Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Pinion Screw STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Lonnz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Screw STUCK

Hey guys I have a stripped pinion screw any suggestions on how to remove it? Thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 01:05 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

there is a tool that your reverse screw into a stripped allen head but I am unsure if they come that small. And I am sorry but I forget the name of the tool.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Lonnz

Thanks, any suggestions help.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:30 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

look up 'grabit'. I think they come in micro sizes. The other thing might be to heat the pinion up a little and try to yank it off. Maybe you get the grub out after, maybe not but at least you can use the motor.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

"Micro" screw extractors, I believe, will get as small as a 3mm screw out. If anybody finds a "Super Micro" extractor set, let me know.

There are all kinds of pinion gear pullers you can buy. If you are in a hurry, just drill the grub/set screw out. Just be sure to have some extra bits handy .

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-07-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:38 PM
DaveHickey

9 times out of 10 I've had a pinion I couldn't remove it's been an allen wrench problem. I carefully grind back the end of the wrench to make sure there is no rounding of the flats and retry. Next thing is to try flattening the wrench slightly and drive it into the set screw and try to get it to turn. I might also try heating the pinion first, but if all this fails, just tape up the motor and grind the set screw out with a fiber reinforced cut off wheel on your Dremel tool. Sacrifice the pinion for the motor.

D.H.