Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Please Help Me Get Started

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please Help Me Get Started

really?! i dont see how aftermarket is Junk, so i assume upgrade ability is at a minimum? I wouldnt see how i would maintain, upgrade, have quality parts available.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM
-JBLKING-

Out of EXC, Traxxas, Losi, HPI

What are some build characteristics (Designs they do often)
and which ones appear to be the most durable, simple, low maintenance?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

yea, im feeling unfamiliar with the new brand, i wonder how the aftermarket is for that brand. Doesnt have too many perks, guess i have to read more reviews.
9/10 aftermarket parts and upgrades are JUNK JUNK JUNK, the only thing that's decent is RPM and they are a plastics manufacture.

DO NOT buy a car because of a aftermarket availability, it shows that the car has weak spots that you would hope to fix with aluminum but only makes it worse.

OFNA makes some of the most durable machines on the market, they have almost 0 aftermarket parts, they are so well designed and made you simply don't need them, even RPM is unneeded.

The game is still the same, i started 17 years ago so i know a thing or two about aftermarket ''goodies'' and pricing.
alum knuckles, c-hubs, shock towers, and rear carriers are the only things I'd recommend in aluminum
For example the DF-02 the front shock tower is really cheap so the aluminum one fixes it. The plastic steering parts kinda have slop in them aluminum one makes it more rigid, with the c-hubs, and knuckles (they also bring in the axle so the steel dogbones don't pop out)

Jammin CRT.5 I utterly totaled the stock C-hubs bought the STRC and issue went away (ofna sold one, but they charged an insane price for it)

Jammin x1 CR they put plastic chassis braces on that if you hit it just right can cause the chassis to tweak cause the plastic was too flexible. The CNC aluminum remove that from happening. (but in this case ofna does sell the part and included it in the high end kits just not on the cheaper RTR version)

HPI MT2 the stock knuckles are made out of suck a soft plastic the screw strips out if you look at it the wrong way. Again aluminum knuckle one fixes that

So no not all aluminum is worthless it just depends on the model. Hell even Integy has a decent piece (seriously only 1 the rest they sell is all junk, which is the rear HD carrier for the savage). Now aluminum A-arms, and a lot of other parts that should flex are 100% worthless, and actually in a lot of cases make the RC weaker cause it transfers the energy to the next weakest part.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
-JBLKING-

So most of the stock chassis are dependable and only thing i should worry about is upgrade the steering and linkages.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

well the ECX from what I seen jang put them through in his test they held up very well. and I mean his reviews he literally drives them full throttle into a wall clipping tires,at full speed as well as running them on a track half assed flipping, and crashing them(to put it through its paces).

I know on his traxxas stampede review he said he kept breaking the front C-hub, and pin when he crashed it into the wall. He tried it I think 4 times, and broke it 4 times I think in the end he went and got the RPM part to fix it to carry on the beating of it. IMP for the price traxxas charges their RC's should have every RPM part on them out of the box seeing they need it (that statement comes from someone that owns 3 traxxas RC's)

As for that lack of aftermarket parts generally being for stronger RC's, its also goes for RC's that are not popular enough for RPM(and other aftermarket companies) to be bothered making parts for. MT2 (like I said earlier with its crap knuckles) a-arms can be quite weak. Someone contacted RPM to see if they would make a set of arms for it they said its not popular enough to bother.

IMO look up URC reviews on youtube to see if they have any for the vehicles that interest you. The reviews are no where near as skewed as reviews from say a magazine seeing the reviwer for URC buys all the RC's with his own cash, and from what I seen the reviews are done decently, and are pretty accurate for the RC's I've owned that he has done.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 PM
-JBLKING-

I studied some statistics and URC reviews

The ECX Torment
has a similar chassis to the Traxxas Slash, So i assume handling and strength are similar between the two. The transmitter is a nicer Spektrum, so that is a plus. 12 turn motor. Not too many perks though. Most of te transmission is plastic as well as other parts. I did not like the body either.

The HPI Blitz 2wd
has a race chassis. It features a full metal transmission (brushless ready)
and metal parts within the steering mech. The motor is a 15 turn. The reiever is your standard junk. It appears that there are a good availability of aftermarket parts available.

The Traxxas Slash 2wd XL-5
has the lifted chassis like the ECX. Features a full metal transmission (brushless ready) an 12 turn motor. Metal parts in steering as well.Electronics are also water proof! Apparently its very durable, shown by crash tests. Reciever is standard. I like this body the most.

