Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Sometimes we pay too much

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 PM
arless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes we pay too much

I'm not gonna name any RC products out their, but will say that some of the low cost cars are better than some $500.00 dollar cars. And will run circles around them. Seen it with my on eyes in my on neighbor hood, Stuff has really got better over the last two years. The competition for sales between RC manufacturers are ferrous, they all wont to stay in business and not fall on their face. That is what is so wonderful for us the consumers. Sales competition to make the best products, that is why we get a much better product. Some of the high dollar manufacturers are counting on their old none upgraded product to still sell better because of the price, and their name. Now when this happens and they get compared to cheap or way less dollar cars, and we see that they are old hat compared to the new stuff. So... with that said, they rush and upgrade their product! it's too late the word is out! so they spend the next couple years earning their name again. And loose millions of $$$ in having to advertise their better than before product. Sometimes we pay and rely on names, when we needed to investigate what is out their. We all have a computer and we lag along and stay with what we've had in the past. Before I lay my hard earned money down, I will check out what I will be doing with my purchase? and that will determine what I get. Not what someone else says or bashes a product, because three years ago they had a bad experience with a certain brand of RC. All I'm saying really, is look at what is out their from a year or so ago and compare RC's of today not yesterday

Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sometimes we pay too much

I sure hope you're not comparing Chinese garbage (Exceed) to reputable companies...
Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Should be in General RC.

tldr; but If you mean how everyone spends $500 on a Traxxas because everyone at a hobby shop tells them too, uses it twice, breaks it, never uses it, and hopefully sells it to me at a garage sell in 2 years for $20 then I don't see why not. I like buying Traxxas's for $20.... what's your problem?

Although looking at your posts...

ORIGINAL: arless
Dude move on with your Exceed Forza, they are the best buggies out there, they are lite and fast,and theirchassis set up is the same as the pros run in competition "plastic with aluminum chassis parts".
You could just really like Exceed which seems fairly likely but suspicious nonetheless.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't always get what you pay for, sometimes more, sometimes less, and new doesn't always mean better, some old designs stay because they just plain work, some stay because no one says poo about it and keep on forking over the money.

and i never ever never ever ever ever never never ever never buy a car based on the hop-ups i can get for it.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just couldn't disagree more with the OP. I think you totally get what you pay for in this hobby. Every so often bargains turn up, but in general, the difference is worth it. The difference for example, between an Exceed and a Mugen MBX6 or an Xray XB9 is just a universe apart, and to make the Exceed as good as other of those cars, you'd have to spend more than if you'd just bought a good car in the first place.

Where I will say people are wasting their money is buying top of the line gear for bashing. More power to them, its nice to be able to afford to do that, but at the bash spot, the difference between the cars becomes largely academic and down to who smashes into more/less stuff.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reminds me of people spending thousands on a turbo to keep up with a V8, why not just buy the V8 then turbo it

but on the other hand, some of the big companys have made some duds...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 AM
The Mad Modder

If you buy a less expensive car to have fun with, that's fine. I have a few low end, entry level cars that I think can be more fun to drive than the higher end ones. However, don't fool yourself into believing that they are "better" than higher end ones.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I will semi-agree with the OP
sometimes people are paying for is a old tired design that hasn't had any major updated in over a decade.

But then again you also are not only paying for the RC you are also paying for customer service in case you have an issue. I read so many customer service issues with a certain low cost RC manufacturer where people have been on the phone 6 hours on a long distance calls (as they have no 1-800 number, and were disconnected multiple times) just to be told to go buy the part that came broken in the box if the phone even got answered. Where as for example I trashed an HPI RC's diffs I e-mailed HPI they sent me a new one, or with axial I got a malformed shock shaft, and told them only question they had for me was my address they didn't even ask for a pic.

Also the cheap ones share designs with multiple platforms(which usually isn't a good idea) like I know that the low end company I was talking about earlier they use a sedan chassis, for a buggy, and a monster truck they only swap out the arms, dog bones, and shocks. The monster truck version(specially the brushless one) has so many issues due to this that it shouldn't even be sold for example the arms compress too far and bend dogbones due to them just jacking it way up, and not redesigning the suspension like it should have been.

