Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to R/C Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 05:58 PM
hardlanding7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to R/C Cars

I love real cars, and I want to get into the R/C Car hobby. I have a rc plane, so I know how this hobby works, but I need to know about some companies that manufacture cars. I know kyosho makes quality planes, but I don't know about their cars. Tell me about them. I have also seen some stuff and heard of HCI, it looks like there cars are nice, but I don't know anything about them either. Like what they come with (an engine?). I also am looking in the price range of up to and around $300. I am only 14 so I can't afford much more than that. I liked some of the HCI cars, and I think it's neat that you can change the body on them to make it look like a different car. I would like to be able to do that, but which one of their chassis/cars can I start out with that comes with the engine and other equipment needed to assemble it? If they just sell equpiment and chassis with the body but without the engine, that might be ok too, although I would prefer one that comes with an engine.
Also, I know that rc planes use fm transmitters, but i see also that rc cars use am transmitters. What's the advantage/disadvatage to having an AM transmitter? Thanks so much for all your help.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:18 PM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to R/C Cars

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=CBB&V=HPI I would go with the HPI rs4-3 type ss version or you could go with the regular rtr-3 it come's with a less powerful engine and a single speed tranny, but its a good car to start with. Aircraft radio come's in AM version too but its not that popular. The surface radio for car and boat come's in fm and am. the am version radio is cheaper and they come in all the kit that come's with a radio. Fm radio is more expensive and less prone to interference. search the sight above for a rtr kit. I suggest the HPI nitro-3 rtr, it come's with everything you need to get started, and probably all the local hobby shop that sell rc car would carry hpi.

I just join the forum today. I notice you have 12 people view your post with no response, goodluck. There is other place's where people will be able to answer these simple question
Old 01-21-2003, 11:22 PM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

Default New to R/C Cars

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=CBE&V=HPI
this link show's the ready to run version, it include everything you need to get started
Old 01-28-2003, 08:32 PM
blueangel

Default New to R/C Cars

I recently got a Traxxas T-Maxx. It is a great truck. It goes very fast, over 40 MPH. It is great off-road. The handling is excellent except when fast. It rolls to easy. You can adjust the suspension to make it lower. It has 2-speed foward/reverse. Goto the T-Maxx page for more information. It is Ready-to-Run and comes with everything.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:51 AM
proman_11

Default New to R/C Cars

do you think the micro rs4 would be worth it for a intermedeat car im 13 and my school has a car club. they have hornets blazzing stars and all the crap cars. i was a car that is small able to be ajusted and is pretty fast
Old 05-07-2003, 01:13 AM
jasonw

Default New to R/C Cars

I have ownd R/C cars from just about every company otu there that offers sport versions and I would have to say anything from HPI or Associated is well worth the cash. I have found with my own cars Tamiya cars dont have enough hopups and KYOSHO cars are just crap. I have ownd so manny of them. My RS4 MT that I bashed for years finaly got retired the other day. My first real hoby level car was a traxass bandit I loved that car so much I am planing to get another one. Traxas is a pretty good company also but not to good with hop ups i dont think unless you get a T-maxx
Old 05-10-2003, 11:25 AM
MikeWz

Default New to R/C Cars

Actually, HPI cars are garbage. If you ever plan on racing, and RS4 would be a waste of money. The Shaft drive on the RS4 is the sloppiest sytem I have seen on any car. It is definatly not a race worthy car. If your talking about off-roading than the MT isn't even race legal, and doesn't really handling a beating very well. For on-road I would recommend either an Associated Nitro TC-3 or a Trinity Reflex NT. If you want to go off-road there are three good choices. The Associated RC-10GT, the Team Losi XXX-NT(my personal Favorite), or the new Mugen MST-1 (which comes with the best stock motor). All are great choices. The only good car Kyosho makes is the Inferno class buggies, which are BY FAR out of your $300 price range