Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

SCX10 or Wraith?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SCX10 or Wraith?

Well im wanting to get a scx10 or a wraith. which one crawls better? which one has the most and better after market parts? Im not sure if there water proof but i will make it water proof i will be going through mud and snow and trails and more mud lol. which one is best? what is a good motor for them? I here that the Tekin 35T combo's are good does that fit on a wriath or a scx10? help me out.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

box stock, sounds like maybe the wraith would be better....at least for snow as the tires are taller.
The scx crawls better out of the box, as the gearing is a bit better and tires grab a little better.
But in truth, which one crawls the best out of the box will simply depend on what type of rock formations you are crawling on!

The scx chassis has more upgrades, and is easier to customize with bodies/tires ect.

There are plenty of good crawler combos out there. Tekin is high end. I personally use a traxxas xl5 waterproof ESC and basic crawler motor. with the traxxas esc, you sacrifice not having drag brake, but unless you are trying some extreme crawling it is not needed. but the upside is getting waterproof (without having to do it yourself)

The wraith is impressive. even with harder compound tires, taller stock gearing and more heft it can crawl pretty good. It does need the stock steering link replaced, as well as the stock servo. servo is decent, but not enough power for real crawling. and the stock steering link flexes too much.

Both trucks have plus and minus....but neither have strong negative points. Id say it really comes down to what you want based on looks. The scx looks more like a trail truck, where the wraith is like a offroad only crawling rig.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Cool_cris27

well I im not an extreme crawler i would only use this truck on trails the only thing im crawling is some roots some rocks here and there im mostly going mudding based on what you said i like the honcho better but what is good motor that would make this truck faster and have plenty of torque to plow through mud and what are good tires to put on it? also i get kind of confused with batters what battery and charger should i use for that specific motor?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Honestly, I found the stock 27t motor to be very capable. It provides ample speed for most trail, mud, snow and light crawling needs.

You can buy 35t, 45t, 50t and so on motors. higher the turn rating, the more torque. But gearing changes will effect torque and top speed. There is no perfect combo.

Some also go brushless. This gives the option of much higher speed without the loss of torque, especially if a 11.1v lipo is used.

But one aspect of full scale crawling applies well to RC....Have more axle than motor! If you go crazy with power, you will end up snapping driveline parts!

A standard 7.2v 5000mah NIMH battery is fine for crawling and trail driving. You can opt for a 7.4v (8v when fully charged) Lipo battery, which will increase power some and is also a lighter battery which can help when crawling. But you will be plenty happy with a NIMH battery to start with.

But, if money isn't an issue, then buying a Lipo battery and Lipo charger off the bat will save money in the long run. You can google search for info on lipo's and lipo chargers.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Cool_cris27

thank you so much for the help man! looking foward to riding through trails
Old 12-28-2013, 04:06 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly... The SCX10 is one of the rc cars that I will say are absolutely awesome straight from the box... The current generation Honcho is the best it's ever been. It might not look different but it's been tweeted with some little goodies. Ie, stronger drive shafts, slipper, AE2 ESC, ripsaw tyres ect.... IMO it does not NEED any upgrade parts... But some would be nice to have
Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I will agree, current scx10 needs no upgrades for general trail driving and light crawling. Only need upgrades if you want to gear it for a specific type of terrain or driving style.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Cool_cris27

what are good tires for mud? it rains a lot where i am this year so my trails are very wet and muddy atm so what would be good tires that would fit a scx10
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Cool_cris27

wait im looking at the jeep wrangler rubicon rtr scx10 is there a difference? or there the same thing on tower it comes with free battery
Old 12-28-2013, 11:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

different body, maybe body posts and bumpers as well.
the only one that is really different is the axial dingo...as it has as shorter wheelbase than the others.

I like Imex dirt hawgs (pretty sure that's what they were called. Me and my friend both had them on trucks we drove in the snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Do8HD9c-I Note that, to run 2.2 wheels on the scx10 chassis usually requires either trimming the body, or raising the suspension (longer shocks, or mounting stock shocks lower on the frame)
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Cool_cris27

Also is there some type of motor case? forget about the rubicon i like the honcho better but im scared of dirty water is bad for the motor but you can just wash it of somtimes but is there a type of motor case for the sxc10?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

if you get in water that has fine dirt and muck it can jam up a brushed motor. Ive had it happen...usually turning the wheels by hand is enough to free up the motor.
But there are motor "covers" made of fabric with very fine holes, so the motor can still get cooled but not let fine dirt in threw the fan holes (brushed motor has a built in fan, and there are 2 or 3 holes on the end of the can which let air in)

This is where brushless motors are better, as they are the waterproof ones are pretty much a sealed can.

