Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

which SCT for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default which SCT for me?

well, today I saw the difference between a ECX torment and a losi XXX. On a tight SCT track the torment simply cant turn as well.
My and my buddy have the same ESC/motor and battery. But the ECX just wouldnt turn as well.

So now I wanna buy a more competitive truck. dont want a XXX, since my buddy has one and his does seem to break alot.

That leaves, SC10-blitz-slash-the arrma SCT truck.....and?

Here is my main issue, I want a race worthy truck that is not fragile. My torment takes a beating because all the parts can flex alot...good for bashing, not as much for racing.

I want a truck that has a "happy medium". I wont bash it, but dont want it to break every time I hit the wall.

My buddy's XXX has broken the front lower chassis plate, the servo died, and the steering links have popped of many times.....all within the 1st 6 lipo packs.

So, what do you suggest? Can the slash be race worthy...without buying a $100 LCG chassis? Is the blitz or SC10 tougher than the XXX? Anyone tried the arrma SCT on a race track?

oh, another one, anyone run the ofna TS2? I hear ofna nitros are pretty tough.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: which SCT for me?

Um... You are a redcat dealer? Wouldn't you wanna run one at a track to get the name out? Funny thing is, I was just watching some Aftershock 8e vids and thinking that it was a great vehicle for the price!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr

Um... You are a redcat dealer? Wouldn't you wanna run one at a track to get the name out? Funny thing is, I was just watching some Aftershock 8e vids and thinking that it was a great vehicle for the price!
oh heck yeh, the 8e's are sweet.

But im looking for a 1/10 2wd truck. Redcat doesnt have one[&o]

and being honest, only a few of redcat's models are race worthy. most make good bashers and are fun to drive. I had my tornado exp pro at the track and it was like the torment....just didnt turn as tight as I wanted it to.

The backdraft, aftershock, monsoon and hurricane (brushless and nitro versions) can all be raced with a few mods. But again, these are all 1/8 scale and 4wd.

I had my twister XB and tornado epx pro at the track today...and last week had my tremor 1/16 truck there
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
pcarluvr

Yeah, I just saw someones Tremor vid where they almost ran into their son. That little truck seemed cool too! I just don't know which direction I wanna go.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr

Yeah, I just saw someones Tremor vid where they almost ran into their son. That little truck seemed cool too! I just don't know which direction I wanna go.
LOL, that was my vid. It had "little dune buggy" song right? I have a couple of vids of my tremor.

Its pretty quick for a 1/16 RTR brushed model.

My son is used to getting hit with RC's....he's becoming a good turnmarshel

He is only 2.5 years old, but hangs out for 3 hours at the track with me. flipping truck back on their wheels and following me around as I race and work in the pits. Good times.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blitz are know to be good bashers and are good on the track aswell if i was to buy a 2wd sct id buy a blitz
Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM
pcarluvr

I thought it was yours but didn't want to embarrass myself if I were wrong...LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Humm that's strange generally racing trucks are stronger

No way a ecx torment is stronger than a SC10 or XXX SCT.... No way

The big 3 are

Team Durango DESC210
Losi XXX SCT
Team Assioated SC10

I would recomend checking out those 3, there are heapse of rieviews out there.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Humm that's strange generally racing trucks are stronger

No way a ecx torment is stronger than a SC10 or XXX SCT.... No way

The big 3 are

Team Durango DESC210
Losi XXX SCT
Team Assioated SC10

I would recomend checking out those 3, there are heapse of rieviews out there.
na, the torment's plastics can "give" alot more without breaking.

the durango is likely out of price range. would prefer RTR....and with racing stuff the kits are often more expensive anyway.

dont want to spend more than $250...would like to keep it under $200...and dont mind buying used.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
phmaximus

That's the first time I've heard that? About the plastic bending more. I would be very interested on finding out more about that, can u get a video? If its true, wonder if it's bending during normal use?

From what I've read a sc10 with a few rpm bits should be the most durable.

Don't bother with the slash, its no good through high speed bends, or changing direction.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

That's the first time I've heard that? About the plastic bending more. I would be very interested on finding out more about that, can u get a video? If its true, wonder if it's bending during normal use?

From what I've read a sc10 with a few rpm bits should be the most durable.

Don't bother with the slash, its no good through high speed bends, or changing direction.
on my torment, you can take hold of the outside of the A-arm and twist it a few degrees. Thats "give"
durning normal use it doesnt happen, but hit a corner with just one wheel and that arm flexes instead of breaking.

But push an RC hard enough and a soft plastic arm or shock tower can give during racing...which makes it less predicatable.

High end race cars often use carbon fiber. yes, its light, but its also stiff. Good for reliable suspension, bad for when you hit something at a funny angle.

My shock towers I can also bend by hand. When there is a odd landing, the shock tower gives along with the shock to soak it up.

