Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Running nimh on lipo mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM
cirec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running nimh on lipo mode

I know you shouldn't run lipos on nimh mode but would there be anything bad about running nimh batteries on lipo mode? I only have one lipo right now so I am still going to use nimh. I don't want to keep switching modes back and forth.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: Running nimh on lipo mode

the bad thing is that nimh don't hold voltage as well as lipo, and the cut off will shut you down well before the nimh pack is out of energy

once you put a good load on the nimh pack the voltage drops and the ESC will think you're out of juice
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Sloppy said the cut off will shut you down early. NiMh drop their voltage every time you pull the trigger. Even with really good NiMh packs this drop has been enough to activate the cutoff after only a couple of minutes of driving.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

It's fine to do. Just set the cut-off  "plenty low" With a little experimentation you can actually use the lvc to tell you when to stop running with the NIMH pack.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
cooldriver385

Just switch it back and forth 'cause if try and do that trick with the LVC you'll risk forgetting to switch the cutoff for the lipo and kill it.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Ttowntoolman

I run lipo's without a low voltage cut off set on any of my ESC's. As soon as you pull the trigger and your motor feels flat, it is time to stop and charge. I have been doing this for over two years and have not had a problem at all. So MY solution would be to turn the LVC off. Just be sensitive to the car your running, it is obvious when it's time to stop and charge, just don't push it, if it feels a bit flat stop, it's time to charge. My 2 cent's worth......