Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Convert a Monster XX to somthing better

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Convert a Monster XX to somthing better

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert a Monster XX to somthing better

Could you put a mamba monster in somthing like this? It could be like a rustler VXL but cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67991.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1644063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38694.jpg
Views:	19
ID:	1644064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20381.jpg
Views:	15
ID:	1644065  
Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 PM
MadManAndrew

Default RE: Convert a Monster XX to somthing better

1. You would have to remove all of the electronics and retrofit a steering servo as well, but the tranny wouldn't hold up and you can't get replacement parts so it wouldn't really be worth it.

2. Are you really in Antarctica?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

lol no i was just randomly clicking so I could make this account faster
Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

It doesnt seem it would be worth the money and time. Especially with me who cant put a nitro engine back together. Me=noob at rc. I cant fix anything
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
MadManAndrew

That's how I started out too, and I've never had anybody else fix my stuff. Between spending quite a bit of time staring and doing things wrong, I've learned a lot and now know these things inside and out. Just hamg to it and tryy to do things on your own amd you'll be amazed what you can do.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM
meef rustler

He just gives everything to me and expects me to fix it. [:@] I have enough rc problems to fix at the moment, thank you.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

I tried taking the tires and stuff off easy things but when It gets to fixing like spur gears i dont even know where those things are. My Tmaxx 3.3 has a crap engine so its not working so I think im going to take it all apart tonight and clean it and put it together (with my bros help of course) and hope I learn some things. I have had 2 rcs so far and have had no interest in fixing or cleaning only driving. I dont understand why people say fixing is the fun part. I guess if you dont know how to do things it makes it not fun. I want to start learning too because my brother has fixed like 20 things on my tmaxx so far and ive done nothing to help.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
MadManAndrew

Well, it sounds like you're pretty young, and fixing really isn't the fun part then. The "gearhead" "fix it myself" mentality hits in the mid teens
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a knock off the tamiya DF-02 buggy so it can run brushless with a few upgrades
Actually the majority of the parts are a 1-1 change. Only thing unique on it is the shock tower's. The rear is almost identical except the monster XX has unique body mount spots on it, the front is unique(to my knowledge) and built better than the tamiya df-02's(along with the shocks).
Also a few parts were jacked off other tamias, like the body mounts were stolen from an on-road

There is a thread on this truck in the electric forum some where (use google to search RCU).
I remember the parts but forgot the tamiya part numbers you need to replace the diff's crown gears, and the internal gears its $5 or $7 a set (only needed if using the tamiya steel outdrives might just be able to break the pin off the outdrive that goes through the diff)
get the tamiya steel out drives from a TT01(or you can use a 3rd party one 3racing I think makes one)
either use tamiya df-03 axels, and dogbones OR get DF-03 CVD's
I'd also get the rubber shock tops(heard traxxas ones work), and 8 o-rings so you could put oil in the shocks
part numbers for everything are in the "Official Monster XX" thread. There are also links to other mods like how to reinforce the bulkhead with a $2 piece of wire in it

Side note I found the stock tires EXTREMELY unbalanced (maybe that's where the extreme comes from), and would cause a ton of vibration on any truck I put them on. I'll be honest the tires are made of a nice grippy rubber, but they had insanely low QC from what I saw on my truck. I slapped some pro-line dirthawgs off my ST on it

What mine currently looks like. I gotta get another set of the tamia out drives(used the ones I had for it in my TT01 instead [:@])
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66821.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1644117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86267.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1644118  
Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LAXKing47

I tried taking the tires and stuff off easy things but when It gets to fixing like spur gears i dont even know where those things are. My Tmaxx 3.3 has a crap engine so its not working so I think im going to take it all apart tonight and clean it and put it together (with my bros help of course) and hope I learn some things. I have had 2 rcs so far and have had no interest in fixing or cleaning only driving. I dont understand why people say fixing is the fun part. I guess if you dont know how to do things it makes it not fun. I want to start learning too because my brother has fixed like 20 things on my tmaxx so far and ive done nothing to help.
Different strokes for different folks
Personally I like working with my hands. I find great pleasure in rebuilding, and repairing things. I also like to make stuff from scratch, or take stuff that already exists, and redesign it for another task.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

actually i am a teen. I Took it all apart and it was fairly easy.
ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

Well, it sounds like you're pretty young, and fixing really isn't the fun part then. The "gearhead" "fix it myself" mentality hits in the mid teens
Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 PM
LAXKing47
Banned

You are 13. Thats no teen.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fixing, building, modding is the fun part. if you don't like that then you either have to pay people to work on them or it's not the hobby for you.

that being said, that truck is easy to work on and there's alot you can do to it.