Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Mini E-REVO or Full size E REVO BRUSHLESS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Mini E-REVO or Full size E REVO BRUSHLESS

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
prime1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini E-REVO or Full size E REVO BRUSHLESS

CANNOT DECIDE between the 1/16 e-revo vxl or the 1/10 e-revo brushless. I have a bunch of things that i like about both and a few that i dont like. I have the money for the full sized e revo brushless HOWEVER i wont be able to afford any upgrades for some time then. If i got the 1/16 then i would be able to hop that thing up like crazy since i would have the left over money that i would have spent on the full size.

Here is a small list i can think of off the top of my mind
(i could be wrong about things on this list so feel free to correct me)

FULL SIZED:

1 Can handle tougher terrain
2 more power
3 bigger the better
4 feel like i will regret not getting the bigger version

MINI:

1 waterproof
2 can run batteries for more speed or for a longer time
3 ALOT CHEAPER!!
4 super fast, close to the full sized

I know that this has been posted plenty of times but i want to here it for my self.

Please anybody with experience with either both or one respond. I want to buy it this weekend cause i can get a great deal. THANKS
Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Mini E-REVO or Full size E REVO BRUSHLESS

ORIGINAL: prime1234

CANNOT DECIDE between the 1/16 e-revo vxl or the 1/10 e-revo brushless. I have a bunch of things that i like about both and a few that i dont like. I have the money for the full sized e revo brushless HOWEVER i wont be able to afford any upgrades for some time then. If i got the 1/16 then i would be able to hop that thing up like crazy since i would have the left over money that i would have spent on the full size.

Here is a small list i can think of off the top of my mind
(i could be wrong about things on this list so feel free to correct me)

FULL SIZED:

1 Can handle tougher terrain
2 more power
3 bigger the better
4 feel like i will regret not getting the bigger version

MINI:

1 waterproof
2 can run batteries for more speed or for a longer time
3 ALOT CHEAPER!!
4 super fast, close to the full sized

I know that this has been posted plenty of times but i want to here it for my self.

Please anybody with experience with either both or one respond. I want to buy it this weekend cause i can get a great deal. THANKS
no its not...
the mini from my experiences running mine works like crap on grass that is not freshly mowed. the full sized one should fly over it no issue.

IF you aren't fixated on those 2 for any particular reason other people will prolly chime in and tell you better options that cost less.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

If you have your heart set on either the big or little E-Revo I would go with the big one. You should try to factor in some lipos straight off the bat which ever way you go. I own both and I hardly ever use the little one anymore.

There is also the Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 to look at which is a bit cheaper than the BL E-Revo, they won't be back in stores till the end of September though.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might as well throw the Savage Flux HP out there.  I may be Savage biased, however, I am reasonable and will say that you can't necessarily go wrong with any of the vehicles mentioned so far.  Except for maybe the 1/16.  Over the years I've moved away from minis because of the limited terrain they can run on.  In my opinion the only advantage to a mini is the generally lower cost and portability.  You can easily toss it behind the seat of your truck so it's always on hand in case you find an interesting bash spot.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Foxy

If you don't have a big one, get that first. Doesn't really matter which, TTR MT4 G3, E-Revo, Savage Flux, whichever. But when you want a mini (that's almost too big to be called a mini) then the mini revo is da bomb.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 PM
prime1234

Thanks for the tips. I am def going to stick with traxxas. Looks like the full size e revo will be my choice. Its a bit expensive but you get what you pay for right. I had a t maxx and was very found of it. Im just plain tired of nitro because it can be more work than fun. Plus i want some more power
Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

e-revo is fine and dandy but the value is horrible, with the savage you get alot more bang for your buck, or better yet, get a brushless truggy.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Thanks for the tips. I am def going to stick with traxxas. Looks like the full size e revo will be my choice. Its a bit expensive but you get what you pay for right. I had a t maxx and was very found of it. Im just plain tired of nitro because it can be more work than fun. Plus i want some more power
not really with traxxas...
could get way more for less with other brands

Coming from someone that owns 3 of their RC's

If you are dead set on traxxas the pede 4X4 isn't a bad truck, and needs the least IMO in aftermarket parts to be pretty decent (slap in a center diff kit for $35, the slippers SUCK)
Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 PM
The_Shark

not in this case....... actually not in this hobby at all, sometimes you can get very nice things for very little money, and vice versa.

lets just say I'm around these things alot, and while the revo proforms ok for a MT, it has some weak spots, over-complicated layout and for the money when new, it flatout is a joke, the t-maxx is nothing compared to a savage or MGT, this is coming from a former t-maxx owner.

the t-maxx was more work than fun because it was a t-maxx not because it's nitro, the HPI 4.6 is a VERY reliable engine that lasts gallons and gallons and has shaft start not ez start (when that system goes out its a bear to figure out what to change) the 3.3 is touchy, and the traxxas brushless system, while ok on power, doesn't last long, the ESC's cant handle the load.

My MGT or nova powered OFNA, I can walk up, start the engine, make a few passes and turn the high speed needle 1/8 turn and be good for the rest of the day, once its warmed up, I can leave the car outside running, go inside, take a leak, wash my hands, pour a glass of tea, drink it, check my e-mail and come back outside to a running engine, all it takes is a good tune and a decent engine.

