Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why are tires so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 AM
hanly2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are tires so expensive?

My son keeps tearing the tires off of his rustler and I have to keep looking for new tires and wheels. He rips the tire right off the wheel or he strips the hex inside the wheel. I have been finding used sets for pretty good prices but this is crazy. What are some good tires that I can get at a great price. Is there ever any really good deals that anyone has seen?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 AM
cumquat

Default RE: why are tires so expensive?

proline dirt hawgs are a good. they have great traction on most surfaces and last for a long time. if the tire keeps coming off the rim, they arent glued properly. stripping hexs is caused by a few things, most commonly a loose wheel nut. the nylon in lock nuts will wear out the more you remove and install the nut. just replace the nuts when you change them this time and you should be good to go. if they strip again let us know.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats strang that the tyre is comming of the wheel. generally thats because they were not glued correctly
and the stripping of the hex??? how??

might be time for hime to revise his driving style to save on rubber.
is there a chance he could be doing doughnuts and all the power is going to one wheel?? then over reving the wheel untill it brakes the glue on the bead

What motor, ESC and voltage?

To help find a tyre what are u after? hard wearing?
Where is generally driven? on road or offroad?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 AM
hanly2

of course he is doing doughnuts, he is bashing the heck out of it that is why it is fun. he has a rustler vxl running 2s lipo. he runs 50/50 on/off road
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would tell him if he doesn't ease up on the abuse a little, he has to find a way to pay for the tires

There is a difference between bashing and abuse....

see if you can find some belted tires, or you can attempt to belt them yourself with some window screen and shoe goo
Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are tires so expensive???

Supply and demand my friend!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

If he's bashing the truck hard and ballooning up the tires a lot, especially on asphalt, its going to be hard to keep the budget low on tires.  I watched my son burn up a brand new set of tires in one bash session on the driveway.  He was "UFO'ing" his Rusty as fast as he could.  The rear tires looked like pizza cutters the whole time.  When he was done, the tires literally peeled apart from the centerline because that was the only contact patch on the tires.  He bought the replacement set with his allowance, much to his dismay.  Amazingly, that set has lasted much, much longer.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Phoenix XB Racer

One reason why tires are expensive is because they are needed. Unless if you are drifting with PVC wheels, you need tires.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
jayjay283

rubber comes from rubber trees generally in the rain forests of south america. It does drip from the trees nonstop but people have to collect it and be paid then it has to be shipped most likely through the panama canal which is $400k ticket plus a freighter burns something around $1600 an hour in gas. Why arent tires more expensive may be a better question
Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
hanly2

Yeah so I am leaning toward just getting a new set of rear all stars and a set of dirt hawgs.  I think that would be the best choice for all terrain driving.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

rubber comes from rubber trees generally in the rain forests of south america. It does drip from the trees nonstop but people have to collect it and be paid then it has to be shipped most likely through the panama canal which is $400k ticket plus a freighter burns something around $1600 an hour in gas. Why arent tires more expensive may be a better question
tires are a ripoff im sorry, they just are, when you can buy a cheap 1/1 car tire for $40 and 4 buggy tires cost as much if not more.

foams are even worse, if you go all nuts on them not only will they bald in two runs, they will also "chunk"

my advice is to buy the cheapest tires you can find, and put some traction compound on em.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
jayjay283

I was just looking at buying some xl moabs for a gmaxx im turning 1/6th, they dont make them anymore and a 1/2 crap used set it $100 LOL no way man, I can hike to brazil and gather my own rubber while eating spiders for that price
Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it gets worse if you want scale looking wheels/tires for a rock crawler. you can spend $80-$100 on some sets!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: hanly2

of course he is doing doughnuts, he is bashing the heck out of it that is why it is fun. he has a rustler vxl running 2s lipo. he runs 50/50 on/off road
So eccentally u are complaining about him doing burnouts and doughnuts and the tyres are wearing excessively?
What did u expect? He needs to revise his driving habits or just keep buying them for him

My only other thought it get him some drift tyres, then he wants to bash it use rubber tyres, when he wants to abuse it use PVC drift tyres.

Or he is not suited to a 2wd truggy. Might be worth thinking about something els

Oh how does he strip the wheel hexes? On what setup?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
phmaximus

Per kg of rubber Rc tyres are a rip off, well mainly the big brands.

