Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

General Questions - vintage HPI RS4 MT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

General Questions - vintage HPI RS4 MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Mike12759

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Questions - vintage HPI RS4 MT

So I dug up my old RC car (vintage 1996/7) and thanks to collector1231 I was able to identify the make/model as an HPI RS4 MT ...

I ordered a couple of new batteries (Venom 3000) and found a dog bone I was missing off the front on ebay and had a few questions ...

I am missing the truck body and am looking for a suitable replacement (preferably pre painted) ... question is - can I go into my local hobby shop and use any 1/10 body (thinking I may need to drill new mounting holes).

Next Question - The car came with a BRUSH motor ... would like to swap for a brush-less - Car will primarily see the street ... I see a lot about turns and voltages and am lost ...any recommendations?

I see that parts are hard to come by for this truck but would be interested in converting some items to aluminum Frame, Shock towers etc .. know any place that sells aluminum parts (i had no luck online).

I've attached a pic so you can see what I am starting with ..

Thanks in advance

-Mike-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPI RS4 MT.jpg
Views:	1813
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	2157033  
Old 04-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew someone with one of these, they had a pretty hard time finding parts for it and this was about 10yrs ago. FYI the chassis isn't all that strong up front, he broke 2 of them. I ended up making an aluminum skid plate for him when he got the 2nd chassis to help strengthen it. He also tried going brushless on 2s and it eventually stretched out the front belt. I'd recommend not going 3s. I forget how available the belts were or are now.

As as for a body, I'm sure there are some 1/10 stadium truck bodies that'll fit.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:59 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the shout out! Maj is just about right for the body and that plate. The HPI Firestorm 10T body looks like it might fit on there. If you give me a little, I can get measurements of it for you. For brushless, I'd suggest at most a 13.5 combo, but to be safe, go with a 17.5 combo. Voltage shouldn't be a problem with NiMH and 2S LiPOs. All you need to know about turns is higher turn = more torque and acceleration, but less speed. Lower turn is just about the opposite. For belts, a company called Tough Racing is who I would suggest. I bought some belts for my RS4 Rally from them and they fit fine.

Belts; http://www.toughracing.com/zc126d/in...bbc1935b0d6a93

17.5 Combo; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Passio...25.m3641.l6368
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Mike12759

Thanks for the quick responses guys ...

I expect to have the batteries and dog bone by Friday and will let you know how it runs in its current form.

-Mike
Old 02-09-2024, 05:45 PM
JanusAtTheGate

Default Same project

I'm looking to do the same thing with a 2000 vintage MT at the newest. I needed a front shock tower and spent about a year searching. From Nally found one in ENGLAND! (I am in NJ). I was hoping someone made kevlar belts or something of the like but couldn't find any. It that a thing or no? Judging from what others have said I should probably stick to 2s. It will be mostly road since that what my neighborhood is. Is there a specific kv range I should be looking at? I have a few different 1/10 motor SCs just not sure which to use. One is a Castle Sidewinder 4 3800kv. That is the the lowest speed one I think I have for 1/10. Think that would work without tearing it apart under 2s?