Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

best solid axle monster truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 PM
tn102

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best solid axle monster truck?

So I have just about everything settled, and now it is time to get myself an outside tinker toy. I want something that is brushless, with 4x4 and solid axles. I really like the Monster Truck or Scale rig looks compared to crawlers. I'd like it to go somewhat fast (25mph?) And still go places. It doesn't have tobrushless right off the bat, but I would like a single esc and battery set up When I do go there. 4 wheel steering would be nice, but not necessary.

I've looked at several and can't decide on any.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at the Axial Yeti or Yeti XL?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 PM
tn102

I have, and yet they would fill what I want, they are not.

I'm looking at the Tamiya TXT-2, with a single brushless motor and a 2s lipo. other than the cost and not knowing how fast it would be, I don't know if I am gonna go that route.

The Wheely King was another I looked at, but again, I can't find anything about speed and reliability under brushles.

I did read somewhere about an axial and a wheely king being combined to become a "Clod Killer"

Maybe there is something I can buy the parts for instead of a kit, and then all the upgrades?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get a Redcat Ground Pounder. The chassis and radio are kinda cool but that's it. The Axles are weak, the trans setup could be better and the shock springs are way too stiff. Eventually mine is going to get an Axial trans and Wraith axles (Wraith Pounder) but I wish I started with something else.

http://rctruckstop.com/2012/11/13/mo...e-clod-killer/
Is that the Clod Killing Wheelyking/Wraith truck you mean? It's a really cool truck and made me want something similar but I cheaped out and went for the Redcat. There are chassis kits from CPE and others that use wraith axles and trans so you can bolt it all together instead of making stuff. But by the time you buy Axles and trans off eBay, a chassis kit, shocks, motor and esc, servos, the price starts getting up there. But you could buy two front axles and be setup for rear steer. The aftermarket for Wraith axles and trans is also ridiculous, the sky is the limit.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 04-28-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:13 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the Kyosho MadForce Kruiser VE? It's a solid axle monster trick with single brushless ESC and motor but it does use dual batteries.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:55 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing is a clod killer....27 years later and it's still winning nationals

CPE Terminator Wins 2015 Horsepower Nationals!
Congrats to Travis Mowery for winning the inaugural Horsepower Nationals solid-axle monster truck event at Middle River Hobbies driving the Storm Damage Terminator chassis! Travis beat out over 30 other monsters to take the title, and with a truck he'd never even run before!

http://youtu.be/9XhK2dlTZfM

Last edited by phmaximus; 04-29-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:04 AM
phmaximus

Here is some insperation. My clod is not exactly a monster truck, but size wise it's a monster and it's a truck

here it is on a pair of 1/10 Axial SCX10's

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5286
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	2092956   Click image for larger version

Views:	4552
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	2092957   Click image for larger version

Views:	4643
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	2092958  
Old 04-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Mwildmann

Originally Posted by robwiljas
What about the Kyosho MadForce Kruiser VE? It's a solid axle monster trick with single brushless ESC and motor but it does use dual batteries.
That's what came to my mind when I read the OP.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wheely king does not handle brushless well the transmission doesn't hold up as the gears are plastic.
There are steel gears, but I forgot where you get them. We had a member here who made his WK go so fast he could clear the truck he drove. I remember him saying the stock tranny gears melted on him on BL power. The diffs could handle it though as they are also the diffs used in a the HPI RS4 line).
Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM
tn102

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
Don't get a Redcat Ground Pounder. The chassis and radio are kinda cool but that's it. The Axles are weak, the trans setup could be better and the shock springs are way too stiff. Eventually mine is going to get an Axial trans and Wraith axles (Wraith Pounder) but I wish I started with something else.

http://rctruckstop.com/2012/11/13/mo...e-clod-killer/
Is that the Clod Killing Wheelyking/Wraith truck you mean? It's a really cool truck and made me want something similar but I cheaped out and went for the Redcat. There are chassis kits from CPE and others that use wraith axles and trans so you can bolt it all together instead of making stuff. But by the time you buy Axles and trans off eBay, a chassis kit, shocks, motor and esc, servos, the price starts getting up there. But you could buy two front axles and be setup for rear steer. The aftermarket for Wraith axles and trans is also ridiculous, the sky is the limit.
That is the one. I think building one might be better, so I don't have to have a bunch of money right up front. The problem is that I can't make my own stuff, I don't have the tools or access to the materials to do it if I need to.

Originally Posted by robwiljas
I looked at it, but I HATE the two battery setup like my EMAXX. I'd have to get another charger to charge both my emaxx and that. I have a dual and a single battery charger right now. I don't want to have to get another.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 PM
tn102

So could I get a wheely king, and swap to axial front axles for front and rear, change the gears in the transmission to metal, and install brushless and call it a day?

How would I do the axle swap???
Old 04-29-2015, 06:37 PM
phmaximus

I think ur best bet would be to build one. For what u are planing u are going to been a ton on upgrades to make it durable.
Come to think of it any truck from Ground pounder, clodbuster, wraith, and wheelie king is going to need durability upgrades to handle a brushed motor. the only one that might be ok straight out the box would be the mad force. Also one thing to consider the wheelie king is small. Comparison to the others.

for a complete Axial wraith diff assembly ur looking around the $75 each...