And as mad modder said the low end can be fun. Hell one of my favorites is a DF-02 which I got for $120 new I'll be honest I've probably had more fun with that than my 1/8th scales which the electronics alone cost almost 2X more than the df-02 kit did. But there is no way in hell the DF-02 I used as an example can do anything remotely near what my RCs that cost 4X more can do and come out in one piece (or probably 5 pieces at that point). Now if I'm putzing around my neighbor hood just jumping off/driving up curbs or whatnot I'll take out my lower end ones cause they server the purpose perfectly fine as well as do a great job, but if I'm going to a BMX park for example, and expect massive air or extreme stress from impacts on the RC I have to pull out my more expensive ones which can take the abuse.

Also as foxy said bargains do show up like the jammin .5 CRT kit which is sold for $75 from ofna which can be up and running for under $120 either way (electric or nitro) that can take a beating
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM
pcarluvr

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. The "Big Name" companies that have been around for a while and have faithful customers and stand a chance of getting new customers, do depend on their name,quality,performance, and reliability to sell their products. And they strive on word of mouth from their happy customers and provide really good customer service which in some cases, like mine, is gotten from a distributor of that big name company. BUT (this may shock a lot of you) there are companies out there that don't care about any of that! There are companies that have a meeting and say, "The big guys are selling a lot of this type of car,truck,buggy etc... and they are selling them for $$$ much money. What can we build similar to it, how cheap can we build it, and how many can we push out for a lower dollar just to get a cut of the market"? PRICE sells everything! Some guy/gal has $150.00 to spend and to him/her that's a lot of money and he/she is going to spend it to get something. And these companies are there to take it, they are there to get the quick buck! We all think it's wrong and gives the hobby a bad name but it's legal. And why are these companies still around? Because every day there are 100's of people buying the products. It's not only R/C... It's how the business world goes round! Heck, I almost bought a clone after everything I had read on these forums and all the woe's I heard and blah blah blah. You really think Yugo wanted to build reliable cars and have great customer service? Nope, sell millions of cars under $10,000, break down, throw'em away, make tons of money, and go away!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: arless

Stuff has really got better over the last two years. The competition for sales between RC manufacturers are ferrous
So, sales between RC manufacturers have iron in them?

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Reminds me of people spending thousands on a turbo to keep up with a V8, why not just buy the V8 then turbo it

Truer words have never been spoken..... I never understood the 4 cyl crowd...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
The_Shark

I alone am trying to erase that horrible phrase "turbo it" and "it's turboed"

try to say "turbocharge it" or "it's turbocharged" sorry, this is completely off topic. I tolerate almost all slang, but I don't let "turbo it" fly
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I just couldn't disagree more with the OP. I think you totally get what you pay for in this hobby. Every so often bargains turn up, but in general, the difference is worth it. The difference for example, between an Exceed and a Mugen MBX6 or an Xray XB9 is just a universe apart, and to make the Exceed as good as other of those cars, you'd have to spend more than if you'd just bought a good car in the first place.

Where I will say people are wasting their money is buying top of the line gear for bashing. More power to them, its nice to be able to afford to do that, but at the bash spot, the difference between the cars becomes largely academic and down to who smashes into more/less stuff.
I don't really agree with "you get what you pay for in this hobby" sometimes that is completely true, but sometimes you pay top dollar for a turd with 4 wheels (and you KNOW who THAT is) but sometimes the minuet differences in chassis design, weight distribution ect, that you pay out the nose for don't always improve performance much or at all, what is the difference between a 4 steel disk, 2 fiber disk and a 2 carbon fiber lightened disk setup? almost none, they all work the same even after torture testing fade is still non-existent.

are you really going to win a race if you drill two holes in all your out-drives? no, are your servo's going to fly apart and your chassis go all spongey if your tray is aluminum? no. is your car going to be super fast and get 30 minute run times if the drive train is as centered as possible? no. are aluminum screws going to make your car so light it will fly away in a gentle breeze? no, are your super ultra hyper polished ceramic, titanium diamond infused bearing with hyper moly tribuliethalaneoxide lubricant going to make your car so efficient, by running it you solve the world's energy crisis as your car is now a perpetual generator producing so many gigawatts you can power 3/4 of the globe? no. those dodads are fine and dandy, but the amount of money you pay for it is absolutely nuts.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM
arless

