Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

1992 Tamiya Blackfoot Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 08:47 AM
kcoffrin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Tamiya Blackfoot Upgrade

Hello All:

So I have an original Tamiya Blackfoot that I have recently resurrected. Back in my younger/broke days I built this model with only one servo to control both front wheels. There is a place in the chassis for another servo, but I am not sure what parts I will need to upgrade this to a two servo system.

I also have a Tekin Sport speed control in this which does not provide reverse. Not sure what my thinking was way back when in going with this unit. Would like to replace this as well (if in fact this is why there is no reverse)

Any part information or instruction on this would be helpful.

NOTE: As I am not at 10 posts yet, I am not allowed to upload images. However, I can provide any part information that I have now on the truck as needed.

Let me know

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by kcoffrin; 07-08-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kcoffrin
Hello All:

So I have an original Tamiya Blackfoot that I have recently resurrected. Back in my younger/broke days I built this model with only one servo to control both front wheels. There is a place in the chassis for another servo, but I am not sure what parts I will need to upgrade this to a two servo system.
The second servo was for a mechanical speed control. This model came out when they were still common and electronic speed controls (ESCs) were exotic things that only racers used.

I also have a Tekin Sport speed control in this which does not provide reverse. Not sure what my thinking was way back when in going with this unit. Would like to replace this as well (if in fact this is why there is no reverse)
Race rules often forbid reverse function, so even modern ESCs have modes to disable reverse.

I think your best course of action is just to get a simple electronic speed control to replace your old Tekin. For example, a used Traxxas XL-5 from ebay should be affordable and will easily handle all the power your Blackfoot's transmission can handle.

One other thing to consider is that this original Blackfoot is somewhat collectible now, especially if the body is in OK shape. (as it has the Ford licensing and some special decals) The plastic is now over 30 years old and will be even more fragile than normal. You might want to consider retiring this and replacing it either with a current production Blackfoot (which includes a speed control to meet your specs) or with something of a modern, more rugged design. (ex. Traxxas Stampede)
Old 01-19-2021, 01:00 PM
jharding08

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same Blackfoot and Tekin without Reverse. Sucks when you get stuck, but thats what kids are for! haha