Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting back into rc hobby

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Gmeehan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into rc hobby

I am getting back into rc cars and I am wondering what people are saying about the vaterra kemora? I am looking for a fun car/truck to drive in the street and yard with my four sons. I am not looking to spend a lot on myself. My oldest has a brushed stampede. He is asking for the brushless/lipo upgrade for it for x-mas. Will the kemora on 2s lipos keep up with the stampede or will he be blowing my doors off?

My youngest (7 yrs) is asking for a slash 2wd brushed for x-mas. Is that a good starter car for a young basher to be?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Gmeehan

Can anybody see ?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hiya, well, the Kemorra is a 1/14th isn't it? So quite a bit smaller than the Rustler. The 2wd Slash is a good choice for a budding RC car enthusiast.

Any brushless set is going to blow the doors off anything brushed. If you want to keep up with the freshly upgraded Rustler, you will also need brushless gear. I suggest you get yourself the 4wd brushless Slash, or the 4wd brushless Rustler. Traxxas brushless RTRs are not cheap, but it keeps it in the family.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Gmeehan

Thanks Foxy, I was not sure if any one could see my post. I am new to this forum stuff. I think we will go with the stampede and the slash 2wd drive for the younger boys to bash around with first. I think I am going to pick up a vaterra kemora or kalahari( still not sure which) for my self. My oldest is going to upgrade his stampede to 2s lipos and maybe brushless motor for x-mas.

Can he put 2s lipos in the stampede 5xl stock or does he have to upgrade the motor and esc?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by Foxy
Hiya, well, the Kemorra is a 1/14th isn't it? So quite a bit smaller than the Rustler. The 2wd Slash is a good choice for a budding RC car enthusiast.

Any brushless set is going to blow the doors off anything brushed. If you want to keep up with the freshly upgraded Rustler, you will also need brushless gear. I suggest you get yourself the 4wd brushless Slash, or the 4wd brushless Rustler. Traxxas brushless RTRs are not cheap, but it keeps it in the family.
Don't want to derail the thread, BBUUUUUTTTT do you know something Traxxas's website don't?
Or did this post time travel from some future/alternate world where a 4wd rustler is produced?

And to the post above this yes you can use 2S lipos on the ESC, and motor. Only issue is you might have to gear the motor down a tad if it gets extremely hot as it will hold a higher voltage longer it might overheat.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Foxy

Lol, yes, sorry, was thinking of the stampede...
Old 11-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Gmeehan

By gearing down do you mean using a smaller or large pinion? Will this help with run time also?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Gmeehan

And to the post above this yes you can use 2S lipos on the ESC, and motor. Only issue is you might have to gear the motor down a tad if it gets extremely hot as it will hold a higher voltage longer it might overheat.[/QUOTE]

By gearing down do you mean, switching to a smaller/larger pinion gear? Will this add run time as well?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

smaller pinion is gearing down

will it add run time... yes and no. The battery will hold its voltage higher then a NiMh so its got more useable juice.

Also if using the Lipo on a brushed ESC get a Low Voltage Alarm so it beeps to tell you when its at the voltage threshold they are on ebay for like $4 all the time. Its a simple device that plugs into a lipos ballance port, and just emits an extremely loud whine when a cell hits 3.3-3.4 volts
Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Gmeehan

Thanks for the info Syco_VeNom. Just put a slash 2wd, stampede 2wd, and a kemora on layaway for x-mas. looking forward to some family fun bashing with the boys. Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:13 AM
sghsqing

Can anybody see ?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:01 AM
Gmeehan

The boys love their new RCs. We took them out in the snow, they all did great. The bottom of the slashes shock tower pop out at my feet in the snow ( popped it back in and all good), but that was the only repair. But, took the cars up to the Larry's RC and they all broke something. There was a kid their ( not well supervised) with a rustler looking thing with an aluminum deck and no bumper the was driving it like a torpedo. He slammed into two of my boys cars and one of my sons friends cars and broke them. After the last crash the dad's battery pack must have been done, he walked over picked up his sons car, gave his son a dirty look, and walked away. They kemora came away undamaged though. But what are you going to do rub'ins race'in right. The boys and I had some fun doing the repairs together and kept them off those iPads.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 PM
DieHarder

I always seem to ask this when I see someone in Michigan. What part of Michigan do you live in? Western part near Lake Michigan by any chance?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Gmeehan

No, I live in south-east Michigan near I-75 and M-59.