I truly enjoyed reading how all of us feel about what is out their,prices verses performance! Most of the time you do get, like you say, what you pay for. I myself love to compare apples to apples not apples to oranges, seems that's hard to do for some of us, I do agree with a lot of what you guys say, and a lot I do not agree. It all boils down to what are you going to do with a rig? it's a simple deal the manufacturers tell us, what they are built to take, a beating, bashing, running over curbs wide open, in dust so heavy you barley can see the car. All of em pride their products andclaime unheard of lies about speed about durability. Sales pitch... out the ying yang. If we believe that sales pitch then we are all in for a ride out our pocket book. Everybody believes that whatyoudrive is the best out their. You are what you drive, I've seen and lived it, your no gonna go out and buy a monster truck to go circle track racing with buggy's, your are not gonna buy a street racer to go drag racing and expect to win. It all boils down to what we love to do, some of us drive our vehicles like we would never drive our full size 4x4 but we cry when it breaks, and the word is out, this so and so is trash.We carefully don't tell the truth? that we either made a big mistake driving! Or we ran over a curb wide open to see if your $500.00 dollar 8Th or quarter scale monster truck would take the abuse. We need to be careful what we wish for and careful what we expect out of our cars. I'm very optomistic and love all the Rc stuff out their and I'll never bash a product because it cost less than what you all drive. What I drive is what I wanted with what I do.?!?!? Nuff said.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "you get what you pay for" line so often repeated only applies sometimes, but it is very far from a universtal rule. There are tons of exceptions. Especially in nitro engines for ex., IMO(bashing AND racing..) There are dozens of good options in the $200 range, and yeah, some engine that costs twice as much might be "better" to some small degree, but not the degree reflected in the price difference. I have kind of an engine fetish now, and have reached the point where I pretty much only buy stuff that comes along really cheap. If I lived in the States for ex. I'd snap up that Nvision 521 Race from Amain in a heartbeat.. Why pay more?

More and more what I notice is that - again, in both racing and bashing - the person setting up and running the gear makes a much bigger difference than just the brand name. People buy $400 Novarossis and RB's and OS Speeds, but these high-dollar engines won't really outperform something much cheaper if the owner doesn't really know what he's doing. Whereas some guy with a setup that cost half as much, but who really knows what he's doing, can get more performance out of what he has than the guy with the expensive stuff. Just buying expensive is no guarantee that it'll be better. Know-how and experience is more important than brand-name and price.

Applies to chassis' in racing too. Buying an X-ray will not make you faster. Setup and driver skill are so important in 8th scale racing.

Anyway, the "you get what you pay for" mantra is riddled with exceptions.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Foxy

If you drive an Exceed, of course buying an Xray will make you faster. lol?

I would be faster round a track in my Honda Type R than my wife would be in a lamborghini, does that mean the honda is better, or just as fast? No, of course not. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, of course individual skill will be the biggest factor, that is obvious. If you're comparing MODELS, what does the squishy (human) component have to do with anything? I would agree that hte gap between Exceed/Redcat and HPI/Traxxas is not as wide as it should be, but the gap between Exceed and Xray/Mugen is a bloody gaping chasm.

Of course there are exceptions, but not many when it comes to the actual cars (not engines, servos, whatever, we're talking about the models).
Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

I alone am trying to erase that horrible phrase ''turbo it'' and ''it's turboed''

try to say ''turbocharge it'' or ''it's turbocharged'' sorry, this is completely off topic. I tolerate almost all slang, but I don't let ''turbo it'' fly
Very common frase here in Australia, lol turbocharged... That wouldent go down to well in a workshop... Lol. Who says turbocharged anymore?, cars don't have that written on them. Just Turbo nowadays, maby back in the 80s when everything had the name turbocharge, even fruit juice.

U just have to realize Australians speak slightly different to Americans, as do Americans speak slightly different to the English.
In a way u have to let it fly, don't really have a choice, do ya
Old 06-20-2012, 03:15 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I will semi-agree with the OP
sometimes people are paying for is a old tired design that hasn't had any major updated in over a decade.

But then again you also are not only paying for the RC you are also paying for customer service in case you have an issue. I read so many customer service issues with a certain low cost RC manufacturer where people have been on the phone 6 hours on a long distance calls (as they have no 1-800 number, and were disconnected multiple times) just to be told to go buy the part that came broken in the box if the phone even got answered. Where as for example I trashed an HPI RC's diffs I e-mailed HPI they sent me a new one, or with axial I got a malformed shock shaft, and told them only question they had for me was my address they didn't even ask for a pic.

