Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hanging RC Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hanging RC Cars?

I've noticed in looking at most folk's workshops...they hang their cars. For you racers out there....is this done so as not to affect the foam in the tires (disallowing it to rest on something hard for long periods of time)?Or just a space-saver?

I keep mine upright, although I do keep a towel over them when I'm not working on them to keep the dust away (and to keep away any prying eyes for those driving by my house). Am I doing any damage?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62256.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1787561  
Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hanging RC Cars?

Indeed, you don't want to leave the car sitting on its wheels, you'll get tire bobble (the tire will do it's own little mini jump every revolution) if you make a flat spot in the foam. The heavier the car the more important it is.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM
futureboy1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 2nd that.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Yup, if you go back to my workshop thread you will notice all three RC's pictured are up off the shelf on stands, this is simply to prevent flat spotting the tires
Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

You could just take off the wheels to store them in the same spot.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:35 PM
JohnP2

This is interesting and something I will include in my workshop I am desiging for our new house. While I'm no where near you professionals to detect a tangible difference (yet), it is obviously good pratice. I'm definetely going to dedicate one wall for "hanging" my rides. 

I assume hanging on the wing the best method? Hat to scratch the wing like that. I'll probably pad the hangers with some terry cloth,  

Man I LOVE this hobby. I learn things daily!!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a few display stands for the same reason.

Not just the tires tho...there is also the springs on your shocks. Taking the load off them will keep them from compressing to much.

Name:	Zx70453.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1787775  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:22 AM
Eman77

With what I do, I'm not sure I'd notice a difference. I haven't yet. I'm not really up for buying car stands for 8 or 9 vehicles.

...still, knowing they may develop bothers me. Maybe I'll just sit the vehicles on top of spare wheels/tires I have stacked up anyway.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:22 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eman77

With what I do, I'm not sure I'd notice a difference. I haven't yet. I'm not really up for buying car stands for 8 or 9 vehicles.

...still, knowing they may develop bothers me. Maybe I'll just sit the vehicles on top of spare wheels/tires I have stacked up anyway.
I agree, dont think it would make a difference for me too, Mind u if I had a racer I problary would
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Eman- Old tires work great!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
thehuntingterminator

Yeah it's important to keep them off the ground when possible. I even wrote an article about it.

http://www.modelkits.com/pro-tips/ho...correctly.html
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

That is a good one. I keep a set of "street" tires for my buggies for running around the streets, and change them outfor proper bashing sessions. I do like the idea of hanging the cars, however.

QUESTION:What do you guys use to hang them with?

Hunting Terminator, that is a nice article. I am a fan of http://www.modelkits.com/ and have no problem promoting that site! Keep up the great worlk.

With that, please tell the publisher/editor (George??) you guys need to start having a Byline with your articles. You deserve the credit, and readers like to know about the folks writing the articles.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

That is a good one. I keep a set of ''street'' tires for my buggies for running around the streets, and change them out for proper bashing sessions. I do like the idea of hanging the cars, however.

QUESTION: What do you guys use to hang them with?

Hunting Terminator, that is a nice article. I am a fan of http://<font color=''#810081''>http:...ts.com/</font> and have no problem promoting that site! Keep up the great worlk.

With that, please tell the publisher/editor (George??) you guys need to start having a Byline with your articles. You deserve the credit, and readers like to know about the folks writing the articles.
I will let him know (the other site I write for requires one so it seems kinda like something we should do). Thanks for the support! We really appreciate every view we get because of how hard we work to get it. Like I tell anyone if you have any suggestions on products to review, things to do a how-to over, etc. just PM me and I'll see what I can do. Obviously no promises as at any given time I am reviewing at least one vehicle and doing multiple articles/videos on random things, but I'll do my best
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I mostly just use old boxes from parts that were delivered lol
like my savage flux sits on a mamba monster box, and some brown box I got RC parts in.same with most my other vehicles some I just stacked trucks on trucks which are on box's

and as FahrtAutoRC said also use old tires
MT Tires work great
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 PM
phmaximus

hummm the more i think about it the more I disagree, and think it is mor to do with 1/10 touring cars. but even then....
with the 16 cars im running Ive never had any problems with the tyres getting flat spots. NEVER!

Here is what ive got ATM

this is how I store them

Some of these cars are very old, over 10 years, None have flat spots, Im finding the rubber is cracking from old age before flatspots...

So in my mind its just hearsay untill some one can prove it actiall has happened to there car

sorry Hunter I read the article but I disagree, sure it has some credit, have u been in the hobby long enough to have any experience with spring sag? or flat spots? If u are speaking from personal experience then u have my full apology. To me it seems strange that a young teenager with very limited experience in r/c cars who has never owned a nitro car is writing articles. espically articles relating to storing nitro cars. I must ask, are u aware about the fact nitro fuel has oil mixed in it & nitro has a very high everaption rate? so if the corrosive nitro fuel everaptes quickly and leaves behind the oil, why would u need after run oil. Ive got a few nitro motors and never had any problems with rust.

If u guys have had probles with flat spots or spring sag, rember it does not exist with out a pic.

These tools would ve very helpfull checking the mith

Old 08-01-2012, 06:47 PM
phmaximus

just ordered one of those losi shock testors LOSA99170... but was thinking wonder how well matching shock springs are.... I trust losi but nothing els, might have to do some tests

Next I might get a tyre truer and true some tyres, how long should i let them sit for before testing them
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Nonetheless, you only lose maybe an inch of air space above their original stance, and if you use what ya got laying around, it is free maitenance, and also adds a "professional" look to your collection. Heck, my 8ight sits on a 5" dia 4" tall section of PVC drainage pipe Slap a Spektrum logo on it, looks good enough!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM
phmaximus

it would problary randomly stop working if u put a Spektrum logo on it
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

hummm the more i think about it the more I disagree, and think it is mor to do with 1/10 touring cars. but even then....
with the 16 cars im running Ive never had any problems with the tyres getting flat spots. NEVER!
Australians, never can tell em anything.

It's only a problem for rubber tires, not touring foams. I bet you just haven't noticed the effect mate.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always store mine sitting up on big ole' MT wheels(From a HB Lightning GT). I always assumed it was good for the shocks though.. Heh-heh..
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Eman77

I did that the other day, so now they're up on spare wheels/tires now. Even if it's preventing flat spots I haven't noticed yet, it saves a little shelf room by putting the spare wheels/tires somewhere.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I always store mine sitting up on big ole' MT wheels(From a HB Lightning GT). I always assumed it was good for the shocks though.. Heh-heh..
that too
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM
9five9

I notice more spring fatigue on mine than flat spots on the tires from being stored flat. But I haven't stored any of my vehicles flat on the tires in years. I used to make cool stands out of old parts, but after moving so many times, and losing/breaking stuff in the moves, I just use whatever is laying around to stand my vehicles on. unless you're taking the shelf queen approach, buying stands would be a giant waste of cash in my opinion.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Jeckler
My Feedback: (2)

I'd like to have a car stand to work on my cars, and there's plenty of those out there to choose from. What I have and wish I could find more of though is the simple acrylic stand that PureTech used to sell. It seems they've left that market and the only thing they sell now is Velcro.
I like the idea on the PVC though for storage/display too.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: Jeckler

I like the idea on the PVC though for storage/display too.

Name:	Gd93722.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	1790266  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.