Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Hey I'm new! Whats a good RC to start with?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hey I'm new! Whats a good RC to start with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hey I'm new! Whats a good RC to start with?

ORIGINAL: moe7404

find a good r/c shop that realy knows what they are doing. ask there advice. most likely it is best to buy the brand they have the most stock of parts. go to the parks near and talk to the r/c ers there.
only problem is alot of RC shop employees sound smart, and like they know what they are doing till you learn more and find out that they had no idea what they were talking about.

1st hobby shop I went to I listened to them about nitro, turns out the guys there were WAY off in their recommendations. Hell they told me traxxas top-fuel was the BEST fuel on the market, and charged way more than the shop I now get fuel from for it... Also if I ran a nitro in the manner they told me I would have trashed the engine.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 PM
William5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

OK, lets clear a few things up...

Electric is faster than nitro at the top level (serious money for motors, speed controllers and batteries though, and they still have the runtime problem, whereas a nitro engine you can just fill it up again and off you go), but nitro is faster than electric at the lower levels.

Now, you mention gas-powered, but I wonder if you really mean it...gas powered cars are at maximum (in other words at their smallest) 1/6th scale. Using real gas engines, which take a mixture of 2 strok oil and gasoline (petrol). These are by far the most expensive models in intial investment, with the cheapest running you $900 on the road, BUT, they have low running costs, low maintenance, and the engines last forever. After a few years of ownership, you would be saving money compared to electric and nitro, despite the high initial investment.

You mention on road and off road. For your first RC, you should go off-road. An off road car can run on the pavement outside the house, AND down at the local playing field or whatever. An on-road has to stick to less bumpy surfaces.

As for brands, everyone has their preferences, but the bottom line is; you can't beat an HPI. They are the most popular brand in the hobby, reasonably priced, well supported and of good quality. I strongly recommend that you look at the Savage range of monster trucks for your first RC. They are fast enough, and do great stunts and jumps. If you get an electric, you can upgrade it to brushless and make them silly fast. HPI even makes a brushless savage out of the box, called the Savage Flux, which is, honestly, un-frikkin-believably fast and fun, but it's expensive, and more batteries will be very expensive too, and once again, compared to nitro or gas engined cars, you will have only as much run time as batteries you take with you.

I strongly recommend you consider this. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAZAN**&P=ML

The car is bulletproof, and when you do break it, every shop in the world (almost) carries spares. It has a decent nitro (or glow) engine out of the box, which is also cheap to replace when you inevitably fry it, as we all do our first nitro engines. Owning a Savage is something everyone should do in their RC car career, and is also an excellent choice for a first RC, it will give you many hours of fun for few hours of frustration. Oh, and by the way, it comes with a 2.4ghz radio which is a great feature, no need to worry about interference from other models ever. 2.4Ghz radios are virtually immune to any interference.
Hey..thanks you so much for the great information...
I am really going with your choice..I feel that for the strating I should go for Savage..I am thinking to buy this one
Savage X 4.6..Isthis one is worth for me ???
Or should I go for another one..or any other updation in model??
Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 AM
stoya789

I had a savage X and it handled like a turd on wheels. It was wayyy heavy and tipped over constantly from itsd high CG. I ended up breaking the rear differental and sold it immediately after. After that I got a Revo 3.3 and the difference is night and day. It handles so much better its not even funny. Its faster and more nimble, it jumps better, it corners better, it looks better, its lighter, has better suspension, lower CG, has electric start, two speed tranny, has reverse. Do yourself a favor and get a revo 3.3 I promise you wont regret it. GET A SAVAGE IF YOU WANT A HEAVY TRUCK THAT HANDLES LIKE CRAP BUT HAS ALOT OF POWER. By the way, the savage burns more fuel than revo 3.3 so you will go through more fuel if you get a savage. I hope this helps, I have owned both
Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Get a Savage. The Revo is just a truggy that didnt make it.....