To date, my torment, brushed, always running a 2s lipo, has never broken a shock/tower/a-arm. Ive broken 2 steering hubs, a driveshaft. Thats it. over a year of hard driving, both bashing and racing.

thats also a reason some will tell you that "alloy" upgrades are not always best for bashing. they may bend and thats it, where the stock plastic parts will flex and go right back.

But again, on the track it didnt come close to what the Losi XXX was doing.

there is a pair of used brushless SC10's I could buy for $150 each.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
phmaximus

Yes and no, IMO they have there uses.

Strong t6 alloy components are good for thinks like castor blocks, steering knuckles, rear toe blocks, bell cranks, diff housings, rear uprights, shock towers, chassis brace, bell crank brace bulkheads...

Carbon fiber is great for shock towers, chassis, bracing, chassis brace, bell crank brace, battery holders, bulkheads

Bendable plastic, good for bumpers, suspension arms, gear covers, skid plates, stone gaurds, battery and reciver boxes

I think each type of material has its place. I would never recomend alloy bumpers or suspension arms tho
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM
phmaximus

A good example I found was on a traxxas slash and rustler. Both had stock front shock towers. And they would bend under light suspension movement. I got the RPM tower for the slash and a integy graphite tower for my rustler.

The RPM tower still slightly flexed when I compressed the front suspension by hand. And the integy dident move one bit.
Both felt to weigh the same, But integy one just felt stronger.

I sware it would take one hell of a crash to break the integy one, but with the body on, I don't see how it could brake

These are the integy ones I'm talking about

https://www.integy.com/cgi-bin/webc....9#.UO4QA2thiSM
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

A good example I found was on a traxxas slash and rustler. Both had stock front shock towers. And they would bend under light suspension movement. I got the RPM tower for the slash and a integy graphite tower for my rustler.

The RPM tower still slightly flexed when I compressed the front suspension by hand. And the integy dident move one bit.

I sware it would take one hell of a crash to break the integy one, but with the body on, I don't see how it could brake

oh I agree that each has its place, and that the quality of the alloy or carbon makes a big difference.

but speaking in general, a flexible plastic will hold up best.
Ive owned alot of redcat models and I know many who do buy the alloy parts. The wheel hubs are not a bad part to upgrade, but other than that the rest should be left the stock plastic. I personally dont even upgrade the hubs, as I find doing so just puts more stress on the arms. If you take flex out of one part, the ajoining parts now of to "give" even more.

Naturally tho, the higher quality parts can take more abuse without needing to flex. But that also means more $$$ put into the truck.

Im wanting to know which STOCK truck will hold up the best. Not speaking of electronic per say, jsut the chassis and driveline.

my buddies XXX is indeed faster than my torment, but it also is giving him more issues. on the 1 hand a truck that doesnt handle well isnt fun...on the other hand, neither is a truck you have to work on every 10 minutes!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
martijefre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw someones Tremor vid where they almost ran into their son.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I got an sc10rs a couple months ago and Ive only put about 10 2s packs threw it but I was surprised I haven't broken anything yet since people said it was "fragile" out of the box, I've cartwheeled it several times ran into a couple things a couple crashes with cartwheels where I just knew something broke but nope and thats in high 30 low 40 degree weather mostly. I'm taking it to the track this weekend for the first time "first time at a track" so ill see how it and I do.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

oh I agree that each has its place, and that the quality of the alloy or carbon makes a big difference.

Ive owned alot of redcat models and I know many who do buy the alloy parts. The wheel hubs are not a bad part to upgrade, but other than that the rest should be left the stock plastic. I personally dont even upgrade the hubs, as I find doing so just puts more stress on the arms. If you take flex out of one part, the ajoining parts now of to ''give'' even more.

Naturally tho, the higher quality parts can take more abuse without needing to flex. But that also means more $$$ put into the truck.

Im wanting to know which STOCK truck will hold up the best. Not speaking of electronic per say, jsut the chassis and driveline.

my buddies XXX is indeed faster than my torment, but it also is giving him more issues. on the 1 hand a truck that doesnt handle well isnt fun...on the other hand, neither is a truck you have to work on every 10 minutes!
I don't know.... Most guys I know don't worry about that, they replace the hubs and castor blocks with alloy ones for more consistant suspension geometry and leave the arms plastic as a break away point, they are under $15 and very easy to replace, allso running TiN suspension pins helps limiting the forces to the suspension arms.

IMO u start to see these upgrade parts stock as u increase the scale. Check out the high end 1/8 buggies and truggies

Might be worth checking what are considered important upgrades when racing for both trucks? RC Car Action did a great review on just that a while back
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Ive owned alot of redcat models and I know many who do buy the alloy parts. The wheel hubs are not a bad part to upgrade, but other than that the rest should be left the stock plastic. I personally dont even upgrade the hubs, as I find doing so just puts more stress on the arms. If you take flex out of one part, the ajoining parts now of to ''give'' even more.

