Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help with I.D. older OFNA

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Guff15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with I.D. older OFNA

Hey gang, I need help in identifying an old OFNA buggy. It's 1/8 scale with a OFNA Picco O-1 engine which I assume is a .21. I did some research on the internet and the only one I could find that was similar was the Ultra Comp, but there's not a lot of pics floating around.

A co-worker wants to sell it as he hasn't ran it in about 9-10yrs. He said that the engine had after run oil put into it as well as the carb after he ran it last. The compression seems good still, but I realize I'll have to go thru the entire car including the engine and carb, air filter and gas tank. It's missing 1 engine bolt and the exhaust pipe mount, but other than that it has everything. Upgrades are the exhaust and servo's (ball bearing). He also has a starter box, extra screw kits, extra spur gear, Hitech controller, charger and a bunch of other stuff. He's asking $150 for everything.

If anyone knows what model this is and if this is a good deal please let me know!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5231.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2088482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5232.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2088483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5233.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	2088484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5236.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2088485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5237.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2088486  
Old 04-12-2015, 06:46 PM
cbaker65

There was acouple of versions,not sure how to know one from the next,I think they put one
out called an Lx model,which I think had the ofna force 21 on it..I had that one..Actually
mine looked like that one other than the blue headed force engine..I think also,some of
the suspension arms & wheel hubs were different...

Last edited by cbaker65; 04-12-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is definitely an Ofna LX series buggy. There's many variations, LX, LX1, Ultra, MBX, MBX Comp, etc. The major differences between the models is the front suspension, sometimes the rear, and the shocks. I had that exact buggy and I believe it's called the LX-One. Either way the front suspension is exactly the same as the one I had. Parts were discontinued when I had mine years ago and it was a pain to find a new front knuckle which is specific to this model. The front universals are unique to this model as well and I needed to buy a parts buggy off eBay when I needed new ones.

It's a solid buggy that can take a beating. Drifting into a curb at 35+mph is the only reason I broke a front knuckle. The design is very old (especially the front suspension) so it won't win any races on a track and some parts aren't easy to find. It does appear to be in great shape though, probably only needs the shock and diff fluids topped off, new fuel lines and maybe the engine cleaned of any nitro fuel residue. If you're looking for something just to bomb around with it'll last and would be worth the $150 since it's so nice and also RTR. But if you're looking to upgrade it or are going to beat on it you're going to need parts eventually and that could become problematic and/or pricier than buying something newer. Other, newer Ofna LX buggies can be had RTR like yours for around the same price.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 04-12-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:56 AM
Guff15

Thanks for the replies gang. It's definitely one of the LX models, but I just can't nail down which one. Everything I find doesn't have the Picco O-1 engine though. My co-worker swears that it's the engine that came with it as it was new when he got it and the only upgrades he did were the servos and pipe.

I forgot to mention, and it's not that visible in any of the pics I posted, but on the backplate is a fuel line that goes to the bottom of the carb (if memory serves me correct as I'm at work right now). Don't know if that bit of info will help or not. It does not have a pull start but a starter box.

I'm bummed to hear that parts are hard to find, but I don't know if I can pass this deal up considering all of the extras that's coming with it. I plan on taking it to my LHS on Tuesday to have him go over it before I actually commit to buying it. Maybe he can tell me exactly what it is (fingers crossed, lol).

I do do know that the shocks need to be torn down and at least the oil changed as the rears won't rebound hardly at all.

One questionion regarding cleaning the engine, carb and fuel tank of old nitro.......What's best to use on them without risking any damage to seals or plastic? The tank was left with a small amount of nitro in it and now it looks like 50wt oil inside.

Last edited by Guff15; 04-13-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Maj_Overdrive

For cleaning any nitro residue you can simply use new nitro fuel for something stronger there's always acetone. The fuel tank looks clean in the pics, just yellowed from age. You can always remove the tank, run a line from the outlet to pressure fitting and fill it with nitro or acetone though. Judging by the tank the engine probably doesn't have much residue, if the engine turns freely I wouldn't do anything but soak the carb. Sometimes you create more headaches taking stuff apart trying to fix them than if you left them alone.

