Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Car wont stay running....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 06:49 AM
nagga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont stay running....

hey all, i just got a Losi GTX, and it fires right up, but after i rally for just like 30 seconds, it will just shut off, the most ive gotten it to run is maybe a couple minutes, but then it would just shut off, then i would have to pull the glow plug, crank it over, put the plug back in and start over. also when i try and lean out the carb so it doesnt spray fuel out the pipe, it doesnt make a difference really, but i cant do any tests at the moments, awaiting a new connecting rod, piston and sleeve, a slight over revving accident, but i can say that i am very happy with the performance of that little TNT .12R motor, thing screams!! please help me out with my motor problem, do u think that i need a idler bar to keep it running?? in need of help bad, want to drive a full tank through it before it dies, thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2002, 12:25 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

try richening the engine you may be running it to lean and the engine is flaming out. When does the engine shut off like in the middle of full throttle or when it idles
Old 04-26-2002, 10:24 PM
nagga

well its died either or, and on my real car, an 84 camaro with a 350, when its too rich it doenst run that great, and it will die because it has to much fuel, so im thinking that its too rich and when i go at WOT it puts so much gas in there that it cant burn it all, and it just dies
Old 04-27-2002, 02:26 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nagga- R/C engines don't act like real car engines. Most of the time, the engine won't die just from being too rich. Even at break in settings you will still be able to pull full throttle and get to top speed, only it will be much slower. If the engine is too lean, it will go like hell right up to its top speed then sputter and die if you don't let off the gas. In either case, rich or lean, it will sputter before it dies. The only time I had an engine just die was when the piston and sleeve needed to be replaced. After a few minutes I would hit the gas and out of the blue it would just quit. It's kind of interesting when this happens on the face of a jump. It must have flipped 3 times before it hit the ground. Get a new glow plug when you get your new parts and reset the needles to their break-in positions and idle 3 tanks through and then drive slowly for 2 more tanks and the lean it out 1/8 turn for each consecutive tank until it is at the proper mixture.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:44 AM
nagga

yeah maybe i just needed a new piston and sleeve, cause sometimes it would just die on startup, but also what are the breakin settings for my carb?
Old 04-28-2002, 04:08 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I'll put money on the piston and sleeve as the problem. You will have to look in the manual to find to settings or call the manufacturer. Usually, the high end setting is 3 turns out for most motors.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:36 PM
Mike2002

Have you ever thought about the engine overheating and then dying? That happened to me friend's airplane engine when it was enclosed around the cowling.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:23 AM
nagga

its not a temp prob, cause sometimes it would die after it running for like 5 secs, and the head would be cool still
even when running for a few mins, its not real hot, but kind of