I don't know.... Most guys I know don't worry about that, they replace the hubs and castor blocks with alloy ones for more consistant suspension geometry and leave the arms plastic as a break away point, they are under $15 and very easy to replace, allso running TiN suspension pins helps limiting the forces to the suspension arms.

IMO u start to see these upgrade parts stock as u increase the scale. Check out the high end 1/8 buggies and truggies

Might be worth checking what are considered important upgrades when racing for both trucks? RC Car Action did a great review on just that a while back
agree I do that, and I don't race at all. I've not found a increase in breakage in arms from having alum C-hub/knuckles, and rear carriers in all honesty its probably the opposite as you gain better control over the vehicle you will hit it less.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

I found my Sc10RS RTR used locally for $170.If you search you should be able to find one within your price range. Its no cojncidence that the top drivers in RC racing drive AE vehicles. There are more accessories available for it than the XXX or Blitz. Plus it shares parrs with other 2wd AE vehicles.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Scottgir

I've owned all of the 2WD short course except the Rango.

My experience is different than your friends.
The XXX-SCT was the most durable...after I replaced the rear bulkhead with an aluminum one. The stock bulkhead gets loose after a while, that is the only weak spot.

The Blitz was the most.....average LOL. It was very durable (only broke a front axle carrier).

I've owned both a regular SC10 and FT SC10. The FTSC10 was awesome. The stock SC10 was about the same as the blitz.

Unfortunately if you get the race upgrades, you sacrifice some durability (such as arms and chassis).

The RTR blitz is more durable than the ESE
The TLR racing package makes the arms more fragile than the stock XXX-SCT

I'd seriously question your buddy though if he's having trouble with his XXX-SCT. I also race the SCB and that thing has flown full throttle into a wall and nothing. LOL.

But to get back to your question. If you REALLY want something different and don't want a XXX-SCT. Get a FTSC10. It's an awesome truck that will do you well.

What does your track do with SCB's? Iff they race with the trucks, look at the AE SC10B
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Scottypiper

The OP is wanting a happy medium and that's what I wanted as well.  Not a dedicated basher nor a dedicated racer....something in between.  My choice was a Blitz.  I just got it the other day and I love it.  It's well built...tires are good...etc.   Is it a pure racer....no....but I didn't want that.  If I did, then I would go with AE or Losi or Durango.  I wanted something that I could have off the track fun as well as racing decent on the track.

Go with the Blitz....you'll be happy with it.  Another reason why I chose the Blitz was it's looks....if AE or Losi would make their entry level SCTs more rugged and more bad*** looking...I would have gone with them instead.  A lot of racing is about the driver and their style....not the vehicle...the less weight...more powerful this and the gearing....etc. can only help you so far.  If you had both drivers that are equal in terms of style and ability....then and only then would you see the differences in the rc's....again we are talking non-pro racing.  You can't compare a super modified SCT vs a stock out of the box SCT and the OP is not asking about that....they are wanting a well-balanced SCT that can takes a beating while being competitive in racing.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

well guys now Im gonna try another route.

My torment has been a faithful truck. Im gonna see if a few part changes can make it more competitive.

I already have alloy adjustable shock on the rear.....and just bought ones for the front.

And I bought a set of slash turnbuckles....for front/rear camber and steering. These are all solid plastic links on the torment, no adjustablility.

It was only $30 shipped for the front shocks and 6 links.

Ill probly have to consider new tires as well. But ill buy them from the hobby shop id I do.

The biggest hurdle sticking with the torment may be the high CG chassis. Its similar setup to a traxxas stampede chassis.

trying to upgrade the torment may end up a waste of money....but then I like having the "underdog", makes winning that much sweeter[8D]
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM
phmaximus

Ha ha good idea,
Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
phmaximus

Is there much aftermarket support for the exc?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Is there much aftermarket support for the exc?
NOPE.
ECX makes a metal trans gear set (which is hardly needed as the stock gears hold up very well)
And they make alloy shocks.
And thats it.
To my knowledge, no other company makes parts for the ECX line yet.
They should tho, as they are very good for the money.
The updated torments now are waterproof. RTR, spektrum DX2E radio, 2000mah battery/charger, 15t capable ESC....all for $180.
These trucks (box stock) handle better than a stock slash IMO. They are not as fast on the top end (25mph stock) but have good acceleration (low gearing, not overgeared like traxxas models)

But things like traxxas VXL driveshafts and camber links work well. And the shock's are standard lengths, so other brand ones could work.

I put a losi 12t brushed system in mine, cause it has LVC.

The torment has a chassis similar to a stampede (but longer) but the suspension geometry is better and even stock it corners good. Just not as good as a SC that was made for racing like the XXX. It wasnt based off of a racing stadium truck like the main racing SC trucks.

But im gonna fiddle with it and see how good I can get it. A tire change may make a world of difference. Im gonna ask the hobby shop guy what most people are running on the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.