Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

making a custom chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making a custom chassis

unless your pro i'ld say cutting and drilling carbon fibre will be hard as hell and your chassis with turn out dodgee.

having said that, if you can make semi decent custom carbon parts your car would be sweet.

Once saw a model solar car made by 16 year olds (supposedly)
which was just one piece of carbon sheet and they had curved it at one end (some how) so the chassis was in a sort of tear drop shape.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:44 AM
My Feedback: (2)

that is so cool. I really like it. YOu could make a TON of money of those it think. good job man. I am still just shocked that is sweet. i wish i had the machines to do somthing like that good job :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-03-2003, 09:53 AM

Man!! that is one sweet looking chassis you got there :thumbup:
Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all very much
Old 09-04-2003, 01:12 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Very nice job galaxy. Now how bout a pic of it installed?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:42 PM

Rex will be takin care of that,he's got nicer wheels If you guys had a chassis like that would you run with it on?It would kinda be useless if not..maybe for concourse competitions.i would run with it,I think the battle scars will contrast the satin finished part nicely How much would you guys pay for something like that?
Old 09-04-2003, 02:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

honestly, i wouldnt want a chassis with that on the bottom. It looks cool as hell but Its gonna get all sorts of balled up anyway. Maybe if it was just a show car then i could see where it would be of use.

Bl
Old 09-04-2003, 04:24 PM

I think what i'm going to do is go to a Ski/Snowboard shop here and pic up some of the clear stick on film to protect it from getting scratched.My freind has had that stuff on his graphite chassis for years and he has yet to scratch thru it to the graphite.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:30 PM

oh sweet,that would work good,I've ever seen that stuff around here.I put a clearcoat on it but that won't save a damn thing but fingerprints.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:38 PM

Yeah it seems to work pretty good on my Friends graphite chassis.Skiers use it to protect their skis from getting scratched by rocks and stuff so It should work great on the chassis.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by nodolarsnosense
unless your pro i'ld say cutting and drilling carbon fibre will be hard as hell and your chassis with turn out dodgee.

having said that, if you can make semi decent custom carbon parts your car would be sweet.

Once saw a model solar car made by 16 year olds (supposedly)
which was just one piece of carbon sheet and they had curved it at one end (some how) so the chassis was in a sort of tear drop shape.
That's a litle different. You can get carbon fibre that you have to mold yourself. I don't think you can do it at home. i know a guy who did an entire sub enclosure in his gti out of carbon fibre. He worked in a tuning shop and they make their own hood and door panels and stuff.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:40 PM

Default RE: making a custom chassis

I'm just glad to see this thread is still here...I started another one yesterday and when I drill it I'm gonna do maybe 5 of em until I get a program done,or started.Hopefully we'll get to see a few pics of it mounted soon
Old 09-10-2003, 11:57 PM

Hey galaxy I don't know if the PM's are working but I can't send one for some reason.I could earlier today but now it's saying I don't have permission?Anyway I can got the Chassis and it looks great I'm going to put it on tonight but won't be able to post pics since my nice new camera is now a 300$ paper weight but when I get it fixed i'll post some pics of it on the car.Looks Great though!!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default RE: So what's the verdict?

GALAXY
i forgot to say your flame chassis looks sweet
i wouldnt use it for fear of scratching it
just put it in the glass cabinet (metaphorically)
Old 09-11-2003, 04:49 PM

Thank you nodolarsnosense....glad to hear ya got it Rex.I tried PM'ing you on yahoo but I don't know if ya got it.The one I started on yesterday became 6 today and I'm gonna try a few different finishes on these...Anodized,powdercoated,and polished.I'm also gonna see about getting rid of some of the metal and go for a more super chassis style but I think those are a bit thicker so it might flex too much...we'll see.Let me know if anything is wierd or doesn't fit on the chassis.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:17 PM

Been awhile...I still have the 5 bolted together and might do them when I get a chance to mess with programming the CNC.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:40 PM

wow... that looks just like a factory chassis if not better, do think they would withstand off road? i know that the gas trucks come with alum chassis but i have a bk2 that i would love to have an aluminum chassis on, would it work or would it flex to much?