Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Steering not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Looee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering not working

I just got a nitro Mad Warrior and the steering isn't working. I was driving it for the third time and about 5 minutes in it was only going left. So I opened it up and the servo is pulled hard left. I can switch the steering and the throttle and I can move the throttle with the steering wheel. I tried new batteries and that wasn't it. If I turn the wheels to the right manually with the power off, they immediately pull hard left again when I turn the power back on. If the transmitter is off the servo goes back to its normal position, but when I turn the transmitter on it turns. I tried to bind the transmitter and receiver again but it still kept happening. I've tried the different dials on the transmitter and I get nothing but hard left. Moving the steering servo from channel 1 to channel 2 has the same result. I'm not going for Nascar so I need something other than left turns. Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

not sure why the center on the servo would have changed, but it sounds like you need to pull the servo horn off, center the servo, then reattached the servo horn. Basically recentering your setup. UNLESS you have bumped the servo trim all the way to one side and did not realize it? that would be a nice easy fix. You dont mention the servo trim in your post.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Looee

I tried taking the horn off the servo and centering it. Still does the same thing. I did notice that with the horn off the servo that the servo goes all the way clockwise and it seems like it wants to keep turning even when it hits its limit. It turns so hard that the top of the servo bows a little bit. Is this just a bad servo? And why would this happen after less than a half hour of use?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:50 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

short from converting it into a NASCAR. I suspect the servo could be dead... only because u said it had the same problem on the 2nd channel.

My advice is...
Remove the servo horn.
Set trim to 0
set the endpoints to there max
Power up radio gear and test the servo, then re test on CH2 like u did before

If u have correctly done the trim and endpoints and it fails both tests, I suspect the servo has maybe overheated and failed.
Sounds like u know what u are doing but if u don't know what or how to adjust the trim and endpoints, just shout out what controller u have and we can do our best to help.
goodluck.

Doh! u must of replied while I was replying lol
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM
phmaximus

Does the servo smell funky?

and just recapping? with the servo horn off, trim centered and end points set to there max. does it turn both ways? or just left
Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 PM
phmaximus

Did u take the servo apart?

For reference...
what car, servo, radio gear?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Looee

I didn't notice anything for smell coming from the servo. Tried setting the trim and end points but that didn't help, it still only turns left. It's an Exceed ND 1009. The car is an Exceed Mad Warrior.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:34 PM
kistner

I am thinking you have a faulty servo. Since its still pretty new maybe contact exceed or whoever sold it to you and see if you can get a replacement. You dont say where you are from, but any local hobby shop would probably have some kind of replacement for you. And you can also get one from tower, amain, hobbyking, hobbypartz, etc.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Looee

I ordered it from Nitro RCX. Any idea how they are on customer service?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:51 PM
kistner

not sure, but you let us know
Old 12-22-2013, 01:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just buy a decent servo most RTR servo's are complete crap anyway.
Customer service from Exceed from my understanding is next to nothing. Remember reading a guy that actually got through it took him over 3 hours of sitting on hold on a phone long distance to get any help...

Now for trouble shooting it sounds lik the gear in the servo broke that turns the pot that tells the servo where it's positioned stripped, or fell off. If you open the servo there will be a pile of gears one will be connected to a motor, and the other to a potentiometer I'm guessing its the gear on the latter that is bad. Now replacing that gear IMO would not be worth it for a RTR servo as that servo probably is only worth $2 + finding the gear would not be easy
Only real reason I know this is I was bored with a servo once, and took it abaprt to see how it worked. Played around and found I could get it turning if I rotated the potentiometer a tad bit.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:09 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Totally agree with SyCo. I got a Turnigy MG brushless servo for my RS4 for 16 bucks, and it was tons better then the other servo it had. Heck, it was so good, it broke the steering servo mount and bellcrank!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Looee

So how do I find out which servo would be equivalent to the that came in the car? And what would be a good kind of servo to buy?
Old 12-22-2013, 06:04 PM
phmaximus

Syco, u touched on a good point. the pointometer is keyed into the bottom of the last gear ( the one that holds the horn). If the key way in the last gear is broken it can't centre.

it might be worth opening the case, and having a look at the bottom of the last gear for damage..

but yeah RTR servos generally suck
Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 PM
eindecker 3

I would get a good quality metal gear servo. I put Hitec MG servos in my crawlers and they haven't let me down yet.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Just looked at the mad warrior that sucker will need a decent servo as its a 1/8th truggy. No idea what the stock servos specs were out side it supposedly being a metal gear servo can't find any other info on it.(had to correct my last statement on thinking the servo was plastic geared)

I use Hitec 645MG's in most my 1/8th things (truggy, and buggy) and they worked fine for me. Won't lie the servo will set you back $30ish though. Some others might be able to recommend others that might cost less that would be up to the task.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 PM
kistner

There were quite a few servo recommendations in this recent thread http://bit.ly/1c0kChd
Should help out.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 AM
elizaharry

Start the car and let it get to operating temp. Turn the wheel all the way to the left lock and then all the way right lock. Do this 4 times. Remove old fluid and replace with new again. Then do the same thing until it gets better.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by elizaharry
Start the car and let it get to operating temp. Turn the wheel all the way to the left lock and then all the way right lock. Do this 4 times. Remove old fluid and replace with new again. Then do the same thing until it gets better.
what the hell?

Seriously I have no idea what this post is even referring to... Only thing I can say though is it obviously isn't talking about anything RC related...

Looking at previous posts makes me think you don't realize RC cars are quite drastically different then real cars as one post where a guy had issues getting a nitro running you said check the fuse to the fuel pump, and then said it could be the ignition system which Nitro RC's have neither...

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 12-23-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 AM
phmaximus

Lol, I think someone is pulling ur leg...

anyways it won't work....he forgot to mention u need to bleed the system by turning the pump by hand. Lol
and I don't see the point of getting it to operating temp just to drain and refill....the fluid is very runny as it is
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Liljohn1979

Default I need help fixing my steering on a jato 3.3

I have a jato 3.3 and my daughter messed with the steering andthrottle trim on the remote control and every sence she messed with steering trim and now the only thing that it dose is turn left it won't turn right so dase anybody now what I can do to fix my steering plz help me I can't figure it out I have a jato3.3 nitro
Old 12-12-2016, 03:13 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Re-center the trims?
Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Reset your transmitter to it's defaults for Profile 3 (Jato, Jato 3.3). That will get you back on track and can fine tune the endpoints.