The Losi Strike
has a cheap and less durable looking chassis. Dont like the body much either. It has aluminum shocks! And a metal transmission, 12 turn motor and water resistant electronics. The transmitter looks a bit better with Spektrum.

Right now, im leaning most on Traxxas and HPI. The ECX os not attracting me at all!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Phoenix XB Racer

I studied some statistics and URC reviews

The ECX Torment
has a similar chassis to the Traxxas Slash, So i assume handling and strength are similar between the two. The transmitter is a nicer Spektrum, so that is a plus. 12 turn motor. Not too many perks though. Most of te transmission is plastic as well as other parts. I did not like the body either.

The HPI Blitz 2wd
has a race chassis. It features a full metal transmission (brushless ready)
and metal parts within the steering mech. The motor is a 15 turn. The reiever is your standard junk. It appears that there are a good availability of aftermarket parts available.

The Traxxas Slash 2wd XL-5
has the lifted chassis like the ECX. Features a full metal transmission (brushless ready) an 12 turn motor. Metal parts in steering as well.Electronics are also water proof! Apparently its very durable, shown by crash tests. Reciever is standard. I like this body the most.

The Losi Strike
has a cheap and less durable looking chassis. Dont like the body much either. It has aluminum shocks! And a metal transmission, 12 turn motor and water resistant electronics. The transmitter looks a bit better with Spektrum.

Right now, im leaning most on Traxxas and HPI. The ECX os not attracting me at all!

The Slash is a very durable truck after you install RPM bearing carriers. The Blitz is the easiest of those 4 short course trucks to race out of the box.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 AM
-JBLKING-

Since the chassis are similar, do the Torment and Slash share many aftermarket parts?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Since the chassis are similar, do the Torment and Slash share many aftermarket parts?
highly doubt they share any
I have a pile of RC's that have similar layouts, and the parts that are swappable are at almost 0.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM
-JBLKING-

the Blitz has a considerable amout of slop, there is an aluminum fix to that tho
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM
-JBLKING-

think im going for the Traxxas Slash 2wd
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think im going for the Traxxas Slash 2wd
Ok, Don't say i didn't warn you
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM
-JBLKING-

Well what did you warn me about except being pricey?
And why did you choose team Losi in that previous post?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
-JBLKING-

I havent heard much good about the Losi Strike. Losi as a company seams to be at the lower end of performance and quality.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 PM
-JBLKING-

Also was lookig at the Associated SC10, a racer purpose SCT vs the Traxxas Slash, a basher purpose SCT. Associated is higher end as well. Im just not diggin the kits ( want RTR ) and the 4wd.

So im considering between the HPI Blitz and the Slash.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:42 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what did you warn me about except being pricey?
And why did you choose team Losi in that previous post?
you asked between these two, i then went on to say you should get a ECX and that is still my opinion, get over what is popular, get over all the "hop ups" and all that and focus on two things- is it durable? is it worth the money? the ECX is both these things- my hobby shop is so confident in these cars they started carrying the ECX line, and they sell EVERTHING.

i mean look at the traxxas slash chassis- lazy, look at the Torment chassis- some thought was actually put into it.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
-JBLKING-

If its suppose to be obvious, im sorry i dont see it. Durability tests on both models are really high in success. I still dont see the edge that the ECX has.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
-JBLKING-

I really cant make up my mind between the three with Traxxas, HPI, and ECX. HPI and Traxxas are the higher end brands and present more features and perks with their models. Ive heard the ECX Torment is very durable, but in Jang's tests, the Slash came out on top, the Torment lost an axle part. For the cheap price of the Torment, what immediate upgrades should i prioritize? im thinking a full metal gear trans since it has a plastic tranny (compared to HPI and Traxxas full metal Brushless ready trans), aluminum shocks, and some steering upgrades. I worry about the tranny tho.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM
-JBLKING-

I dont really like the Losi Strike, but what about the Losi XXX-SCT?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM
-JBLKING-

is Traxxas Ford F-150 SVT EXACTLY the same chassis as the Slash XL-5? I hear its basically the same.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
-JBLKING-

I started a new thread to hopefully attract more comments on the models ive narrowed down

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11071989/anchors_11071989/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#11071989