Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas rustler

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Scorpion9er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas rustler

So to say I’m new is givin me to much credit. I am trying to get into the RC truck world to give my two boys and myself something fun to do and work on together. I am searching. Online for some answer because I live 3 hours from the closest hobby store that sells RC stuff so almost all my buying will be done online. My main question is about my first purchase I’m looking at getting the Traxxas rustler because it looks like a good starter car for all 3 of us and I will expand from there but in the buying options it has two options that I don’t really understand the difference and am looking for some clarity. 1st TRA37054-4 for $169 and second is TRA37054-1 for $199. I really don’t understand the difference in the two besides one has ID technology??? What exactly is this and is it worth the extra cash. Also what are some of your favorite online stores for buying RC components?
thanks for any info and help
Old 05-04-2020, 03:55 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

One comes with battery & charger, the other does not.

If were me, I'd opt for the one without the battery any charger . Use the $40 saved to get a 2S LiPo battery and decent LiPo battery charger.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:22 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The iD makes charging easier / safer for people who dont read manuals .
The charger will identify the the battery type and charge it properly .
It only works with Traxxas iD batteries which are on the expensive side for what they are .
The Rustler has been around for years , and Traxxas parts are stocked just about every where . Lots of after market bits as well .
eg . T bone bumpers .
The following users liked this post:
RustyUs (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:33 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Scorpion9er
So to say I’m new is givin me to much credit. I am trying to get into the RC truck world to give my two boys and myself something fun to do and work on together. I am searching. Online for some answer because I live 3 hours from the closest hobby store that sells RC stuff so almost all my buying will be done online. My main question is about my first purchase I’m looking at getting the Traxxas rustler because it looks like a good starter car for all 3 of us and I will expand from there but in the buying options it has two options that I don’t really understand the difference and am looking for some clarity. 1st TRA37054-4 for $169 and second is TRA37054-1 for $199. I really don’t understand the difference in the two besides one has ID technology??? What exactly is this and is it worth the extra cash. Also what are some of your favorite online stores for buying RC components?
thanks for any info and help
Just be sure to understand the "charger" that comes with the Traxxas Rustler XL-5 is a 12V "cigarette" outlet type charger. Traxxas is banking on a person wanting to charge batteries using household current, and suggests buying the over priced AC to DC converter.

I used to love Tower Hobbies and Omni Models (Tower Hobbies sister company) for shopping anything RC. Omni is no more and Tower is basically Horizon Hobby in disguise (Horizon Hobby owns Tower Hobbies now). Anyways, I try to like Tower Hobbies/Horizon but their stock status, and shipping exclusions with coupons makes my head dizzy when trying to get the right combination of things at the best deal. Amain Hobbies is my first stop generally. All depends on what I'm shopping for and what brand of RC I'm going after. Just so you know, Traxxas products are the same price everywhere (MAP policy)...you don't play by the rules, you don't get to sell Traxxas products.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:39 AM
RustyUs

If you think LiPo batteries are going to be in your future... use of LiPo batteries.

Last edited by RustyUs; 05-04-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:27 AM
Scorpion9er

Thanks for the info guys. So I’ve been shopping at RC planet.com. So as far as battery’s go what is some other brands that people like? I was just leaning towards the Traxxas battery because they seem safer to have my boys 12&9 be able to use. What would be a more affordable product to use. Also in the future I plan on doing a rock crawler something along the axial wraith and it would be nice if I could get similar batter types and chargers that I could just have a setup charging station.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:46 PM
RustyUs

If concerned about safety, and whatnots, then yes, Traxxas has made everything as simple as can be...as long as you buy the iD stuff. That iD simplicity comes with a larger price tag. The stock 7 cell 3000mAh NiMh iD battery pack, that comes standard in the Rustler packages, costs $35. Being around LiPo batteries, and knowing how to safely charge/take care of them, a smart shopper could buy two 2S 5200mAh LiPo packs for the same price as the Traxxas NiMh pack.

I've been using Zeee LiPo batteries for over a year now, and I'm overly joyed with them. The only thing with some batteries (like Zeee) is they don't come with your connector of choice. Not a big deal for people that have been the hobby awhile. They just solder up their favorite connector. For others they may not have soldering skills, or equipment (a great skill to learn for the hobby), there are a lot of good batteries out there that come with Traxxas connector on them.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:01 PM
RICH.P

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL and I am really happy with it. I bought it online from RC Superstore and had no problems with them. I also bought a Traxxas EZ-Peak charger. This charger will charge older nonID Traxxas batteries and other brands of Lipos also. I bought a SMC 3s Lipo with a Traxxas connector installed that I charge with this charger. There is a little cover on the front of the charger you can remove to access the balance lead connection. The main connection will accept either new or old style Traxxas connectors. If you have a Non-Traxxas connector adapters are available from Amazon.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Scorpion9er

We got the 2x4 version and ended up getting boldbat battery’s and HTRC charger. It all should be here Wednesday I’ll let you know what I think.