If I was me I'd most likely go for a Axial wraith and then when I have a spare $100 buy a CPE barbarian chassis and swap everything onto that, and if ur lucky u should be able to sell the old wraith chassis and body to cover the cost of of a monster truck body and wheels
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tn102
I looked at it, but I HATE the two battery setup like my EMAXX. I'd have to get another charger to charge both my emaxx and that. I have a dual and a single battery charger right now. I don't want to have to get another.
What kind of chargers do you have? You don't have to have a dual pack charger. With the right adapter you can charge 2x 2s lipos as a single 4s. That's what I always did.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:26 PM
mkeomotupp

I can't find anything about speed and reliability under brushles.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:15 PM
tn102

Originally Posted by phmaximus
I think ur best bet would be to build one. For what u are planing u are going to been a ton on upgrades to make it durable.
Come to think of it any truck from Ground pounder, clodbuster, wraith, and wheelie king is going to need durability upgrades to handle a brushed motor. the only one that might be ok straight out the box would be the mad force. Also one thing to consider the wheelie king is small. Comparison to the others.

for a complete Axial wraith diff assembly ur looking around the $75 each...

If I was me I'd most likely go for a Axial wraith and then when I have a spare $100 buy a CPE barbarian chassis and swap everything onto that, and if ur lucky u should be able to sell the old wraith chassis and body to cover the cost of of a monster truck body and wheels
I think that might be what I do. Get a wraith, go brushless (Traxxas Velinion for waterproof, unless there is a better sensored way) and them get that and go from there, swap chassis and the rear for a front axle

is that a standard short course body on that in the bottom picture on their page? Fits better than the one they show :P
Old 05-04-2015, 04:51 AM
tn102

Well I'm picking up a fully modified RTR Clodbuster for $100. It has an aluminum chassis, I don't know which one, and a lot of other hop ups. It's an original one too, not a re-release.

I think I'm gonna get new bearings for it right off the bat, and go from there. It doesn't have lipo cutoff, so I'll get an esc that does.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So could I get a wheely king, and swap to axial front axles for front and rear, change the gears in the transmission to metal, and install brushless and call it a day?

How would I do the axle swap???
could do the opposite keep the WK axles, and use a axial tranny as the gear ratio is exactly the same with the WK, and axial differentials.(you need to do some tinkering with traxxas parts to make em fit as I have done it)
The diffs are steel in the WK's diffs they are the same exact hardened gears used in the nitro RS4 line like in the MT2
Old 05-04-2015, 05:13 PM
phmaximus

Well I'm picking up a fully modified RTR Clodbuster for $100. It has an aluminum chassis, I don't know which one, and a lot of other hop ups. It's an original one too, not a re-release.

I think I'm gonna get new bearings for it right off the bat, and go from there. It doesn't have lipo cutoff, so I'll get an esc that does.
Wow... That's aewsome score.... I'm jealous.....

If if uwant post up some good pictures and I can happy help identify what's stock and what's not.

If u are on Facebook checkout the "Tamiya clodbusters owners society" page..... Highly recommend
Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM
tn102

Wow... That's aewsome score.... I'm jealous.....

If if uwant post up some good pictures and I can happy help identify what's stock and what's not.

If u are on Facebook checkout the "Tamiya clodbusters owners society" page..... Highly recommend
I kno w. I've been excited all week to get it. The guy is out of town during the week, so I should have it some time this weekend.

I'm going to upgrade it to sidewinder esc's so I ca n program them.

One question I have is I'm going to run it on 2s. I'm going to have it one on one single battery, but also want to run 2 For run time (when the emaxx isn't being ran). I'll have to make a y for the 2 Esc to one for the batteries, but should I unplug that when I run 2, Or should I make a parallel y for the batteries To plug into the y for the escs?

I'm planning on getting a spektrum dx4c for this Too, and Maybe run a bec.

Also, what motors are recommended for this set up? I have a few sidewinders I can send in for repair, so that will save me some money
Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 PM
tn102

just got the clod today! I'm going to start a new thread in the Tamiya Monster Truck section so I have a thread specifically for that, instead of keeping this one, as it would be off-topic of the original post
Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 AM
phmaximus

I think those threads are somewhat dead these days....

unless u have a very very very good lipo I wouldent recomend running 2 brushless ESC from it.

id recomend wiring both ESC together and run dual batteries.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM
tn102

I think those threads are somewhat dead these days....

unless u have a very very very good lipo I wouldent recomend running 2 brushless ESC from it.

id recomend wiring both ESC together and run dual batteries.
set up for run time, which would be parallel, correct? I'll do this when bashing, but i want to race it, which only allows a single lipo
Old 05-11-2015, 03:41 AM
phmaximus

No, it's so u don't fry ur ESC or puff ur lipo....

Just make sure when u go brushless that the motors don't draw more than the battery can supply
Old 05-11-2015, 02:58 PM
tn102

No, it's so u don't fry ur ESC or puff ur lipo....

Just make sure when u go brushless that the motors don't draw more than the battery can supply
Yes, of course. I will run it on 2 most of the time. I will get a good hard case high C rating battery when I do upgrade.

It seems ESP, the place that made the chassis I have, is out of business? I'd like to keep it, but I need to order just a few parts from them, the body mounts and the cantilever suspension kit for this chassis. Looks like I'm going to have to switch eventually
Old 05-14-2015, 06:08 PM
tn102

What would I need to swap this over to the CPE Terminator chassis? Just the chassis and the rear servo axle mount? The full kit comes with a rear lockout...Which I don't want.

Also, I thinking I might put the "Aggressor" steering kit in the front, could I swap axles around and have the front the rear, and vice versa? Or would I have to swap steering parts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.