: moe7404

on some things a reg iron might be to hot. fix this by getting a square electric metal that will hold 4 sockets, then get a cover that is made for 2 socket on one side and a switch on the other. then get a light bulb dimmer, and a 2 place socket, and 10 to 15 ft cable to plug into the wall. then mount the dimmer under the slot for switch, mount the 2 socket outlet. wire it so the dimmer runs the out lets. that will let you drop the irons heat.

Whaaa??

I use a 65 watt soldering station for at home and a 100- 120 watt weller soldering gun at the track. When soldering, higher watt irons will heat material faster and make for a better all around solder joint.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I just have a $10 radio shack 40 watt soldering iron. It actually works really well for everything I have done. I have soldered 10 gauge wire with no problem. It might take a little longer than some iron's, but it works just fine. I use 60/40 rosin core solder.

When it comes to soldering, technique is more important than anything. Make sure your wire is good and hot before you apply solder(it sucks the solder in this way), make sure your soldering iron tip is clean by rubbing it on some sandpaper to get rid of all the old solder on the tip this way it can make a good connection with the wire to better transfer the heat. Always tin both wires with solder and then solder them together.

Im sure there are many more tricks people know, but I have followed those simple guidelines and had good luck soldering, even with my low $$ setup[8D]

Eric
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
citizen16

Thank You for the advice.  All of it will help.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

If you are just looking to solder battery connections and the like, a simple 30 OR 60 watt iron like the ones you find at hobby stores or hardware stores for $10 will be just fine along with some small gauge solder and some heatshrink.

However, if you are also looking to do some very fine soldering on PCBs etc, then you will want to look for a variable wattage soldering "station" with some clamps, sponge, multiple tips etc. etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

i use one of these, they're great irons and the variable is nice because ya can turn it down and leave it on while ya doing something else and its ready when you are.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Green-RC-Skin
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
moe7404

to: OvalRacer99 sorry i didnt do a good job of explaining. basically you just use a bulb dimmer to drop the current to a iron. it doesnt control the tip temperature like the hi dollar ones, but its easy to make.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Blkft1

,,,,,and Darnit' always where PANTS when your soldering!Those little molten gobs of solder sure do hurt.

P.S. eye protection too.