But covering the holes in the brushed motor with tape (which can be done if the temps outside are not to hot) or buying a motor sleeve ect will keep the dirt out. Again, it usually is only an issue in nasty, muddy, non-moving water where the truck driving threw will stir up stuff from the bottom.

I even had a scx10 I ran in the snow once, then left out in the shed. Melted snow got into the motor and then froze. I just had to heat up the motor for the ice to melt and the motor was good to go.

Many people I know like to run brushless, and there are advantages. But since I enjoy trips threw mud, snow, water ect....I prefer to stick with the much less expensive brushed motors. Keep the bearings oiled and brushed motors typically last a long time.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Cool_cris27

awsome ty so much for the help and nice vid
Old 12-28-2013, 05:06 PM
phmaximus

Personally I would try to advoide mud and salt water

why... It gets into everything... Bearings, gears, axle housings, ect ect....and will destroy it.

but worst of all it can get into the tyres.

I know DJ Medic has some fantastic videos of rc cars running in water....like he says in his videos and I can stress enough. U can never make it water proof only water resistant. Things will fail, but he has the income to be able to keep maintaning it.... Allso one thing to consider those trucks in the video are rebuild ground up with the sole purpose of been water resistant. A lot of time end effort goes into water proofing the truck it's not just the electrics u need to worry about.

straight of the bat,if u plan on running in water and u have done everything to make it water resistant, get another set of wheels and tyres with out breather hole
Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
phmaximus

but anyway I highly, highly, highly recommend watching this video... Its full of great information
http://youtu.be/SzmK_tvbejE
Old 12-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Cool_cris27

what would be good tires for mud without breather holes? for mud and trails and wetness lol.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Cool_cris27

ONe more thing i see you can buy a dual motor mount that looks cool i would put a second 27T axial motor in it would it work out? If so how would i do it??
Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by Cool_cris27
ONe more thing i see you can buy a dual motor mount that looks cool i would put a second 27T axial motor in it would it work out? If so how would i do it??
been there, done that.
You either buy a duel motor ESC.....or run a pair of 35 or 50 turn motors off of a single traxxas xl5 (or other 15t capable ESC) The 2 higher turn motors together wont draw more amps than a single 15t motor..so it wont overheat. The duel motor ESC is still the better option.
Both motors must be the same, and have the same size pinion gear.

DJmedic did a duel trans axial...and each trans had a duel motor mount....for a total of FOUR brushless motors! But that guy has money and is just crazy
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Cool_cris27

so what is a not to expensive esc for two 27t axial motors? that would work with it? also like you said before that a 7.2 5000 will do fine would i need a better battery with two motors? if so which one?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM
phmaximus

The breather hole is in the wheel not the tyres

Dont know about 2 motors, it would make the cog really high... And I can see it been an advantage...
Old 12-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Cool_cris27

is the scx10 cappable of four wheel steering?if so what do i need? also what are some water proof servos i could use good torque? is the stock servo water proof??
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM
phmaximus

When are u getting it?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Cool_cris27

maybe today or this week for sure why?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Personally I would try to advoide mud and salt water

why... It gets into everything... Bearings, gears, axle housings, ect ect....and will destroy it.

but worst of all it can get into the tyres.

I know DJ Medic has some fantastic videos of rc cars running in water....like he says in his videos and I can stress enough. U can never make it water proof only water resistant. Things will fail, but he has the income to be able to keep maintaning it.... Allso one thing to consider those trucks in the video are rebuild ground up with the sole purpose of been water resistant. A lot of time end effort goes into water proofing the truck it's not just the electrics u need to worry about.
agree with this
IMO if planning on running in water, or less then ideal conditions its best to have a 2nd vehicle that is cheaper.
Like the one year I did it often I used a DF-02 with plastic bushings everywhere, and an almost all plastic gears. Outside the motor & screws the only real metal parts were the diffs crown, the bevel gear, and the axles so I didn't have to really worry about much rust.
Even then I would bring it in throw it in the tub, and give it a good hose down with fresh water to get all the salt off it from the street, and give the screws, and exposed metal pieces a hose down with WD40.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:11 PM
rcguy1411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my scx 10 lovin it bought the rtr version bashin the hell out of it in the snow so far all is good my lhs offers a 90 day warenty on all parts (sweet ) except water damage to electronics not too worried cause i want to go brushless so my plans are to abuse the hell out of it i have added aluminum stering links and C hub s up front bid improvement with the extra weight up front if you go brushless or do a dual motor need to upgrade driveshafts so far no isue with running it in the snow