Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Rc Car conversions from nitro to electric

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rc Car conversions from nitro to electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Kenny15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rc Car conversions from nitro to electric

Hey Guys, I'm sorta new to this rc stuff so i have a few questions to ask.
First off i was given a nitro rc car with a .25 (4.1cc) nitro engine it is a [tower terror mt rtr] i have used it some and it turns out that a metal piece chiped and scratched up the piston, anyway it turns out that the engine is destroyed so I was thinking of doing an electric conversion. im not very familiar with electric motors and all that. Could someone tell me what kind of motor and esc i would need? i have some 3s li-pos that i would like to use if that is an option. i have a four-wheel drive, 7 pound (no engine or batteries), in between 1/8 and 1/10 scale truck. so im asking what is necessary to get this thing converted to electric (i need a motor and an ESC)
Thanks Guys! ✌
Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The problem I would have. ..finding parts for an older RC. If I could track down the common parts for that Tower Terror then yes I would do the conversion. If you find no part support for that RC, then I would skip on it.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:19 AM
Kenny15

I have thought of that but i figured if i went with electric (instead of fixing the engine) i could use the motor in another vehicle. also i have been able to fing many of the parts for the Tower Terror so i could fix it most likely
Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM
RustyUs

For a heavier 4wd truck, I would probably start with a 3660, or even a 4268 sized motor in the 2400kv range to be ran with a 3S LiPo pack. That is a ballpark guess without knowing the gearing, or the layout of the truck. For the ESC, I'd go with a 120 amp to be on the safe side.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 AM
Kenny15

Would this be a good option?

Racerstar-4076-Brushless-Waterproof-Sensorless-Motor-2000KV-120A-ESC-
Old 03-15-2019, 01:58 PM
RustyUs

For me, I would not have a problem using that combo. It's a lower budget motor and ESC. I have not first hand use of the speed control. I have used many motors like that Racestar only not that size, and happy with each and every one of them. Lots of lower budget gear are put into my RCs, because I have other RCs to run if something fails. I If I wanted a well known quality ESC; that I can count on, my first choice is Hobbywing. Even their lower priced EZRun & Quicrun components are great. You can find the Hobbywing EZRun WP-SC8 for just under $60, but you probably won't get a warranty because of not buying through one of Hobbywing's authorized dealers.

Enough about that.

From your other posts, with pictures of the Tower Terror chassis, I have to say you probably got some work cut out for you to rig something up to use as an adjustable motor mount. I'd say that's going to be your biggest challenge. I don't have the machinery/tools/patience to scratch build something for my RCs...not worthy enough of a photo shoot anyway. Maybe you got the notion and know how to construct something between those two vertical chassis plates. More power to you!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As someone that has converted a few nitro RC's to electric the motor mount plate is one of the hardest things to get right. I wasted a lot of money(and do mean wasted I might have well just started it on fire), and time in plenty of failed efforts as unless you have access to a machine shop you will almost always have some flex, or imperfection in the mount that would cause the motor to shift. This was extremely true when I did it on a Savage which is a twin plate setup similar to the tower terror. Then there is how will you mount the battery to contend with. I ended up pretty much scrapping all the electric conversion RC's that I made motor plates for as when they worked they performed poorly vs purpose made ones (even the cheap ones) due to the weight distribution, and pinion alignment/shifting issues.

Not trying to dissuade you if you feel up for it, but do know the challenges.

Now if there was a pre-made mount then yea those can perform quite well as I did a few that had pre-made mounts that could royally rip.

Now no idea how well something like this https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekno-r...kr4140/p138743 would work