Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

just need to get rid of my anger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just need to get rid of my anger.

okay well heres what happened. i was trying to see if some shocks from my twister would work on the bandit, and my dad sees me removing it. then he asks me why im breaking it. i told him im not im just trying to see if this would work on it. then he said its not a good idea to be messing around with a $100 car. i told him that its just a part of what you are supposed to do in the hobby. so he said, well i don't like that so don't do it, i know what im talking about. this just about makes me extremely angry!!!! he always thinks he knows what hes talking about!!!! i showed him it when i put it back on, and he said, i don't like you trying to open up a $100 car. I told him that its my car, what does he care? he just doesn't listen. this is maybe the 100th time he has said something to me about doing something wrong to my car, when im not!!!!! its getting annoying!!!!!!

Alright im done with my anger. just had to share.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: just need to get rid of my anger.

1st lesson in dealing dad's that dont get your hobby.......dont argue your point right then.
wait till later, when he has calmed down. always helped me and my dad talk things out.

and you can always try the " its teaching me how to take things apart and rebuild them" line. that it will help you work on real cars and such later on in life
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL. I've been on the Dad end of that one. And the Savage was his, but it was expensive and his history of working on his bicycle ended up with no brakes, no rear derailer shifting, etc.

I ended up doing the Savage work for him.

BUT, I was wrong. How will he ever learn if he doesn't try for himself? After all, it's not the $500 Savage, or the $100 car; it's the $5 part, or maybe even the $20 part, that might become a problem.

It's a cheap learning curve, and the type of experience one needs to build on for when Dad isn't around to help, or for more complicated things you'll encounter later in life, like rebuilding your MX engine, or working on your full size car.

Maybe print this off (so he doesn't see your original post). He needs to let you do the work. If you're successful, that's great. If not, you'll know better for the next time.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah, you see if i try that line, he will flip out at me. its hard to explain how my dad works. he thinks that anything that requires you to turn screwdrivers makes you dumb. im always thinking to myself when he says that, "and i won't be the one taking in the car for a #@$@ oil change when i can just buy oil for $5 and do it myself rather than getting someone to do it for $80." Yeah, he doesn't even know how to change the oil in a car.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Argess

LOL. I've been on the Dad end of that one. And the Savage was his, but it was expensive and his history of working on his bicycle ended up with no brakes, no rear derailer shifting, etc.

I ended up doing the Savage work for him.

BUT, I was wrong. How will he ever learn if he doesn't try for himself? After all, it's not the $500 Savage, or the $100 car; it's the $5 part, or maybe even the $20 part, that might become a problem.

It's a cheap learning curve, and the type of experience one needs to build on for when Dad isn't around to help, or for more complicated things you'll encounter later in life, like rebuilding your MX engine, or working on your full size car.

Maybe print this off (so he doesn't see your original post). He needs to let you do the work. If you're successful, that's great. If not, you'll know better for the next time.
I should print your post......good idea.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Argess

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

yeah, you see if i try that line, he will flip out at me. its hard to explain how my dad works. he thinks that anything that requires you to turn screwdrivers makes you dumb.

Well, that's not good. But keep in mind, if you go ahead and do the shock change anyway, things might get a lot worse.

You're going to have to think of some way to show him your capabilties so he can build confidence in you. Probably something other than RCs for now, and something with zero risk of going wrong. You dont' want the opposite effect to happen.

Using wrenchs and screwdrivers with your hobby isn't dumb. Now playing golf could be thought of as dumb... hitting a ball with a stick until it goes into a hole over and over and over again.

By the way, you could point out that merely driving the car is more likely to result in a much more expensive accident that you merely trying to swap shocks.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yep. my dads pretty tough to cooperate with. im afraid to even buy things with my own money (more specifically ask him to order something online for me and then i give him money for it) because he will 90% of the time yell at me. and i was thinking of getting a nitro but now am not so confident that im going to receive it because the last time i had a nitro things didn't go too well and for some odd reason my dad blamed it on the car, when really it was my fault. so he now thinks every nitro car is like the old one i had.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Eman77

He's worried about you taking a shock off of a RTR vehicle? Does he realize that there are many, many kits out there that REQUIRE you to build the RC vehicle? Yikes.

