Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The reality about nitro engines.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM
swheels
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The reality about nitro engines.....

Diehard nitro with alittle gas on the side.But i cannot do electric to save my life. I always seem to burn up the batteries and i don't trust lipo's,can you tell i'm a little old school.
I got nitro engines that lasted me over 7yrs. The only problems i've ever had with them was brought on by myself. You knowwhen your racing and the other guys nitro car is faster then yours' So then you gotta go in the pits and lean your motor till it's begging for mercy to try and be faster.LOL Instead when you can just try and drive better on the track.LOL

Sometimes the people that complain about the nitro's don't tell you the truth about their encounters with them.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
bronx boy

i blew uo my first koysho also ran it to lean.but 37 cars and trucks later i love what ever i take out with my godson nitro/ electric . i must be getting the hang ov it just cleaned out my basement the other day .had 6 empty gallon bottles of nitro fuel and thats only the past year. my nitroes just keep going ang going .also my 25 year old electrics .dont get me wrong i drive hard and enjoy every minute of it
Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
hippie87

i recently got a sportwerks mayhem st, it started leaking when im trying to start it, not sure what it is, or where its coming from, its only leaking when im trying to get it started
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: hippie87

i recently got a sportwerks mayhem st, it started leaking when im trying to start it, not sure what it is, or where its coming from, its only leaking when im trying to get it started
Make sure the head bolts are tight. The first engine I ever had did this and since i was new to it, it took me a while to figure it out. Tighten the head bolts in a star pattern and go in small increments until they all feel tight if they are loose.

Eric
Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Im glad this thread seems to be on topic so far and that most people agree with what im saying.

Im a gearhead myself, so its only natural for me to love everything about nitro. Its just something about a small internal combusion engine cranking that kind of rpm and making as much power as they do for their size. Just gives ya that warm fuzzy feeling to hear one instantly jump off of a low idle, wind tight, bang 2nd gear and go screaming by you at 30k rpm

Eric
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Dont get me wrong I love nitro but you wont see me going nitro anytime soon just because I have so much money invested into electrics. That and driving down the mountain for fuel is a pita..
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Midwest_Mudder

I love nitro motors. I've been around motors all my life so tuning and such with a nitro motor is natural. Never had a good experience with electric motors. I have 5 chainsaw motors layin around with clutches that are going into a project that a friend of mine and i are working on. Its a fun time.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Im glad this thread seems to be on topic so far and that most people agree with what im saying.

Im a gearhead myself, so its only natural for me to love everything about nitro. Its just something about a small internal combusion engine cranking that kind of rpm and making as much power as they do for their size. Just gives ya that warm fuzzy feeling to hear one instantly jump off of a low idle, wind tight, bang 2nd gear and go screaming by you at 30k rpm

Eric
Maybe that's got to have something to do with it, because I'm one as well. I've done major internal work on my full scale engine, I watch Top Gear, and I love nitro RC.

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Dont get me wrong I love nitro but you wont see me going nitro anytime soon just because I have so much money invested into electrics. That and driving down the mountain for fuel is a pita..

It's not all that expensive to get into. Get the right truck and literally all you need to buy is fuel and alkalines. The MGTs are the first ones off the top of my head that are that complete.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Nitro Fumes

You got that right. Sure, when I first got into nitro in '83 I had my problems. But I learned from the experienced drivers. I started in racing 1/8 on rod cars. One of the things I learned is that when you are suddenly having trouble is "DON'T MESS WITH THE CARB SETTINGS". It is more likely to be the glow plug or maybe a pressure leak. Check all your fuel lines and make sure the air filter is clean. I now also have an HPI Baja 5b and frankly I have had a lot more problems with those spark ignition engines than I ever had with nitro engines. Of course I'm going through a learning curve there too. But its a bigger learning curve. But I think I now have a handle on these engines. In fact I see a lot of people have trouble with these gas engines. Just go to the HPI Baja forum and you'll see it in the Engines sub forum. There are enough experts to get you going again. So as far as I'm concerned Nitro engines are easy and almost trouble free.

I should add in the 80's when I was also doing electrics too I had more trouble with them than I ever had with Nitro too. I'm sure electrics are much better now with brushless motors and lipo batteries and I know they are just as fast and in some caes faster, but I'll take the sounds of internal combustion and exhaust smoke over the sound of gear whine any day.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 AM
The Hedgehog

Yep I can bash a nitro much longer than bashing an electric without getting bored silly. Just love the fact it's a working engine, and I love to wrench on 1:1 cars so that's part of it for me too. Plus hearing the revs is so much cooler for me.

After about 7 years of running nitro, tuning is literally a 30 second deal for me, I can diagnose any problem that occurs. Sometimes when electrics let out smoke there is no rhyme or reason.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:39 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

my second hobby-grade car was a abused evader with a abused Cv-r engine. it gave me all kinds of hell, mostly because it had 0 pinch, as soon as i threw a ofna red-head in there, ive never had a issue with nitro again.
sounds like my 1st hobby grade RC a HPI Nitro RS4 MT1
I foolishly believed the ebay ad that said it runs great... (didn't know at the time) I thought I was the issue and the Hobby shop I went to at the time was filled with nimrods who couldn't tell the engine had absolutely 0 pinch, and instead kept trying to sell me crap to fix it (glad I didn't buy anything from them) They said the engine was in great shape...
Replaced engine never had another issue with the power plant of the RC. Now as the rest only things left from the day I got it (literally) are 3 dogbones, diffs, and CVD drive shafts... Everything else broke on that RC from moderate driving. Don't know where the guy stored it seeing its parts were so brittle I could crack em in half in my hand.

