Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Force Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Force Feedback

Ive been thinking about what forces help driving a real car/truck

then I got to thinking what about a r/c car that has a force feed back controller & servo as well as a vibrator to simulate bumpy conditions and crashes

I wonder if we will see something like this down the track

Dont know how practical it would be but IMO it would be cool.
Imagine driving ur rc over bumps and been able to feel them. or even be able to feel the difference from a smoothe racing line to just off the racing line.
or even be able to feel the steering pull from cutting a corner and clipping the apex or the pull from having 2 wheels just off the racing line.

For crawlers it could give u feedback about how much force u are loading up ur steering when its jamed into a rock, it might save some servos and linkages

I think it would be possible to make one, it could be rigged to the servo saver, or have a small sensor that replaced the servo saver all together that mesures the force difference from the servo to the steering, or the pressure and direction of the forces on the steering servo.... hummmm

I think it would be cool

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Force Feedback

You could probably rig a gyro like are used in helis or the drift boxes in cars as a sensor for rough terrain. I would think it would be fairly easy to adapt the tech we already have to do this. It would be an interesting project for someone smarter than me to work on.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be cool indeed. Like the feedback on a game control pad. A heli/drift gyro has the opposite effect, it reacts to smooth things out. It would have to be incorporated into telemetry, a sensor on your steering would send a signal to your radio. The forced feedback would have to be a small servo taking input from the sensor that would pull one way or another on the tension springs on the steering wheel. I'm no electrician, so like yakfish said, it would take some one smarter than me lol. cool idea though.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: yakfish

You could probably rig a gyro like are used in helis or the drift boxes in cars as a sensor for rough terrain. I would think it would be fairly easy to adapt the tech we already have to do this. It would be an interesting project for someone smarter than me to work on.
that made me think, that would be cool to see the wheel move with a d box. that was u could see exactly how much its correcting from the controller.

That could be something completly different but still cool
it could work by rather than interupting the signal to the servo, it could move the controllers wheel. that was u wouldent loose anything off the end points. and to change the sentivity and force, u could have a few diffrent spring rated on the link from the controllers wheel to the motor for force feedback.
that would be a great way of doing it, with that method the user could easly overright the d box, but still be able to feel where its wants the wheel
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 PM
phmaximus

ok im thinking 2 sets of radio gear could make a basic version.....hummm there is my hack saw at...lol

im thinking a micro servo mounted inside the controller with a spring loaded servo saver like the kimbrough ones, then mount a dissambled controller on the car with a d box that controlles the servo in the controller.... wonder how hard it would be to mount the dial from the controllers wheel onto the steering....

the hard bitwould be getting the signal from the d box on the car back to the controller...

Ive got a few old AM controllers and 2 d boxes that are collecting dust.... might have to have a crack at making one
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Ttowntoolman

Sounds really cool. But you have to make it punch you in the head for driving to fast also, just like the wife........just for scale realizm and shizz.....
Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I spent WAY to much money on one of those driving simulator wheels for Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 and the force feedback on it is amazing but I don't know if I'd want it on my RCs.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 PM
phmaximus

yeah i know that one, I use to play Live For Speed alot a whileback.... only game that came close to driving a real car, physics engine
but yeah i found i was more competaive with out force feed back.

Hows ive been using the VRC usb adapter with my controller to play some computer games... it different i can tell ya that
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I use the Driving ForceG27. It feels pretty realistic to me. For $300 it had better !
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

I get enough forced feedback from the Mrs. lol