Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

fantom not tuning right

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fantom not tuning right

i have the fantom fr12 '02... for some reason i just can't get this engine to get to the proper temp and i'm still trying to break it in...

whats happening is if i lean out the HSN... then from idle if you accelerate it bogs down and then engine shuts off.. if i richen it up.. it accelerates fine from idle but it doesn't go as fast and doesnt reach the temps i want...

should i be adjusting the LSN as well?? by the way.. its a slide carb...
Old 09-27-2003, 02:46 PM

Default RE: fantom not tuning right

eratic symptoms like that usually means you have an air leak. the 02 fantoms are a pain to tune unlike the 03 engines, but It should not be that hard. Look for air bubble traveling through the airline. Does the speed up and slow down?
Also What are you settings.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:58 PM

i did have an air leak but that was by the glow plug.. i tightened it up and then it was fine.. no more bubbling by the glow plug...

still same tuning problems.. i didn't notice any air leaks anywhere else.. i doubt there is though... i replaced my hpi star engine with this fantom.. and with the star i never had any leaks... and i haven't crashed or anythin in that time frame...

also theres a fine line with the bogging... if i lean it out less than 1/8 of a turn.. it starts to bog again..

if i accelerate slowly.. it finally gets goin though.. but its hard to get it goin...

the HSN is like 3 turns out i belive.. and i havent touched the low speed from the factory..
Old 09-27-2003, 06:27 PM

The low speed needle isn't always set at the best setting for your needs. For your engine, I would check that idle screw and make sure its at least 1mm. Maybe even 1.5, then richen your low end just a bit. That should help that bogging problem you are having.
Hey once you get that engine running right and take care of it, it will be the least of your problems.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:15 AM

my idle is ok.. that i know.. but once i tune it right i will get the best idle...

but one questoin.. why is it that when i touch the HSN it bogs down?? i thought that needle only affects the fuel mixture when you have open throttle??

so to fix my problem all i have to do is play around with the LSN??
Old 09-28-2003, 09:16 PM

ttt