ORIGINAL: stoya789

I had a savage X and it handled like a turd on wheels. It was wayyy heavy and tipped over constantly from itsd high CG. I ended up breaking the rear differental and sold it immediately after. After that I got a Revo 3.3 and the difference is night and day. It handles so much better its not even funny. Its faster and more nimble, it jumps better, it corners better, it looks better, its lighter, has better suspension, lower CG, has electric start, two speed tranny, has reverse. Do yourself a favor and get a revo 3.3 I promise you wont regret it. GET A SAVAGE IF YOU WANT A HEAVY TRUCK THAT HANDLES LIKE CRAP BUT HAS ALOT OF POWER. By the way, the savage burns more fuel than revo 3.3 so you will go through more fuel if you get a savage. I hope this helps, I have owned both
Old 05-28-2011, 07:34 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I had a savage X and it handled like a turd on wheels. It was wayyy heavy and tipped over constantly from itsd high CG. I ended up breaking the rear differental and sold it immediately after. After that I got a Revo 3.3 and the difference is night and day. It handles so much better its not even funny. Its faster and more nimble, it jumps better, it corners better, it looks better, its lighter, has better suspension, lower CG, has electric start, two speed tranny, has reverse. Do yourself a favor and get a revo 3.3 I promise you wont regret it. GET A SAVAGE IF YOU WANT A HEAVY TRUCK THAT HANDLES LIKE CRAP BUT HAS ALOT OF POWER. By the way, the savage burns more fuel than revo 3.3 so you will go through more fuel if you get a savage. I hope this helps, I have owned both[img][/img]
ITS A MONSTER TRUCK FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD

Seriously I wouldn't go buy a Ford Focus, and expect it to handle like a Porsche Carrera GT(side note I'm not saying the revo is a Porsche just using it as an example of comparing 2 things that are different) I guess you would though seeing you expect stadium truck performance with a monster truck. Comparing the revo to a MT2 would be more fair seeing they are both 4wd stadium trucks.

Fun Savage fact: if you flip too easy during turns you can remove the spacers in the shocks to make it more stable in turns
Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest one that has rubber tires.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Foxy

I had a savage X and it handled like a turd on wheels. It was wayyy heavy and tipped over constantly from itsd high CG. I ended up breaking the rear differental and sold it immediately after. After that I got a Revo 3.3 and the difference is night and day. It handles so much better its not even funny. Its faster and more nimble, it jumps better, it corners better, it looks better, its lighter, has better suspension, lower CG, has electric start, two speed tranny, has reverse. Do yourself a favor and get a revo 3.3 I promise you wont regret it. GET A SAVAGE IF YOU WANT A HEAVY TRUCK THAT HANDLES LIKE CRAP BUT HAS ALOT OF POWER. By the way, the savage burns more fuel than revo 3.3 so you will go through more fuel if you get a savage. I hope this helps, I have owned both[img][/img]
This is entirely your own personal opinion, and your experience is not shared by many in the hobby. I'm astounded that you didn't like the Savage. I've owned over 40 RC cars in my career and since moved onto things that make the Revo look pitiful (it's ok for what it is though, don't get me wrong, it's a decent car), but the Savage is one truck I always remember fondly.

As someone else has mentioned, it's just a matter of suspension adjustments to get the Savage to handle like a Revo, but I wouldn't recommend it, the huge ground clearance and massive suspension travel is one of the things that makes the Savage great.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: William5

ORIGINAL: Foxy

OK, lets clear a few things up...

Electric is faster than nitro at the top level (serious money for motors, speed controllers and batteries though, and they still have the runtime problem, whereas a nitro engine you can just fill it up again and off you go), but nitro is faster than electric at the lower levels.

Now, you mention gas-powered, but I wonder if you really mean it...gas powered cars are at maximum (in other words at their smallest) 1/6th scale. Using real gas engines, which take a mixture of 2 strok oil and gasoline (petrol). These are by far the most expensive models in intial investment, with the cheapest running you $900 on the road, BUT, they have low running costs, low maintenance, and the engines last forever. After a few years of ownership, you would be saving money compared to electric and nitro, despite the high initial investment.

