Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM
punchritch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default superchargers

Anyone out there supercharged there rc truck? I plan on doing a supercharge upgrade and would like to know if there are any draw backs to it?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: superchargers

yeah, I put them on all my trucks, it gives double the HP and there's no negative effects
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

LOL, sloppy, you're a jerk
Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
sloppyG

oh yeah, I goofed up I meant the opposite of that

Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bro, fitting one of these blowers to a two stroke is an express flight to Rebuild Town for your engine. The absolute best you can hope for is that it just pushes excess fuel over the piston crown, but more than likely it's going to make it run like ass, overheat, run lean, run rich, and be very very touchy.

Short answer: Don't do it.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
nitroholic

I'll be honest,i never had one but from what i'v heard and read over and over nothing good except of course from the companies point of veiw.I thought about it,then i thought myself out of it.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM
rcpowerhorse

every so often one of these threads comes up and the replies are always the same.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpowerhorse

every so often one of these threads comes up and the replies are always the same.
Yes, it's pretty much agreed that the RB Innovations Supercharger (see link below) doesn't work, with most people saying a supercharger can't work in a two stroke. I think one can, but perhaps the RD one isn't up to the job. If I had a chunk of cash to waste, I might try one, but with a Buku pipe to help compensate for the changing boost. Getting everything tuned might be nightmarish, but there might be a small chance of success.

But, for now, I'm staying away from one as the vast majority of internet info isn't good on these things.

Mind you, there's the odd person who seems to get one to work. Here's a video by Brent Davis using one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvEZN9KXTko[/youtube]

Supertib was going to do some experimenting with compressed air feeding an engine on his dyno, but he's either been too busy or he might have posted about it and I missed it.

Info Link: http://www.rbinnovations.com/Exceed_...p/rbk10599.htm
Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Simply put.... It doesn't work...
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 AM
DaveG55

Boy, oh boy, another supercharger thread. As has been said, these threads always go the same way. Most say they wno't/can't work. Someone else will chime in that they have/had one that worked great. And then all the technical guru's/crap will kick in and the thread just spirials downward from there. Do a search on the fourm - you will see what we mean!!

Now I've never had one (and won't) so I don't know if they work or not.
I do know my opinion about them and it has nothing to do with whether they work or not. They add a tremendous amount of extra complexity to an already finiky engine. If you want more power then IMO, it's far better to just go to a new, larger engine. Much less complexity, much more power and you'll probably spend less overall than trying to get a supercharger to work.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have never had one, but i can see how they would be a tuning nightmare

the only advantage i can see would be at the high end rpm's. but i dont see the possible increase being worth the money or tuning headaches.

instead of a supercharger, why not try a flux capacitor?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no.

get a engine with a built in turbine, they make em, it takes the wasted gasses from the back of the backing plate and redirects it back right after the carb. havent tried one though.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
moe7404

last summer i spent 4 week trying to get one to work, and im retired so i had the time. i think they might work if its made right, i think theirs might work if it had a bigger impeller, and a better drive belt. only maybe. i gave mine away.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
rc awesome

It'll make your motor a nightmare to tune, and kill it pretty quickly
Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 PM
DanMN

I don't even see how it is possible that one could work on a glow engine? Having ripped a few apart in my day, not sure how pressurizing incoming air any more than it already is would be of any help.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Top Fuel cars have superchargers... I dont know about getting one to work in a rc car.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

All the comments in this thread are interesting, but I get the feeling that the majority of them are an opinion or paraphrasing of what was read elsewhere, not actually based on any real experience.So, with that in mind, is there anyone out there who has actually done some testing, before and after, to see exactly what one of these superchargers does to a nitro motor? Personally, nitro superchargers sound like a gimmick to me, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used one, and more importantly, I'd like to see some real data to back up any claims that it actually works.

My opinion on superchargers: I've never owned one, but I don't see how you can build any decent amount of pressure in the combustion chamber when the exhaust port is open as the intake charge is coming in. I would think all that pressure would just shoot past the chamber and out the exhaust. Now if you could have a valved system then maybe it would be a valuble modification. Think of it this way, for the $120 or so you will spend on a supercharger, you can send your motor out to an engine modder and get a nice power gain.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You wanna be the guinea pig on a $200 product that by all accounts does not work?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 PM

If you really want one of these things to work you need to snag a four stroke. Put it on that and yes you will get gains.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Nitro Fumes

That's what tuned pipes are for.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 AM
sloppyG

for the cost of the stupidcharger, you could just buy a more powerful motor
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM
rasper

Get a bigger motor if you want more power/speed, like SloppyG said. If this supercharger really did work, then why are there no standard motors coming out with it fitted, why is it a bolt on product?

Its like a 1:1 car....get a bolt on turbo, boost it and see how long your standard motor lasts for. Want decent boost, then do it right from the biginning, or just go Normal Aspirated.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
cooldriver385

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Top Fuel cars have superchargers... I dont know about getting one to work in a rc car.
The pure nitromethane engines in those dragsters are designed to be supercharged from the beginning. They generate 8000+ horsepower, but after they do one run on the track, they tear it down and completely rebuild the engine.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Top Fuel cars have four stroke engines. Our RCs do not. In a four stroke one valve is open at a time(Ignoring valve overlap, anyways, it's negligible for this discussion), so there's nowhere for all that A/F to go. You can force more in and net a more powerful combustion. In a two stroke, both 'valves' are open at the same time. Any attempt to force fuel and air into the combustion chamber is going to be met with air and fuel escaping right back into the exhaust system. Glow engines have enough trouble with this naturally aspirated, hence why tuned pipes are so effective. Putting even more pressure into the system is not going to help in any way.

But hey, you're not SOL if you want to make a supercharger work on an RC! They're rare and very expensive, but you can find either an FS-26C or FS-40C, in both pull and non-pull forms. These engines were made by OS for cars. They have a more car oriented carburetor and intake manifold, they have a higher RPM cam grind than their plane counterparts, I believe they had stiffer valve springs, and they're four strokes. The FS26 bolts in where a small block two stroke would, while the FS40 fits in a big block car. You can boost them to the moon and back, your only limit being the structural tolerance of the engine itself. You can also convert a plane four stroke into a car engine pretty easily, but you'll need a starter box and you may need to get a custom cam ground.

Oh, and before you bring up Detroit Diesel 2 strokes, remember that they only have intake ports. They lack exhaust ports, instead using standard poppet valves. They can and do respond well to boosting, and in fact require boost just to run. But our engines do not operate in this manner, so they don't have any business in the RC supercharger debate.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

RCU does have a search button... Just FYI...

Like 378 says, a SC won't work on these types of engines because there are no exhaust valves to build up pressure against. All you end up doing is pushing a bunch of un-combusted fuel / air through the engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.