I'm just letting you know there are MUCH better alternatives, the only thing I can suggest from traxxas is the 4X4 stampede.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

I don't own one but I second the MT4 via BigSquidRC's review:
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/thunder-ti...-truck-review/

Old 08-31-2012, 08:33 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I still don't get the whole "it's over complicated" thing. I think the diffs are a bit weak for 6S, the stock hubs aren't much chop and the shocks are set up a little too soft out of the box, the servos aren't great but what RTR has good servos. Over complicated? If I can work on one anyone can. I do agree that the BL E-Revo is priced a little high, they were too expensive when I bought one and the price has gone up since then.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

I still don't get the whole ''it's over complicated'' thing. I think the diffs are a bit weak for 6S, the stock hubs aren't much chop and the shocks are set up a little too soft out of the box, the servos aren't great but what RTR has good servos. Over complicated? If I can work on one anyone can. I do agree that the BL E-Revo is priced a little high, they were too expensive when I bought one and the price has gone up since then.
I can work on one too, but thats not the point, the point is, they make everything unique to do the same job a simpler system can do, yet it doesn't do it any better. there is alot going on with the chassis, inboard shock system, funky steering linkage with twin servos (why not just one good servo???) but its much worse with the nitro version, there you have that unorthodox motor mount, with linkage with it's own bell crank that slides open the carb instead of pulling it, then on some models you have optidrive with reverse servo and linkage, and ez start on top of that....

you have to spend a grand just to get a proper e-revo with two good batteries and a decent charger, and for that price I would get a gasser
Old 08-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Definitely get the 1/10th scale. Bigger is better. [:-]
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 AM
prime1234

Ok i took your advise and looked into some other trucks besides the e revos. I really like the thunder tiger mt4 g3. Now im torn between the e revo and mt4 g3. I like how durable the the mt4 g3 is. My t maxx was always snapping a arms and the shocks were constently getting messed up even with small crashes.

I want a fast MT, i see videos of the e revo going over 80 mph. Can the mt4 g3 do that, which is faster which handles btter. I aleady know that the thunder tiger mt4 g3 will last longer and break less. I do the the e revo looks cooler tho
Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 PM
The_Shark

yes on the MT4 thunder tiger (team associated) makes a awesome monster truck, they just don't get the attention that traxxas and hpi get.

im sure its just as fast as a revo, the revo does not do the 65+++ that they always advertise, I would say the MT4 is just as fast, but why would you even want to go 60+ with a monster truck? tires balloon and can rip off, it gets squirrely, and I don't care what it is, if you lose control or crash at 60,70,80 mph, it is going to break.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I have owned many 1/18 and 1/16 models...including the 1/18 vxl summit.

I sold each and every one with out ever driving them much.

Small size=limited places to drive. Plain and simple.

The summit I had expected to be awsome in the snow. light weight, powerful and 4wd.

But, it just flipped over on its side, or over backwards all the time.

Go with the big boy. Even with less top speed, it will be more fun.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go the 1/10... revo's are massive IMO more like 1/8 scale and thats what made them so fun.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:52 PM
prime1234

I would want to go fast because who wouldnt??! I dont care that its a monster truck, i want it to go at least 60.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM
prime1234

The e revo can definetly do 65  plus also. It tales some hopups but it has been done plenty of times
Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

I know you want to go fast.. but this is plenty of speed in my opinion. If you want something fast get a touring car.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni5BOnGQfss[/youtube]
Why do you want to go fast in a monster truck anyways?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:41 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

All I understood from that video was the "oh boy" at the end when he crashed lol. Both the BL E-Revo and the TT have plenty of power there is no denying that.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Also remember that to get these big mamma-jamma's up to speed you need to make a few tweaks.  It's not just drop in 6S and go.  You need to select the correct gearing and you need lighter wheels/tires and you drive on smooth level pavement.  HPI recommends "Phaltlines" but basically a lower profile setup is what they're getting at.

On relatively smooth packed dirt you can get these things to kiss 50 with stock tires and 6S, but you risk overheating your equipment.  That top speed claim is just that; a theoretical maximum based on ideal conditions.  The reality of it is that during every day bashing you can expect between 25-40 depending on the terrain and your setup.  As big as these trucks are that's some good speed.  Plus, because of their mass they're not quick to respond to steering inputs while at speed.  I still want to do 6S with my Savage, but I'm not necessarily looking for 60+ MPH.  I have a TC3 that can do that.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:08 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont know about touring cars, they suck on anything but a perfect road.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:03 AM
prime1234

Ok since i have no patience. I think i am going to order the mini e revo now and then get the mt4 when they are back in stock. I will just sup the heck out of the mini erevo and see how fast i can get it to go and the. I will use the mt4 for bashing and stunts since its such a tough truck. It wont be mich more to get both of these since the mt4 is so much cheaper than the ERBE and the mini is super cheap too
Old 09-02-2012, 07:20 AM
The_Shark

not a bad idea if you have the dough. the 1/16 cars are fun and fast, just expect to replace that servo with a metal gear one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.