You mention on road and off road. For your first RC, you should go off-road. An off road car can run on the pavement outside the house, AND down at the local playing field or whatever. An on-road has to stick to less bumpy surfaces.

As for brands, everyone has their preferences, but the bottom line is; you can't beat an HPI. They are the most popular brand in the hobby, reasonably priced, well supported and of good quality. I strongly recommend that you look at the Savage range of monster trucks for your first RC. They are fast enough, and do great stunts and jumps. If you get an electric, you can upgrade it to brushless and make them silly fast. HPI even makes a brushless savage out of the box, called the Savage Flux, which is, honestly, un-frikkin-believably fast and fun, but it's expensive, and more batteries will be very expensive too, and once again, compared to nitro or gas engined cars, you will have only as much run time as batteries you take with you.

I strongly recommend you consider this. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAZAN**&P=ML

The car is bulletproof, and when you do break it, every shop in the world (almost) carries spares. It has a decent nitro (or glow) engine out of the box, which is also cheap to replace when you inevitably fry it, as we all do our first nitro engines. Owning a Savage is something everyone should do in their RC car career, and is also an excellent choice for a first RC, it will give you many hours of fun for few hours of frustration. Oh, and by the way, it comes with a 2.4ghz radio which is a great feature, no need to worry about interference from other models ever. 2.4Ghz radios are virtually immune to any interference.
Hey..thanks you so much for the great information...
I am really going with your choice..I feel that for the strating I should go for Savage..I am thinking to buy this one
http://<span style=''font-size: larg...</span></span>..Is this one is worth for me ???
Or should I go for another one..or any other updation in model??
The one I linked, the Savage X 4.6 is a great choice. Go for it
Old 05-29-2011, 04:51 AM
stoya789

This is entirely your own personal opinion, and your experience is not shared by many in the hobby. I'm astounded that you didn't like the Savage. I've owned over 40 RC cars in my career and since moved onto things that make the Revo look pitiful (it's ok for what it is though, don't get me wrong, it's a decent car), but the Savage is one truck I always remember fondly. As someone else has mentioned, it's just a matter of suspension adjustments to get the Savage to handle like a Revo, but I wouldn't recommend it, the huge ground clearance and massive suspension travel is one of the things that makes the Savage great.
yep, you are right, it's justs my opinion. The truth is either truck would be decent, Ijust like the revo better. forgot to mention that Traxxas seems to have better customer support as well as very good manual/instructions that are newbie friendly. also their forums are really good as well. Aslo forgot to mention that the Revo is RC CAR ACTION magazine's readers choice 6-time best nitro truck undefeated!

The savage was fun when it wasnt' broken, its a real basher, but not a racer. The revo is more of a racer that can also bash if it wants to. Traxxas even sells a race version of the Revo.

Anyways, The savage is like a sumo wrestler, heavy and powerful, yet clumsy and cumbersome. The Revo is like an olympic athlete, fast and nimble, yet maintains control and finesse.

I just prefer the superior handling of the revo, Ilike to feel in control when Idrive.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: john01374

Couple of things.

If this is your first Nitro and you don't have someone to help you tune it then buy electric. Nitro's are a pain in the butt for the inexperienced and don't let anyone tell you different.

When the cost of LiPo batteries came down the whole argument about run time being a limiting factor also went out the window. Get yourself 4 Lipo's from Hobby King and you'll never run out of batteries as they will charge faster than you can discharge them.

Nitro is not more powerful. Hasn't been for a long time. The truck you linked to is a very good truck. HPI makes great stuff but again I would consider the brushless version over the Nitro for a beginner. If it's a 4x4 you're looking for then the Slash 4x4 or Pede 4x4 are both great trucks as mentioned above.

In the long run you will spend less running electrics as well. 4 batteries, a charger and a balancer should run around $225 but you should have no problem getting 300 runs per battery ( I have some with over 500 runs and still going fine) so that's 1200 runs before needing to buy another battery. How many gallons of fuel will it take for 1200 runs ? Don't over heat the motor or ESC and it should last at least as long as well. I have close to 500 packs on a VXL motor with no issues.