Also the cheap ones share designs with multiple platforms(which usually isn't a good idea) like I know that the low end company I was talking about earlier they use a sedan chassis, for a buggy, and a monster truck they only swap out the arms, dog bones, and shocks. The monster truck version(specially the brushless one) has so many issues due to this that it shouldn't even be sold for example the arms compress too far and bend dogbones due to them just jacking it way up, and not redesigning the suspension like it should have been.

And as mad modder said the low end can be fun. Hell one of my favorites is a DF-02 which I got for $120 new I'll be honest I've probably had more fun with that than my 1/8th scales which the electronics alone cost almost 2X more than the df-02 kit did. But there is no way in hell the DF-02 I used as an example can do anything remotely near what my RCs that cost 4X more can do and come out in one piece (or probably 5 pieces at that point). Now if I'm putzing around my neighbor hood just jumping off/driving up curbs or whatnot I'll take out my lower end ones cause they server the purpose perfectly fine as well as do a great job, but if I'm going to a BMX park for example, and expect massive air or extreme stress from impacts on the RC I have to pull out my more expensive ones which can take the abuse.

Also as foxy said bargains do show up like the jammin .5 CRT kit which is sold for $75 from ofna which can be up and running for under $120 either way (electric or nitro) that can take a beating
I agree in most of ur post, but don't know if I would call a Tamiya DF02 been a low end car, it's just old. I would still take a Tl01, TA01 or a TA02 over some of the newer touring cars like any HSP or a e10
Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My point is that the phrase "you get what you pay for" is a lazy cliche, and there are LOTS of exception to it. And furthermore, that there is more input to the hobby than just money. You have to have some know-how, sense, and patience.. (Though with the plug-and-play electric fad, and the lazy "I can't figure out nitro engines" mentality that is part and parcel of it, that is becoming blurred unfortunately...) But the point remains, money doesn't buy wins in racing, or even necessarily better bashers for bashing.. Especially in MT's - for the most part, at least with Savages and LST2's, stock or near-stock is better than some blinged-out shelf-queen when it comes to actually running the trucks..

There are so many variables in RC. Budget, clue, availability, places to run..

I wasn't of course saying an Exceed is of the same quality as an X-ray. But the argument, "Get an X-ray instead of an Associated or Losi, because you get what you pay for", is total BS. And you hear it often.. "Get a Speed instead of an Alpha, yeah, it costs more, but ............................." Bla bla bla..

That argument is total bunk in so many situations..

Though yes, for people just on the verge of getting into RC, as a general rule it does apply. So OK, I guess what I'm saying is once you're in and know what you're doing it holds up less and less..
Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Foxy

This.

This is key. Recommendations on "what to buy" must be suited to the driver's purpose. This is overlooked by the "hop up everything in sight and overspend way too much, and pitch it as NECESSARY" crowd.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

My point is that the phrase ''you get what you pay for'' is a lazy cliche, and there are LOTS of exception to it. And furthermore, that there is more input to the hobby than just money. You have to have some know-how, sense, and patience.. (Though with the plug-and-play electric fad, and the lazy ''I can't figure out nitro engines'' mentality that is part and parcel of it, that is becoming blurred unfortunately...) But the point remains, money doesn't buy wins in racing, or even necessarily better bashers for bashing.. Especially in MT's - for the most part, at least with Savages and LST2's, stock or near-stock is better than some blinged-out shelf-queen when it comes to actually running the trucks..

There are so many variables in RC. Budget, clue, availability, places to run..

I wasn't of course saying an Exceed is of the same quality as an X-ray. But the argument, ''Get an X-ray instead of an Associated or Losi, because you get what you pay for'', is total BS. And you hear it often.. ''Get a Speed instead of an Alpha, yeah, it costs more, but .............................'' Bla bla bla..

That argument is total bunk in so many situations..

