Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Issue with overheating.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with overheating.

Hey guys. I own a Traxxas slash 4x4 platinum with the velineon brushless system and I run a 3s lipo 50c 5200mah battery. I run it for like 10-12 min and then it gets super hot. Like you can't even keep your hand on if for to long. It goes in to thermal mode. Everything on it is stock. Pls help I just want to drive it without having to worry about it overheating
Old 12-31-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is it that is getting that hot? The motor or ESC? or both? do you have the wiring hooked up properly? Whats the rating on the motor and ESC? Is it rated to handle 3s or only 2s? maybe the discharge rate of 50c is too much for the ESC. My sons car is only rated to 2s lipo. so if I put in a 3s it would be too much.

EDIT:

I looked up your ride and the enclosed ESC and motor are rated to use 3s. I have no clue. Need more detail, was it acting odd at all? is the slipper set up correctly? does that model use a slipper clutch? lol need more info.

Last edited by mattster1971; 12-31-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Whenever I add more voltage or a more powerful motor into the mix, I always lower the tooth count on the pinion gear. What type of terrain is being driven on; driving style; gearing, and a possible binding issue all have to be taken into consideration.

Was there ever an issue with heat when using 2S LiPo packs?
Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 PM

What gearing are you using?

Doing routine maintenance is a must. Going over the driveline is a necessary evil sometimes. At least take off the motor and give the Slash a roll. Turning the wheels by hand, and feel the gears moving...any "notchiness"? I don't know how often your RC gets use, but after awhile you get to know the sound of your vehicle running good.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's both getting hot. The only odd thing is it sometimes just randomly goes into reverse. And everything is stock. I haven't changed anything
Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM

Stan Lee once said, "With great power there must also come great responsibility."

More voltage = more speed = more stress = more wear&tear

Drop down 4 teeth from stock recommended pinion gear (if possible) and go from there. That's the simplest thing I can tell ya to do. Another thing, make a small investment in a IR temp gun to get some baseline readings on motor and ESC. Some sort of IR temp taking device, IMO, is the #1 tool you can have in your RC pit box when changing things up on your ride.

That Nubee NUB8380H is pretty darn good in my book. I was having thermal shut downs with my one ESC (over heat protection kicks in @ 180°F) and the temp gun was giving me readings of 179°F on ESC heat-sink. I'm very happy with the accuracy of the Nubee.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Was this truck purchased second hand (used)? Perhaps there are some bad bearings or something else causing drag on the driveline. That would certainly cause the motor to draw more current and heat things up quite a bit. I'd be checking the bearings in the transmission and axles at the least if everything else checks out okay.