Since you're new I recommend electric. You'll be happier and can go nitro at a later time.

I would strongly recommend against buying anything from Hobby King, they have a nasty habit of messing up peoples orders and then ignoring you. They also will rarely replace defective stuff and only if you jump through a dozen hoops and then pay the shipping again.

As for a Nitro Plane, ther is absolutely nothing wrong with it as a first time airplane as long as you have an experience pilot to help you. The only issue with nitro is that the fuel is very expensive.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Aslo forgot to mention that the Revo is RC CAR ACTION magazine's readers choice 6-time best nitro truck undefeated!
That carries about as much weight as me saying the Associated NTC3 is the best touring car money can buy because I haven't broken mine driving it in mud and snow.

RCCA is 3/4ths advertisements, and of those ads, 3/4ths of those are Traxxas. It's about as close as they can get to being the official Traxxas magazine without actually being the Traxxas magazine. I have a feeling the Revo keeps winning that segment every year because another truck winning would sour their advertising deals.

the Revo is a jack of all trades, master of none. On the track it will have it's small-block arse handed to it by every truggy on the market, and in the field its racing-oriented suspension system is hopeless compared to the plush, neigh-indestructible suspensions on the Savages and MGTs out there. It's the truck you buy if you can only own one truck and want to bash AND race.

I just prefer the superior handling of the revo, I like to feel in control when I drive.

If you're still in control you aren't going fast enough
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Foxy

This is entirely your own personal opinion, and your experience is not shared by many in the hobby. I'm astounded that you didn't like the Savage. I've owned over 40 RC cars in my career and since moved onto things that make the Revo look pitiful (it's ok for what it is though, don't get me wrong, it's a decent car), but the Savage is one truck I always remember fondly. As someone else has mentioned, it's just a matter of suspension adjustments to get the Savage to handle like a Revo, but I wouldn't recommend it, the huge ground clearance and massive suspension travel is one of the things that makes the Savage great.
yep, you are right, it's justs my opinion. The truth is either truck would be decent, I just like the revo better. forgot to mention that Traxxas seems to have better customer support as well as very good manual/instructions that are newbie friendly. also their forums are really good as well. Aslo forgot to mention that the Revo is RC CAR ACTION magazine's readers choice 6-time best nitro truck undefeated!

The savage was fun when it wasnt' broken, its a real basher, but not a racer. The revo is more of a racer that can also bash if it wants to. Traxxas even sells a race version of the Revo.

Anyways, The savage is like a sumo wrestler, heavy and powerful, yet clumsy and cumbersome. The Revo is like an olympic athlete, fast and nimble, yet maintains control and finesse.

I just prefer the superior handling of the revo, I like to feel in control when I drive.

If the revo is an olympic athlete, what's my Mugen Truggy? Superman? And I totally agree with 378, that reader's votes mean absolutely nothing. The great unwashed masses generally know....nothing.

I'd agree that the Savage is a better basher, but I wouldn't agree that the revo is a racer.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: 378
the Revo is a jack of all trades, master of none. On the track it will have it's small-block arse handed to it by every truggy on the market, and in the field its racing-oriented suspension system is hopeless compared to the plush, neigh-indestructible suspensions on the Savages and MGTs out there. It's the truck you buy if you can only own one truck and want to bash AND race.
personally I'd just buy an ofna buggy, a nice steering servo, a decent radio, a gallon of odonnels, throw a 10 person party(maybe in celebration of getting a nitro), and order pizzas with what I would save over a revo
And STILL have a better overall vehicle that could take more abuse, and be raced if that is a concern
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

personally I'd just buy an ofna buggy, a nice steering servo, a decent radio, a gallon of odonnels, throw a 10 person party(maybe in celebration of getting a nitro), and order pizzas with what I would save over a revo
And STILL have a better overall vehicle that could take more abuse, and be raced if that is a concern
To be fair, when bashing, you will have to get the bus boy to go out there and fetch it when someone noses it into something. Revos can be had with reverse. [&:]
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

To be fair, when bashing, you will have to get the bus boy to go out there and fetch it when someone noses it into something. Revos can be had with reverse. [&:]
Is reverse really worth over $250 more?
Specially when its just adds complexity, and something more to break(which there is already enough extra to fail on the nitro revo even without reverse compared to other RC's).
If someone wants reverse they should just buy an electric
Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 AM

...Where are you looking that lists Revos for that much? Tower's got brand new ones for 549, but if I look through the 1/8th buggies, they're all within 50 bucks of that point as well. Not only that but you can often buy a used one for roughly what they're worth.

