Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Futaba or Flysky radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM
mpjmeyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba or Flysky radio?

I am getting my ARTR nitro in 2 days from now and need a radio system. I have been looking at a Futaba and Flysky which the Flysky would have to be ordered online to where I could go to a local hobby store and pick up the Futaba and have a good brand but pay a little more. Anybody have experience with either brand and if so, what are your thoughts?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Futaba or Flysky radio?

I own 4 flyskys
Great radio IMO for the price

I've owned a lower end futaba (came with a RTR) its a good radio can't really say anything bad about it, just I wouldn't pay full price for one.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM
FahrtAutoRC

If you have the money to grab up a higher end Futaba, I would. Spektrum is also a pretty decent company, but if you lack the funds I would grab the FlySky GT3. They are a great radio, and worth way more than the asking price, IMHO, and i am not usually one to actively promote the "cheap Chinese crap", so take this as a good sign!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Clmbngfrk18

I have a flysky for my boat for 20 bucks i cant complain it gets the job done range is more than what i need ive never had a futaba myself but im sure there are upsides to the brand name products
Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In all the discussions I have seen, read or been apart of I have never seen anyone give a good reason to go with a futaba, spectrum or other higher end name branded radio system over the Flysky.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only downside to the fly sky systems is the horrible trigger, they are prone to breaking while braking, just order some extra triggers when you buy a controller. other than that its a great system and you can run extra models for only $7 a piece.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did u break the trigger
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Foxy

Yeh, I'm a big fan of the flysky for the money, but does it compare in any way to my Futaba radios? No. Just, no.

If you can afford a Futaba, that's the way to go, but also consider the future cost of receviers at 50 bucks each instead of 10 bucks each for the flysky.

As noted above, the plastics of the flysky do seem to have a reputation for being brittle, breaking triggers, wheels, etc. On the other hand I have a Futaba 3pk which is still going strong after at least 13 years, despite looking like road kill.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: yakfish

In all the discussions I have seen, read or been apart of I have never seen anyone give a good reason to go with a futaba, spectrum or other higher end name branded radio system over the Flysky.
I disagree on futaba (not on spektrum). Futaba are so rock solid. You simply never hear anyone complain about them. Ever. Nobody talks about them at all in fact, which in this age of only writing about something when it has a problem, says everything without saying anything.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM
mpjmeyer

Just bought the Flysky from hobbyhot.com. Went to a local hobby shop and almost bought the futaba....just didnt impress me like the flysky does. Little things such as a charging port and a backlit lcd display the flysky has made me go for it. I probably wont be chargin it that much but its cool it can charge just in case.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
yakfish

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I disagree on futaba (not on spektrum). Futaba are so rock solid. You simply never hear anyone complain about them. Ever. Nobody talks about them at all in fact, which in this age of only writing about something when it has a problem, says everything without saying anything.
I not going to knock Futaba in favour of the Flysky radio that would obviously be foolish. Futaba produces awesome stuff. But the FlySky is just a better bang for you buck deal. I can buy four FlySky systems for less than the cost of one Futaba 3pm system. So even if the FlySky last half as long as a Futaba I will still come ot ahead in the end with a flysky. If you can afford the Futaba by all means go get it They are great systems but I wou ld expect the vast majority of hobiest will preffer to spend less on a system that does the same job (and does it very well) for less than 1/4 of the price.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

the only downside to the fly sky systems is the horrible trigger, they are prone to breaking while braking, just order some extra triggers when you buy a controller. other than that its a great system and you can run extra models for only $7 a piece.
will say I broke the trigger on my GT3
a tire pin for a hex on a 1/10th and a tiny drill bit fixed that permanently
basically drilled where the nub was that held it in the radio, and replaced it with a pin off a 1/10th that I cut in half, and super glued in the trigger. Been holding up over 2 years
Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM
porterdog

Have a Flysky.

Wish I had a Futaba.   Takes too much work to get the Flysky to work 'right'; polishing a turd is the phrase that comes to mind when I think of getting it reprogrammed.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: porterdog

Have a Flysky.

Wish I had a Futaba. Takes too much work to get the Flysky to work 'right'; polishing a turd is the phrase that comes to mind when I think of getting it reprogrammed.

umm huh?
whats too much work to work "right"?
only one I had to get to work right was the Flysky GT3, and that was cause by default the factory settings are messed up in the one menu. And you have to change it on every model, but after that I've not had any issues that is the controllers fault (only issue was with a CC MM ESC, but thats castles half ass settings issues which is also with other brands and listed in the FAQ section)
the gt3b, and gt2 don't have that issue at all.
as for binding RX's find it easy, never had any issues.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 PM
yakfish

Have a Flysky.

Wish I had a Futaba. Takes too much work to get the Flysky to work 'right'; polishing a turd is the phrase that comes to mind when I think of getting it reprogrammed.

Why do you need to get it reprogrammed? What isn't working right?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:19 AM
porterdog

I have the GT3b.

The first thing to really bum me out was the voltage regulator issue; a set of 8AA batts lasted mebbe 2-3 hours before the alarm sounded. Yeah, you can fix it- $10 for a new VR and maybe an hour of time, unless the crap antenna-wire solder job lets go and then you have to screw with getting that back together; total outlay at this point $45 not including time.

