Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can a beginner part-build an rc car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Rusty Creek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a beginner part-build an rc car?

I am just getting into the hobby of rc cars, but I don't see anything commercially available that fits what I think I would like to run. I would like a muscle car, but those that I have seen are based on drift car chassis, and I would like to do a solid rear axle, possibly with leaf springs. And maybe its asking too much of one car, but I would like to be able to lift the suspension and run off road, like Dom's charger from Furious 7. I have considered the Tamiya CC-01 chassis, because there is a way to set it up for a street car suspension height, and it is solid rear axle, but I am worried about fitting a car body on the bathtub chassis. For part-building I am concerned about building a frame, part fitment, and getting all the necessary nuts and bolts.
Either way, I am planning on using a Tactic ttx300 radio/reciever, a Hitec HS-645MG servo, and a Traxxas XL-5 ESC. If anyone could give me some thoughts on kit vs part-building, or parts I could use to build my own chassis, I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are RC cars with solid rear axles and leaf springs. Go look at Axial. Also RC4WD. You can source parts there.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 AM
McFlyz

Leaf spring parts,http://store.rc4wd.com/Leaf-Springs_c_22.html http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPMH0

Solid rear axle, a6957270-53-image.jpg

Going to take some searching and work but thats the fun, Take pics as you go and keep us updated. Would like to watch this being built and read what you figured out. Thanks, Marty.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Rusty Creek

Thanks. I'm thinking of getting an HPI E10 drift chassis to start with, and then lifting it to .5" or .75" of ground clearance; and maybe eventually making a new rear frame for a solid axle and leaf springs, if I go that far. The lift kind of depends on the wheel and tire size, because I want the old muscle car look, and the lowest points on some of those cars was just below axle height. One of my concerns is that if i lift the HPI car with its independent suspension, it will cause problems with the driveshafts and steering arms.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 PM
Jbrewer713

Hey that's an awsome question I build a few muscle cars using tt02 chassis, tl01 and two crawlers full locker cc01 . Check my gallery out and it may give an ideal in what you are looking for. Hope it will help. If you have any questions feel free and drop me a line.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 AM
Rusty Creek

Thanks. You have some neat cars. I am kind of opposed to the CC-01 chassis at this point, because from what I have seen I could get an RTR drift car like a Vaterra or an HPI for the same price or even cheaper than what it would cost me to set up the CC-01. My other concern, like I originally posted, is that the CC-01's tub chassis might be too wide for a car body.
Another thing, I saw your post on wanting to make a tow truck, that sounds like a neat project. Are you planning on making it functional?
Old 04-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Jbrewer713

True but the one that has the ford f100 body was all used parts.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't been here in awhile, but here is a recommendation do not but the HPI E10
You would probably have more fun, and enjoyment literally ripping the money up, and flushing it down the toilet.

I've owned the EB10(which is based on the same parts), and to date it is the ONLY RC I've actually thrown in the garbage can as it was a 100% complete piece of trash. It was well designed, but the parts plastic quality was on par with $20 toystore RC's, and the chassis snapped in half from the STOCK motor without hitting anything. I will say I spent quite a bit to try and make the thing work in fabricating parts, but there were too many issues with questionable choices HPI made. Questionable choices the chassis's material, the differentials (they are LITERALLY plastic I actually melted one on my 2nd run...). Now if they used a better material for the chassis, and a better diff the vehicle line would have been excellent.

I would recommend a TT01e(I own one not too bad, and can take a brushless system no problem), or literally anything else over it.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Rusty Creek

Thanks for the input. What would you think about running an rc drift car lifted to .75 - 1 inch of ground clearance? I want a more stock muscle car ride height, but I am worried about screwing up steering or the driveshafts.