I'm guessing stuff like that has happened to alot of the people who hate nitro and say its hard to use

BTW I've tried replying 5 times to this thread but the issues with RCU keep it from being posted (thinking of ditching this place already) seeing I can only connect to here like ONCE a day recently.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man don't ditch it, it is still a decent site it does run slooowww sometimes. good to have you posting.
What R/C do youhave now.... Still NITRO....
Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: schuttman

Man don't ditch it, it is still a decent site it does run slooowww sometimes. good to have you posting.
Between the server issues, seeing the same 5 or 10 screen names in the car section every time I hit F5, and the fact that I can ask a simple question about radios here, get no replies for over a day, pop the same question at RCU and have an answer in exactly 10 minutes, I'm starting to wonder why I come here as well. Not only that, but apparently here one is looked down upon for liking stick radios, while over at RCZ they don't seem to care.

But then I remember RCU has this one guy who's just completely bonkers. 'Squirrely Wrath' is a fitting title indeed...

What R/C do you have now.... Still NITRO....
NTC3
Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: 378

Between the server issues, seeing the same 5 or 10 screen names in the car section every time I hit F5, and the fact that I can ask a simple question about radios here, get no replies for over a day, pop the same question at RCU and have an answer in exactly 10 minutes, I'm starting to wonder why I come here as well. Not only that, but apparently here one is looked down upon for liking stick radios, while over at RCU they don't seem to care.
I blame the server :P
I can only access the site for what seems like 10 minutes a day now and no amount of reloading in the world will let me reconnect.

Hell I haven't been able to upload a pic in over a week from it timing out.
I'm guessing there are alot more seeing from what used to have like 20 people viewing the forum at a time its down to 3-4 (as I see now)

schuttman 3 nitros, and a pile of elecs (more or less for cooler weather)
But most my elecs I can just rip the electric motor out and refit my nitro engine, with a gas tank (most are conversions from rollers)
Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Moontan13

Noise is another reason I'll mainly be doing electrics.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All nitros 4 to be exact now SC8 RC10GT2 Mugen MST1 for dirt oval and working on a Mugen MST1 for stadium truck. All of the pile of elects are for sale 15+yr old parts cars I havent run elect in 15 yrs, NITROonly for me....
A stick radio???? You can use what you want it does not bother me, its all in what you like!!!!!!
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: 378

Between the server issues, seeing the same 5 or 10 screen names in the car section every time I hit F5, and the fact that I can ask a simple question about radios here, get no replies for over a day, pop the same question at RCU and have an answer in exactly 10 minutes, I'm starting to wonder why I come here as well. Not only that, but apparently here one is looked down upon for liking stick radios, while over at RCU they don't seem to care.
I blame the server :P
I can only access the site for what seems like 10 minutes a day now and no amount of reloading in the world will let me reconnect.

Hell I haven't been able to upload a pic in over a week from it timing out.
I'm guessing there are alot more seeing from what used to have like 20 people viewing the forum at a time its down to 3-4 (as I see now)

schuttman 3 nitros, and a pile of elecs (more or less for cooler weather)
But most my elecs I can just rip the electric motor out and refit my nitro engine, with a gas tank (most are conversions from rollers)
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM

All nitros 4 to be exact now SC8 RC10GT2 Mugen MST1 for dirt oval and working on a Mugen MST1 for stadium truck. All of the pile of elects are for sale 15+yr old parts cars I havent run elect in 15 yrs, NITRO only for me....
lol. The only running car I have is my NTC3. It's a complete lunatic. I have an 18 CV-RX in it, and I'm running hard compound off-road tires, so if I think about using more than half throttle it just starts into a four wheel drift before spinning uncontrollably. It's an absolute blast to drive!

Aside from that, I have these retired vehicles: One CEN MT2, one Mini-Z MR01, one Mini-T. The CEN was retired because it is so floppy I'm afraid to drive it. It also loves to eat clutch bells, and it ran away last time I drove it. The OS engine just beat it to a pulp. I'll eventually throw some bearings, new screws, new diff cases(The screw holes are stripped), and a four stroke in it and have it running good, but for now it's shelf candy. The MiniZ is flood damaged and has a burnt FET. It moves in one direction only. The Mini-T has no electronics whatsoever. Doesn't even have tires. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with either of them.

A stick radio???? You can use what you want it does not bother me, its all in what you like!!!!!!
I didn't plan on listening to the haters. The 4YF 2.4ghz is a damn nice four channel radio, and best of all I can buy it at my LHS. They have it in stock. They want 125 for it, while Tower wants 99, but honestly I'd rather buy it locally and support my LHS if I can help it. Also, instant gratification and all that.

I think part of why I prefer stick radios is all the toy grades I grew up with in the 90s. They all had stick radios. Then there's all the gaming I do. I'm a PC gamer when I'm not playing with my RCs, and I use a 360 pad in any game that involves lots of driving. So between those two reasons my thumbs are far better at controlling cars than my index finger and right hand.