Though yes, for people just on the verge of getting into RC, as a general rule it does apply. So OK, I guess what I'm saying is once you're in and know what you're doing it holds up less and less..
I agree with you, horses for courses. People should get the best they can afford.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 AM
pcarluvr

It would be really interesting to see and unbiased company or individual(s) come up with a testing procedure as an industry standard. Like automotive crash testing standards where ALL R/C companies are tested from high dollar to low dollar to have an accurate comparison. Like for trucks,Mt's,buggies,etc.. have a ten foot drop test,acceleration test, stability test, head on into a barrier test, I could think of many, all vehicles tested on the same platform at the same place by the same people and see if "you get what you pay for" really lives up to it's words. If you tested 10 vehicles from 10 different companies in the same environment, you may see that a "cheaper" vehicle may out perform a "top of the line" vehicle in these certain areas that may be important to a buyer. So now you have this "standard" that consumers are basing their purchases off of, now the companies would work towards improving these areas on their products and overall get a better product from everyone! People would still buy what they want or can afford and pick the areas that a vehicle did well in and the not so well may not be in areas they would run in and expect to not have a good turn out in those areas because it doesn't apply to them. Every R/C publication and from what I have seen, even forums do testing, but none are standardized or organized.

If that job became available....I'm in!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I agree in most of ur post, but don't know if I would call a Tamiya DF02 been a low end car, it's just old. I would still take a Tl01, TA01 or a TA02 over some of the newer touring cars like any HSP or a e10
Well in its day it was a good design, but nowadays compared to the stuff on the market it would be on the low end of the price, and performance spectrum. I think its engineering stands up for itself seeing its able to take modern BL setups better than newer vehicles while it was designed only for brushed.

I'd take a HSP, or even a new bright over an e10 or eb10...
Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Chucksolo69

Watch out, your "eliteism" is showing. When all is said and  done. Does anyone really care what OTHER people want to buy? It is their money after all. I see this all the time. Someone shows up at the track who is a beginner and has a less than stellar RC vehicle, in their opinion, and everyone looks on him/her with ridicule. Get real, this is a hobby and we are all playing with toys, "adult" toys, but toys just the same. You have the Mugen guys ridiculing people who buy Traxxas, you have the Traxxas guys ridiculing those who buy Exceed. Sheesh, give it a rest already. Run what you love, and don't mess with other folks. I have Losi, AE, and Traxxas vehicles, I have fun with all of them. I don't care what the decals on the body say. And yes, they are ALL RTR.......so there!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Watch out, your ''eliteism'' is showing. When all is said and done. Does anyone really care what OTHER people want to buy? It is their money after all. I see this all the time. Someone shows up at the track who is a beginner and has a less than stellar RC vehicle, in their opinion, and everyone looks on him/her with ridicule. Get real, this is a hobby and we are all playing with toys, ''adult'' toys, but toys just the same. You have the Mugen guys ridiculing people who buy Traxxas, you have the Traxxas guys ridiculing those who buy Exceed. Sheesh, give it a rest already. Run what you love, and don't mess with other folks. I have Losi, AE, and Traxxas vehicles, I have fun with all of them. I don't care what the decals on the body say. And yes, they are ALL RTR.......so there!
Pssshhh you have decals on your body *snickers* BAHAHAHAHA
How dare you not paint everything on!

J/K

yea to an extent I'll be honest I do recommend some low end things over others. Like I'd recommend the megatech megapro(ever hear of it?) over an HPI Recon cause honestly you get less with the HPI outside a nice looking body, and some stickers. Or like the Brama 10b I'd recommend a newbright over that jalopy. But its kind of a case by case thing, and what the person asking for a recommendation for their situation, and price point. Personally I like to stay under their price as much as possible where some people will say you need a Mugen, or some expensive RC no matter what the OP says is their budget.

But lets face it if someone comes on asking for a RC that will survive bashing at a BMX park or the likes (which is quite often), and want it for under $200 with batteries, and charger I would only suggest to them to double that price, cause I can't think of anything that would survive that kind of thing that costs under $300. Or the people that ask specifically for kits for one purpose, and you have people shoving RTRs down their throats that usually suck at what the OP wants it for, but the person owns it and thinks its the best thing ever(side note this is usually a Traxxas vehicle when it happens, not making fun of traxxas owners as I own 3).
In retrospect I've seen people ask for a RC for putzing around in their 200 square foot yard, and get recommended Mugen's, xrays, Safage flux's and what not that can hit 40mph an hour where there are a pile of sub $200 RC's that would suit the needs better. Then the person that says I want a nitro, and you get 40 people recommending electrics instead cause we ALL know electric is better at everything(I wish there was a sarcasm tag).
Its why I always ask what terrain will it be used on, price point, and power plant type (unless posted in the electric forum)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.