The nail in it's coffin (just ordered an Airtronics MT4) was the firmware. Expo is known to just not work, which is pretty lame, but the the straw that broke the camels back as it were was that dialing down the throttle EPA changed the neutral point and had other helpful bonus effects. When I drive, naturally I use 100% F/R. I used another 'model' to hold my 4yo's settings; he gets maybe 20-30% depending on the venue. The problem is that when I dial the REV EPA down the car cogs like it would if you veeerrrry slightly pushed the accelerator. As if that wasn't cool enough, reverse is completely non-functional. Admittedly, it can be reprogrammed; you can either buy the gear and do it yourself or send it out. Cost for that is probably about $30, again not including time (or downtime). At that point, I'd have $75 into a cheap chinese radio that's built to be disposable and has zero factory support. Just not worth it IMO.

I've read that there's a C version out; mebbe it's better. It's still disposable, and there's no support other than the user community.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I have the GT3b.

The first thing to really bum me out was the voltage regulator issue; a set of 8AA batts lasted mebbe 2-3 hours before the alarm sounded. Yeah, you can fix it- $10 for a new VR and maybe an hour of time, unless the crap antenna-wire solder job lets go and then you have to screw with getting that back together; total outlay at this point $45 not including time.

The nail in it's coffin (just ordered an Airtronics MT4) was the firmware. Expo is known to just not work, which is pretty lame, but the the straw that broke the camels back as it were was that dialing down the throttle EPA changed the neutral point and had other helpful bonus effects. When I drive, naturally I use 100% F/R. I used another 'model' to hold my 4yo's settings; he gets maybe 20-30% depending on the venue. The problem is that when I dial the REV EPA down the car cogs like it would if you veeerrrry slightly pushed the accelerator. As if that wasn't cool enough, reverse is completely non-functional. Admittedly, it can be reprogrammed; you can either buy the gear and do it yourself or send it out. Cost for that is probably about $30, again not including time (or downtime). At that point, I'd have $75 into a cheap chinese radio that's built to be disposable and has zero factory support. Just not worth it IMO.

I've read that there's a C version out; mebbe it's better. It's still disposable, and there's no support other than the user community.
The cogging sounds like the RC's a BL sensorless setup...
if you want to eliminate cogging at the low end of the throttle spectrum(what happens when you turn the EPA DOWN) use a sensored motor, and a sensored ESC, a radio will not change that when you are dropping your throttle to 20-30%

As for exp not working never bothered me seeing bashers rarely use it, now if someone was asking to get the gt3b for a race machine and needed expo I'd tell em to get a diff radio.

On the batteries I won't argue they are a hog(should see the original GT3's battery drain [:@]) why I swapped mine to a $10 3S 1800mah lipo pack (hell cheaper than a set of good AA's which were getting 5 hours). took me literally 3 minutes to modify it including removal of screws.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM
porterdog

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

The cogging sounds like the RC's a BL sensorless setup...
It is, but I think I'm having a hard time explaining the issue. No surprise; it took me some time to really grasp what was going on.

When the throttle EPA is set to 100 there's no issue. You can make it cog with super low throttle inputs, but as you point out that's pretty much expected behavior, no?

The trouble starts when I turn down the EP of reverse to about 25%. At that point the truck cogs with no throttle input at all (neutral point has moved and is no longer sync'd to the physical neutral point of the trigger) and reverse doesn't work. You can eliminate the no-throttle cogging with throttle trim, but that doesn't do anything to restore reverse function.

There's a lot of happy users, but I've reached the point where the joy of a good price is vastly outweighed by the bitterness of poor performance.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Airtonics MT-4 if you can afford it. Your radio is your steering wheel - should feel solid and quality.

I couldn't afford the MT-4 just now, so got the cheap Airtronics Sport radio. So far so good. The Spektrum DX3S had horrible range issues on day one, plus felt flimsy, so I returned it.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 AM
porterdog

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Airtonics MT-4
That's what I'm moving to. Yes, it's a LOT more expensive than the FS, but once Istarted being honest with myself (=admitting that this stuff is expensive and I'd probably have a couple grand in by the time both my cars were fully optioned and functional) it made a lot more sense.

Hell, I used to have dirtbikes; at one point Ihad 5 of them. I can bring both my and my sons cars up to full spec and spend a fraction of the cost of one bike.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Your comparing a Ferrari to a Pantera.

With the Futaba, you end up with an awesome warranty, and great support. If the Flysky breaks or malfunctions, they just send you another one.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I would rather pay more for a product that has good customer service behind it and won't ever need that customer service. Call me strange, but I'd go with the Futaba every time.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM
mpjmeyer

Just ordered the Flysky last Tuesday and its already out for delivery exactly one week later from Hong Kong.  I can say shipping was much faster than I expected so I will be breaking in my new nitro tomorrow.  I'll leave feedback on the Flysky tomorrow.  I just hope it was worth the wait!!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
mpjmeyer

Still amazed it only took 7 days to receive this from Hong Kong!!  Anyway this is my personal opinion.... I will be connecting the receiver to the rc tonite but so far, the controller feels much more durable than I had expected it to.  The features seem to be nice and it has a little weight once you put batteries in.  So far it feels and looks great.  The only instructions were on a cd which are simple to understand.  I will put it to the test tomorrow when I use it to break in and run my nitro. 
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

I would stay with Futaba myself... have flown with many other radio brands and models with others planes but for my own personal equipment it's Futaba.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.