Idk about your shocks, but on the buggy I had the springs were shot. That would be be more likely cause of your rear shocks not rebounding, that and bent hinge pins. After all shock oil slows rebound, less oil would equal quicker rebound if anything.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Guff15

Well, got back from my LHS and he said pull the trigger on the buy! So.... I bought new fuel lines, new glow plug and ordered the front bumper, air filter and exhaust pipe wire. I'm going to get the rest of the stuff from my co-worker and then hopefully try to fire the beast up by the weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't take much to hear the roar.

On a side note, the OFNA Picco 0-1 engine is NOT stock. My co-worker said he forgot that right after the Force .21 break in he was getting dusted at the track so he went and bought the new engine. Too bad he doesn't have the Force .21 anymore. I could recoup some of my money by selling it. lol.

I still haven't found out which exact model this is though. My LHS said he is 80% sure it's a Ultra LX Pro though. At this point, who cares? At least my LHS can get parts when I need them!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If parts are somewhat impossible to find I wouldent recomend buying it...

I just hope ur LHS is not taking you for a ride. It just seems strange that they are not to sure what it is but are saying they can get parts, where one of the members on here had the exact model years ago and had difficulties find parts that are specific to that model

my advice would be to check out OFNA.com and see if U can find its manual to download. Then do ur own research on parts availability and price or keep looking...

Good luck, I hope it works out for you
Old 04-14-2015, 04:11 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Guff15
Well, got back from my LHS and he said pull the trigger on the buy! So.... I bought new fuel lines, new glow plug and ordered the front bumper, air filter and exhaust pipe wire. I'm going to get the rest of the stuff from my co-worker and then hopefully try to fire the beast up by the weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't take much to hear the roar.

On a side note, the OFNA Picco 0-1 engine is NOT stock. My co-worker said he forgot that right after the Force .21 break in he was getting dusted at the track so he went and bought the new engine. Too bad he doesn't have the Force .21 anymore. I could recoup some of my money by selling it. lol.

I still haven't found out which exact model this is though. My LHS said he is 80% sure it's a Ultra LX Pro though. At this point, who cares? At least my LHS can get parts when I need them!
There is a place were they sale hard to find ofna parts,I ran across them when I was lookin for parts
for my Ld3.I will have to find their web site.
I got some ofna a-arms if you wan them,They are free.Not sure if they fit yours,however they are
new in a package,an do have the parts # on them....Im quite sure that they go to a 1/8 buggy..
Old 04-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by phmaximus
If parts are somewhat impossible to find I wouldent recomend buying it...

I just hope ur LHS is not taking you for a ride. It just seems strange that they are not to sure what it is but are saying they can get parts, where one of the members on here had the exact model years ago and had difficulties find parts that are specific to that model

my advice would be to check out OFNA.com and see if U can find its manual to download. Then do ur own research on parts availability and price or keep looking...

Good luck, I hope it works out for you
My LHS guy is pretty knowledgeable and a straight forward guy. He did say that it's definitely an LX model and most parts are interchangeable. He looked up 3 different models on the parts I ordered and all but the exhaust pipe wire were the same, not to mention that I didn't have to pay up front. So if they come in wrong I'm not out any money. He even threw in some body clips for free as the buggy didn't have any...lol.

Originally Posted by cbaker65
There is a place were they sale hard to find ofna parts,I ran across them when I was lookin for parts
for my Ld3.I will have to find their web site.
I got some ofna a-arms if you wan them,They are free.Not sure if they fit yours,however they are
new in a package,an do have the parts # on them....Im quite sure that they go to a 1/8 buggy..
Thanks bro! If you could let me know what the part number is I can cross reference to see if they will work on this. If so then I'll gladly take them.