Check the price of 1/5 rubber wow....

Best value s 1/10 touring car rubber... Heaps cheaper
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Per kg of rubber Rc tyres are a rip off, well mainly the big brands.

Check the price of 1/5 rubber wow....

Best value s 1/10 touring car rubber... Heaps cheaper
1/8th scale buggy tires off ebay $25 for 4 preglued
think I spent more on my 1/10th scale TC tires without rims
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
jayjay283

buy some anaconda traxxas tires, those have crap traction and he can burn out all day
Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
hanly2

I am not complaining about his driving habits at all.  put it this way, I have the stampede vxl and I beat the snot out of it and still have the stock tires and wheels with no damaged hexes.  I also drive his car the same way.  His tires are not going bald, he had the original set and the rears came unglued.  Then he burnt the hex on one of the wheels so we p/u a set of slash rims and tires and when he was driving it this weekend a big chunk of one of the tires just fell off.  So we put the stockers back on ( i had glued the hex into the burnt wheel)  he drove it for a while before the glue broke loose.  So now I have 2 sets one has a bad tire and the other has a bad wheel.  And don't give me no bs about the price of rubber $20 for a set of these tires is a joke, you can get 4 wheels for $20.  My motorcycle tires were only $50 and my car tires only cost me $100 for 18" performance tires.  basically I can get a whole stampede for $80 but a new set of wheels and tires cost $60-70.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: hanly2

I am not complaining about his driving habits at all. put it this way, I have the stampede vxl and I beat the snot out of it and still have the stock tires and wheels with no damaged hexes. I also drive his car the same way. His tires are not going bald, he had the original set and the rears came unglued. Then he burnt the hex on one of the wheels so we p/u a set of slash rims and tires and when he was driving it this weekend a big chunk of one of the tires just fell off. So we put the stockers back on ( i had glued the hex into the burnt wheel) he drove it for a while before the glue broke loose. So now I have 2 sets one has a bad tire and the other has a bad wheel. And don't give me no bs about the price of rubber $20 for a set of these tires is a joke, you can get 4 wheels for $20. My motorcycle tires were only $50 and my car tires only cost me $100 for 18'' performance tires. basically I can get a whole stampede for $80 but a new set of wheels and tires cost $60-70.
try aluminum hex's
had hex's on my one RC strip quite often I replaced them with the aluminum ones and it didn't happen again.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree that if you make your boy pay for his own replacements he will take better care of them. I bet if he paid for them himself they would last quite a bit longer.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Cronniss

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

tires are a ripoff im sorry, they just are, when you can buy a cheap 1/1 car tire for $40 and 4 buggy tires cost as much if not more.

foams are even worse, if you go all nuts on them not only will they bald in two runs, they will also "chunk"

my advice is to buy the cheapest tires you can find, and put some traction compound on em.
Good idea!

I bought a set of on-road tires for my R/C (cause I knew that I would be driving it both on- & off-road) and they're now just starting to show ware on them. (I have been driving it kinda hard when I go out with it, and usually at around sunset when it is cooler but not dark...but the road is still warm, of course.) Is there a particular brand that you'd suggest? Or even belt them with a piece of worn full-sized tire?

Old 05-15-2012, 02:24 AM
phmaximus

The reson r/c tyres are so expensive is supply and demand.... The demand is very extreemly low compared to real car tyres...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Scottgir

Pick up a set of the HPI Blitz Maxxis tires. Those things LAST!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 AM
Foxy

Whya re they so expensive? cos we muppets continue to pay the inflated prices and other muppets keep playing the 'Tires have a lot of RnD!' card, which is frankly rubbish. They do have RnD, but no more than any other RC product.

You think you got it bad in the small scales? Tyr a gasser. These are $82, A PAIR! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...perado-Wheel-2
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Whya re they so expensive? cos we muppets continue to pay the inflated prices and other muppets keep playing the 'Tires have a lot of RnD!' card, which is frankly rubbish. They do have RnD, but no more than any other RC product.

You think you got it bad in the small scales? Tyr a gasser. These are $82, A PAIR! http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...perado-Wheel-2
one of the reasons why I do not own a 1/5th scale RC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.