Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savage XL problem- Rear diff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL problem- Rear diff?

I was out running my truck earlier and a rock got wedged under the 4WD shaftbehind the engine (I'm tired and can't think of what its called). I didn't realize it a first until I noticed that the right rear wheel wasn't going when I hit the throttle. About 3-4 minutes later, the left rear wheel stopped going as well. Now that its off, the left rear will spin about 1 full revolution and then lock up. The right rear spins freely without stopping. I want to take it apart tomorrow, but I don't have a lot of time so I want to make sure I am looking at the correct thing. It's the rear differential, right? And just so I can sleep tonight , is it most likely just one of the small gears inside got strippedor could I be looking at replacing the entire diff? The XL diff seems kinda pricey. Thanks!

-Edit- It is definitely not the dogbones, they are still intact.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Default RE: Savage XL problem- Rear diff?

Sounds like you damaged the spider gears inside the diff assembly. The only way to verify the problem is to disassemble it and take a look.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Savage XL problem- Rear diff?

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

Sounds like you damaged the spider gears inside the diff assembly. The only way to verify the problem is to disassemble it and take a look.
I took it apart and the gear that is attached to the drive cup (I believe its called the pinion) was broken in half. The rest of the gears appear to be fine. However, the pin that holds that gear to the pinion was missing and is nowhere to be found. Weird.