Also, why should we automatically sacrifice reverse just because we prefer engines in our RCs?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

...Where are you looking that lists Revos for that much? Tower's got brand new ones for 549, but if I look through the 1/8th buggies, they're all within 50 bucks of that point as well. Not only that but you can often buy a used one for roughly what they're worth.

Also, why should we automatically sacrifice reverse just because we prefer engines in our RCs?
I grabbed the revo price from tower
hyper 7 is 289 at tower
Jammin X1x CR RTR is $300 at amain
picco's $279 at amain

Hence I said ofna buggies good 1st RC, and they can be raced at club level decently

And yup on reverse sacrifice it
Dunno I have to go flip my nitros over more than I have to go move them back so reverse IMO never was a necessity
Old 05-29-2011, 12:38 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

yep, you are right, it's justs my opinion. The truth is either truck would be decent, I just like the revo better. forgot to mention that Traxxas seems to have better customer support as well as very good manual/instructions that are newbie friendly. also their forums are really good as well. Aslo forgot to mention that the Revo is RC CAR ACTION magazine's readers choice 6-time best nitro truck undefeated!

Sorry, dude, but if you prefer superior handling, why even buy a monster truck in the first place? The Revo handles like crap compared to even the oldest, worst 1/8 buggy. If you want a MONSTER TRUCK get a MONSTER TRUCK.

ThunderbirdJunkie has owned two Revos and currently owns a Slayer and 3 1/2 Savages. Guess which ones get driven more?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Sorry, dude, but if you prefer superior handling, why even buy a monster truck in the first place? The Revo handles like crap compared to even the oldest, worst 1/8 buggy. If you want a MONSTER TRUCK get a MONSTER TRUCK.

ThunderbirdJunkie has owned two Revos and currently owns a Slayer and 3 1/2 Savages. Guess which ones get driven more?
the 1/2 of a savage
Old 05-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

+1
If you want handling go for a buggy, but from what ive read, the Savage is the better one. In all aspects.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM

And yup on reverse sacrifice it
Dunno I have to go flip my nitros over more than I have to go move them back so reverse IMO never was a necessity
Blah. I've gotten it to where it's the other way 'round. I've found my NTC3 nosed up against things far more often than I've found it on it's lid. I've also found it stuck in places where a car with reverse would just pop right out, but since it's forward only, it couldn't do anything but helplessly spin the wheels.

So yes, I do want reverse.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Foxy

Reverse is for people who make mistakes with the wheel and end up travelling in the wrong direction. I don't make mistakes with the wheel.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:33 PM

...So you've never wanted to do J-turns?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM
stoya789

Ya and revo has 2 spped tranny, most 1/8 buggy only have 1 speed.
If the revo is an olympic athlete, what's my Mugen Truggy? Superman?
lol, maybe, I wouldn't know, I never owned a 1/8 buggy/truggy. If I did get one it definitely wouldnt be an ofna. i would get whatever is the most popular and has good customer support, most likely a Losi 8ight.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
cumquat

Ya and revo has 2 spped tranny, most 1/8 buggy only have 1 speed.
If the revo is an olympic athlete, what's my Mugen Truggy? Superman?
lol, maybe, I wouldn't know, I never owned a 1/8 buggy/truggy. If I did get one it definitely wouldnt be an ofna. i would get whatever is the most popular and has good customer support, most likely a Losi 8ight.
umm, multiple gears isnt everything. many buggies with race engines are hitting 50+ with their 1 speed whereas most monster trucks with 2 speeds top out in the 40's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.