I think turning a screwdriver only enables you further. The more you know (about RCs, real cars, all that), the less chance of a mechanic or shop screwing you out of your money.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 PM
electricrc68
Banned

i know thats what i try telling him! you know what i should do? i should buy a kit, and tell him "try and build this." he will then say no and i will build it, im pretty sure i can since i have taken many things off my bandit and put them back on, and show him that i can do things.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Eman77

I love building kits (I'm a big Tamiya fan - their instructions are fantastic). Once I build one, I feel far more comfortable in taking things apart to troubleshoot or fix issues, since I know the vehicle so well by then.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:00 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah. i was thinking a tamiya if i ever got a kit. i was thinking of getting a nitro car, but i am pretty sure that my dad is going to flip out on me if i ask him.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 PM
sloppyG

yeah, you see if i try that line, he will flip out at me. its hard to explain how my dad works. he thinks that anything that requires you to turn screwdrivers makes you dumb. im always thinking to myself when he says that, ''and i won't be the one taking in the car for a #@$@ oil change when i can just buy oil for $5 and do it myself rather than getting someone to do it for $80.'' Yeah, he doesn't even know how to change the oil in a car.
it's funny when people have that attitude

they're calling a guy who they're giving $40-50 an hour to do a basic task the dumb one...

it's pretty sad how "man" skills are dying...
Old 05-05-2011, 02:55 PM
sloppyG

i know thats what i try telling him! you know what i should do? i should buy a kit, and tell him ''try and build this.'' he will then say no and i will build it, im pretty sure i can since i have taken many things off my bandit and put them back on, and show him that i can do things.
LOL if you buy a kit he'll probably make you take it back because he'll think it's broken and you got ripped off
Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, you see if i try that line, he will flip out at me. its hard to explain how my dad works. he thinks that anything that requires you to turn screwdrivers makes you dumb. im always thinking to myself when he says that, ''and i won't be the one taking in the car for a #@$@ oil change when i can just buy oil for $5 and do it myself rather than getting someone to do it for $80.'' Yeah, he doesn't even know how to change the oil in a car.
yea last time the car I own had its oil changed (prior to me owning it) they did 2 things wrong
1 put the wrong oil filter on
2 didn't screw it on all the way.
last owner thought it was burning oil like mad, and told me it takes 2 quarts a month...
I changed the oil put the proper filter on I don't put a drop of oil in till next change, and its still full.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

i know thats what i try telling him! you know what i should do? i should buy a kit, and tell him ''try and build this.'' he will then say no and i will build it, im pretty sure i can since i have taken many things off my bandit and put them back on, and show him that i can do things.
LOL if you buy a kit he'll probably make you take it back because he'll think it's broken and you got ripped off
LOL he probably will!!! i can just imagine him saying that......
Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was first starting in the hobby, my dad would sit and watch me tear apart my first hobby grade cars... eventually he got the itch and bought a nitro kyosho dodge ram so he could tear it apart too.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
electricrc68
Banned

i wish my dad was like yours proanti1. he just hates working on things with a passion for some reason.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

yea last time the car I own had its oil changed (prior to me owning it) they did 2 things wrong
last owner thought it was burning oil like mad, and told me it takes 2 quarts a month...
I changed the oil put the proper filter on I don't put a drop of oil in till next change, and its still full.
Wow. they must have sucked at their job.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Wow. they must have sucked at their job.

Jiffy lube (according to the sticker)

My favorite was once I was at pep-boys getting a tire replaced (blew em out power sliding ) and the people in front of me car's engine seized. Seems they had the coolant system flushed, and pep-boys forgot to refill it. [:@]

your old man probably gets ripped off left and right

Why I try and fix almost anything I can myself that doesn't need specialty tools.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yep. he probably does get ripped off. and how do they forget to put in the coolant? thats pretty bad of them. the same thing applies with rc too. if you fix it yourself, its less expensive than taking it to LHS for $35 an hour.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Argess

i wish my dad was like yours proanti1.
Now, now, don't say that. All Dad's have their pro's and con's. It's just unfortunate he doesn't share your passion for mechanical things.

Maybe find a You-Tube video on how to change shocks and let him watch it with you. The narrator will probably have a calm, easy going way about him, and make the whole thing look like fun as well as being easy.

Now that's not a bad idea... pick anything you want to do, find a suitable You-Tube video and see if you can get him to watch it with you. If that fails, you're in a really tough spot.

Sidenote: I almost always change my own oil. I've had the garage do it a few times (as it was in for a Safety Check), and once they left the oil filler cap off, and another time, they stripped the oil drain plug hole in the pan. Mind you, once I was doing several things at once, checking the oil and tuning the twin SU carbs on my old MGB I had. Left the dipstick out (odd I even let go if it) and went for a test drive to check the carbs. Whole engine bay was covered in oil when I got back. Mistakes do happen.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks argess. but i always try getting him to watch a youtube video, and he always says "Im working right now okay?" or "im not in the mood."
Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 PM
jessiej

okay thanks argess. but i always try getting him to watch a youtube video, and he always says ''Im working right now okay?'' or ''im not in the mood.''

Perhaps he is working, or maybe tired from working.

Does he earn the money to pay for your cars, food, housing, etc.? If not, you can just move away and do as you please with your cars and not be bothered.

Seams simple enough.

jess
Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 PM
electricrc68
Banned

well im only 14. i can't move away. and thats his excuse for everything.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 PM
electricrc68
Banned

why would i even want to move away right now anyway? i like it where i am right now......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.