Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Top Ballends for traxxas shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top Ballends for traxxas shocks

Here we go guys, I've been searching for a way to get flex at the top mounts.
I've been reccomended some great ideas from nitro fuel line as a bush to a doubble mount system....

I got recommended this method last night and here is the finished product I made.... 6 more to go

all I did was cut the eyelet from the shock cap, sanded smoothe and then drilled a hole in the middle of the cap.
then using a M4 screw up through the bottom of the cap to secure the traxxas short ballends. It's currently using plastic axial hollow balls... Will be replaced with steel traxxas hollow balls. And the bottom mounts are traxxas Jato Telfon screw in balls.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The crawler community regularly does this with traxxas big bores.

Here's another solution...

It's a little tricky to see in this shot, but a ballend has been forced into the eye of the shock and then screwed down. Obviously it makes them cam a little, which depending on your setup may or may not be desirable.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
phmaximus

cheerz I looked into that setup. but I wasn't convinced its an ideal way of doing it.
Because my rig is relatively heavy I assumed the weight would effect the smoothness of that twin joint. in the way the forces are not centred on the ball and try to cock/twist the other 1/2 of the mount
Don't get me wrong I think its a awesome idea and I was going to copy the idea but the other night on a facebook Clodbuster page one of the veteran members recommended the bal end mod....I had never seen it before then.
If u had unlimited money. I would order a 4 sets of the blue RPM stone shields.... to improve on the idea...

Why u ask..... I think the Grey ballends would suit the grey in the shock housing and they are the shortest ballends ive seen that u could screw a M4 bolt into.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:04 PM
phmaximus

Im planning on sending a email to RPM...with some of these pictures attached and try and convince them there is a market for Shock caps with ballends. I figure they make a few upgrade parts for the Ultra Socks so why not complete the line up with some decent caps.

And to see if I can convince them to sell me 8x of those little ballends... My expectaions are very low. but it cant hurt to try.

Only problem I see... alloy shocks are more popular, in proples mind, a alloy cap and housing are a must..... im not convinced

example: Traxxas ultra shocks VS big bores
alloy vs plastic
They both use the same seal (o ring), and the ultra shocks have the option of a true seal with a grease trap.
and the seal tension on the ultra shocks if easier to adjust. its as simple at turning the bottom cap.
So I would say the ultra shocks are a winner there because u have options with the seal and its fully adjustable.
then its said that the bore of the big bore shocks is smoother...they deffinatly look it... but does it really make a difference, I mean the contact area from the piston to the housing is so minimal and if anything the housing on the ultra shocks would help retail the oil...much like a freshly honed car engine
so im very doubtfull there would be a measurable difference in resistance between the 2 when comparing just the resistance from the piston to the bore.

In my mind, because of the adjustable seal on the ultra shocks they are the clear winner. and at $12 for a pair including accessories and oil...
on my slash ive got them set so there is very slight drag and minimal leaking
on my clod they are a little tighter with more drag, but they don't leak