Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hyper 7 Pro or MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper 7 Pro or MBX5

I'm deciding between a Hyper 7 Pro or MBX5 for my next buggy, my LHS carries stuff from both OFNA and Mugen and he races an MBX5 himself and says the MBX5 is a very good car, but he also says the parts are expensive. I'm leaning towards the Hyper 7 more because I like OFNA stuff and see that alot of people like their Hypers alot, and also I like the parts Paul Coleman puts out for it.

I'll probably be putting my slightly hopped up MBX R2 up for auction on ebay soon so keep an eye out for it.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Mugen Mbx5

Default RE: Hyper 7 Pro or MBX5

Get the mugen without a doubt..The hyper is a good buggy, but it isn't on the same level as the Mbx-5. The Mbx is far more durable(not that the ofna is not durable) the mugen is almost indestructable.The Mugen is a rocket it is just layed out a little better.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Digimortal

Yeah, get the Mugen. I recently purchased me one and am almost finished building it. The quality is amazing. This is one tough and solid buggy. I have not run mine yet but have seen them on my track and comparing them to the OFNA's is like comparing apples to oranges. The way these things handle are just phenominal. Not that the OFNA's are bad, it's just that if your looking to get serious and go places the Mugen will take you there.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Mugen Mbx5

Look at nitrohouse.com for the parts prices, The Mugen is not expensive for parts at all(except for the chassis), I spend a lot more on R2 parts than I ever spend on my Mugen. The Mugen parts seem cheaper than the Ofnas. The material of the plastic is much better on the Mugen also.It won't strip anywhere near as quick as the hyper plastic. Don't get me wrong I love my R2 also, but if you are going to spend the money for the hyper pro, than spend the extra $70.00 and get the mugen it is well worth it.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Kuma

Thanks for the input...The Mugen parts are definately expensive where I live, probably not where you're from but it might be worth it if things don't break that often on that tank.

Now let's hear from those Hyper 7 guys, come on, you guys hiding or what?? [sm=punching.gif]
Old 09-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd purchase either the mbX5 or the Kyosho Inferno MP-7.5 Kania Edition II. Then again, I own a mbX5.

2003 JMRCA 1/8 GP Off-Road Japan Championship
September 5-7, 2003

Mugen MBX-5 First Title!

Compared to this area, that track looks so odd since it has so much green!

http://www.mugenseiki.com/menueefi.htm
Old 09-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Henderson

I always recommend the Ofna Hyper 7 PBS to anyone looking for the best RTR for a reasonable price. It has a real buggy racing engine (no pull start) and comes with a starter box all for a street price around $550.00. I like the GS Storm too but i wish they offered a RTR model other than the pull-start version. (Maybe they do and somebody can enlighten me).

But i agree with these other posts. The Mugen is in a whole different league that includes only two buggies. The Mugen MBX-5 and the Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5 Kanai II. The Mugen costs less than the Kyosho and if you can swing it go for it.

There are a lot of Ofna's at my local track and they all love them; you won't regret buying one. Plus i think Ofna's look really cool...
Old 09-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Nitroaddict

again - there is no question - go with the Mugen. Like Muddy said, it is in a whole different league. Although i would put the TTR EB4 Pro in that group too.

Go with the Mugen - like comparing a Ferarri to a Toyota
Old 09-29-2003, 01:12 PM
DodgeFan

I have a post in this forum called,"buggy or st"....I like the Mugens,they look kicking,but do they make an RTR buggy,my goal is an RTR for my 1st nitro,and I dont have a budget for a high quality basher,I'll never race it,just bash it.
OFNA or Kyosho?
Old 09-29-2003, 01:35 PM
studysession

It also depends on your budget. I know my Hyper 7 PBS I can aford the parts. I have not broken anything, but I have lost some bits from having scews fall out. I hate it when that happens, and yes I use lock tite.....
Old 09-29-2003, 02:10 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

I should tell you that if you want a pullstart engine you can't get the MBX5. The new chassis won't allow it (believe me I've tried).
It may just be that basic of a choice for you who knows.
I have the mugen buggy and it is bad to the bone.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Nitroaddict

dodge - Mugen makes only kits.

If u wish to go with an RTR - stay away from anything that says SPORT on it.

Personally - for the RTR game i would recommend the following in order:

GS Storm RTR
Lightening Pro - need to add radio, but it is prebuilt and engine installed
Ofna Hyper 7 PBS
Old 09-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Kuma

I'm personally a kit guy, I'm looking for a kit or rolling car since I already have a good radio and a spare motor to use.

I agree with the above post in the RTR order, the GS Storm comes with a wicked radio for a RTR, and the Hot Bodies Lighting Pro has a race setup in RTR.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:29 PM
DodgeFan

Thanks....who makes the GS Storm and the Lightning Pro?
Old 09-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Nitroaddict

GS Racing makes the Storm and the Storm Pro.

www.horizonhobby.com

Hot Bodies Makes the Lightening RTR and Lightening Pro.

Basically the same company as HPI, it even uses the 21BB from the savage
Old 09-30-2003, 07:13 AM
DodgeFan

Being new to nitro I'm going RTR,I did the kits along time ago when I had a couple of electric cars,but now things are so much easier,I noticed on a few web sites thet OFNA has a rather extensive list of RTR's.Anybody run the OFNA Ultra MBX Pro or the OFNA Ultra LX Pro?
This seems like good starters,and I think they're upgradable too.
Thanks Guys,you have no idea how much this helps a NOOB not getting screwed by his LHS by just walking in the door and having him sell you anything they want,and not exactly what you want.Thanks Again
DodgeFan
Old 09-30-2003, 11:31 AM
DodgeFan

1 more question....internet purchase or LHS. my LHS said they'll go through the whole buggy with me and show me break in practices and starting procedures,and on hand tech help,that alone may be worth a lil extra $$$.Ya Think?
Thanks
DF
Old 09-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Nitroaddict

my personal opinion - is that u should ALWAYS support your LHS. They are the true backbone of the RC hobby. I would gladly pay a lil more at the LHS, and get that service. Ask them if they will match tower hobbies pricing. Most will.