Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What Wheels do I choose..??

Old 07-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Rat Rod Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Wheels do I choose..??

I am scratch building a Rat Rod from my own plans. (yup, im English AND I can read and write...LOL)

The Rat Rod will be about 30" long or 781mm to you metric lot..I was just wondering what wheels I should use, should they be wire spoked wheels or truck type with a solid dish type, I also wish to make it RC and considering that by the tome it is finished, it will be just shy of about 15 pounds..(English pounds..ie 16oz to the pound)
It will be loosely (Very Loosely) based on the 1927 Volvo Jakob, I would appreciate any input for the type of wheels And what RC equipment that you would deem appropriate to be able to move this build.
(p.s, the material I am using is light grade tin that you get cooking oil in)

ANY input would be gratefully received.

Gary Newton.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 AM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, around here our cooking oil comes in plastic bottles so i have no clue how thick your sheet metal is, but i'll assume it's about as thick as a metal coffee can, in which case, you're going to need a stronger frame. as for components, you have a few options depending on how fast you want to go. instead of spending an hour typing and looking up a bunch of stuff you wont use, how about you tell me how fast you expect to go and how much money you're willing to throw at it. that'll be way easier.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a chassis I wouldn't use under 3mm T6 aluminum (well 2mm might work for a strictly on-road car).
Tin IMO unless its quite thick won't hold up

Also for RC's you generally do not use real car schematics as you will need to make a ton of changes to fit the RC components.
Depending on how wide a ratrod it (I looked at a picture of the frame) you might be best off going with a pan car, and stretching it as it has a simple setup.