Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Buggy Recommendations - 4wd Electric 1/8 Scale - y

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Buggy Recommendations - 4wd Electric 1/8 Scale - y

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:48 PM
jdlev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy Recommendations - 4wd Electric 1/8 Scale - y

Hi Guys,

I'm interested in personal experience stories.

Here's the criteria of what I'd like, but I'm not sure what to get:
A) Brand New
B) Reputable brand with good durability, yet could eventually be taken racing
C) Buggy - $500 budget Charger & Batteries - $200 budget (but would like at least a 3s for more speed)
D) Speed - 60+ mph
E) 1/8 Scale
F) 4wd

So what do you guys recommend

I've considered the Losi 8ight, but don't really know a ton about it or RC buggies in general.Also seen the redcats on ebay seem to be a pretty decent deal. So what do you guys run, how happy are you with it, and if you had $700 to spend on a buggy, 2 batteries and a charger...what would you do?
Old 06-21-2015, 08:43 PM
Guff15

If your budget is $500 just for the buggy and the potential for racing later then stay away from Redcat. People on here have different opinions on what buggy to get for that amount of a budget, but I can tell you that I own a Redcat Backdraft 3.5 and an older OFNA Ultra GT LX. Both are nitro but the build quality and parts are night and day apart. The OFNA is thicker all around than the Backdraft which IMO will hold up better to alot of bashing. I wouldn't worry so much about speed, especially if you're going to race it, which means stay clear of 2 speed center diffs.

I'm sure you'll get someone alot more knowledgeable than myself to chime in!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:25 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

OFNA is good. Many people are all naysayer about it when I bring it to the track, saying if I had a "real truck", I'd do better. Then I kick their rear ends hard and you should see the looks on their faces when I do, lol. OFNA stuff is really durable too. Only broken 2 parts on my Nexx10SC out of the 3-4 years of ownership.

Buggy; http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/ofna-hy...n14361/p291824

Batteries; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-plug-x2-packs

Charger; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...attery-charger

Charge Adapter; http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/lrp-2-x...p65822/p291926
Old 06-22-2015, 05:13 AM
jdlev

This proves I've been out of RC'ing for 15+ years...I've never actually heard of OFNA lol. I'll check out their stuff, and see what they're all about. I was thinking about checking out the stuff that's been around for a long time (idk maybe ofna has too!), was going to mainly check out losi and team associated (really dig the associated 8.2 and losi 8ight)

On a side note...I've seen all this stuff is 'ROAR' approved...what exactly is that?
Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 AM
collector1231

It basically means if you go to a big ROAR race, you can use it there. Any equipment you use at a ROAR race must be ROAR approved. Clubs never enforce this rule, so having a few non-ROAR products and you're not a big racer is okay.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 AM
collector1231

And my bad!! Just saw you were missing a connector if you were to use those batteries in that car.

Adapter; http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/protek-...k-5322/p244693
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 PM
jdlev

Thanks for all the tips. Ended up picking up this bad boy: The Team Associated RC8.2E for $500 shipped Get's here friday...can't wait!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 PM
allhenyia

Ended up picking up this bad boy