Last edited by Guff15; 04-14-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Guff15
My LHS guy is pretty knowledgeable and a straight forward guy. He did say that it's definitely an LX model and most parts are interchangeable. He looked up 3 different models on the parts I ordered and all but the exhaust pipe wire were the same, not to mention that I didn't have to pay up front. So if they come in wrong I'm not out any money. He even threw in some body clips for free as the buggy didn't have any...lol.

Thanks bro! If you could let me know what the part number is I can cross reference to see if they will work on this. If so then I'll gladly take them.
Ive had them for about 5 yrs,an had them on other forums as freebies,but no one needed them.I
dont sell none of my xtra or left over parts.These parts that I get are parts that came in lots that
I won on ebay auctions,so these parts that I give away didnt cost me.
I give the rc parts away to fellow rcers..

They are front & rear lower arms.The rear #s are 19039,fronts are 19103.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Many parts are interchangeable on LX platform buggies. The chassis is the same until the newer bronze chassis and except for the MBX models I'm pretty sure everything on the chassis is the same as well. The unique parts on that model buggy are the front upper and lower arms, the front knuckles, and the front and rear axles. The front is universals that can't be taken apart and the rear is dog bones. The front and rear stub axles are 6mm (instead of 8mm) and they don't use a drive pin for the wheel hex. Instead there's a flat spot on the axle and a grub screw in the wheel hex. Thankfully the wheel hex has the same threads as the 8mm wheel hex used on newer models that's why the hex nuts are blue on yours instead of the gold of the wheel hex itself.

I managed to find old stock knuckles in stock at a somewhat local hobby shop. Other LX models use a very similar looking knuckle, including the hyper 7, but trust me they don't work with your model at all. The front universals I searched tower, nitrohouse and others for with no luck. I'm sure there's old stock lying around somewhere if you ever needed them though. At the time I bought a roller off eBay for $30 to get mine as my $20 garage sale roller turned brushless beast ate one of the front universals. Since the bulkheads are the same it's likely possible you could bolt a newer models arms, knuckles and axles to your buggy. You may have to change the upper hinge pin holders to get proper geometry though. In the rear you could get away with just changing to the new style knuckle with matching axles. But by doing a suspension swap your total investment goes up into the range of a newer buggy which is what I was trying to warn of.

As I said though, it depends on how you plan to use the buggy. Mine withstood 35+mph barrel rolls and cartwheels so they're pretty darn tough. Start flying it too high or smashing into stuff though and parts will break. One thing I would look into upgrading is the steering tie rods. They're pretty thin and would bend during my multiple barrel rolls messing up the toe. I wish you luck with the buggy I had tons of fun with mine. Just keep in mind my list of unique parts of you ever need to buy parts to avoid having to return stuff.

Edit: If you want to adjust camber it's a pain. The Upper arm is 2 pieces connected by a long grub screw. You have to take the top screw out of the knuckle, then turn the outer portion of the arm in 1/2 turn increments to adjust the ca be before putting the screw back into the knuckle. Don't forget to put loctite on it.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 04-14-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 AM
Guff15

Maj_OD, thanks brother! Very useful info. I don't plan on doing alot of hard bashing with it, just some casual screwing around. When I reach a point where I can't find a part will be the time I'll retire it. I'm hoping to get a few yrs at minimum out of it though.

i figure with as little time the chassis and suspension have on them, as well as even less time on the engine it should provide lots of fun as long as I keep reminding myself of its age while I'm running it. I always have my Backdraft to fall back on, even though getting parts is a PITA due to waiting for them.

Last edited by Guff15; 04-15-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Guff15

I finally received a response from OFNA. It appears I have an Ultra GT LX, which was replaced by the Ultra LX Pro. I guess the distinguishing factor is the blue shocks which came in a combo with a few other things which this car has. Those types of differences are the only way you can tell one model from the next according to OFNA.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:37 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh phew.... I was worried for a bit... But that's aewsome,
Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 PM
nfichaomc

The front universals are unique to this model as well and I needed to buy a parts buggy off eBay when I needed new ones.