Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:08 PM
DigitalDirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Old Guy

I had my first RC car when I was in 2nd grade, this was in 1977. I had parents that loved tech and spent the money, they loved it is much as I did back then. Had RC cars all my life.
Now I am behind and need help. Got married had kids, put thousands of dollars into my real off-road car a Jeep CJ7.
So help me, I have a HPI RS4 4WD OFF-Road Baja Bug. I upgraded the motor years ago and changed it to have a reverse with a XRS NOVAK controller.
I want to get it running for my daughters, so I need a new controller, batteries and charger. I see what I think I need online but I am absolutely out of date on RC tech.
• Affordable forward/reverse and left/right controller, nothing more.
• Affordable batteries (LiPo I think are best) what connector should I get? I can solder connections so I don't care, what is most available?
• Affordable charger

I saw two 5200mAH LiPo online for $25, I am just about to spend $40 for a 60 pack of Fujifilm - Instax Mini Film so welcome to parenthood.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:31 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a quick look at the manual for the ESC and found it is rated for 7 cell - 8.4v .
A charged 2S is 8.4v so its on the limit with no buffer .
There is no Low Voltage Cutoff for lipo ( there is a cutoff , but too low for a lipo ) .
You could fit a Lipo Low Voltage Alarm .
Personally , I would run a 6 cell Nimh as I dont know how the old ESC would handle the Lipo .
Flysky GT2 is a basic Transmitter + Receiver .
IMax B6 charger will do all your batteries . They have AC and DC types , get AC if you want to charge at home .
A Deans connector will do the job , cheap and easy to solder .
Old 01-14-2021, 11:55 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dirt, have you stopped in the the hobby shop in your area to see what they might have on the shelf? There are plenty of bargains to be found online but you may be surprised what's at your local shop. If they're a decent shop they can hopefully offer some guidance also.

If you get the car running just make sure the kids have plenty of room to run so as to minimize the chances of crashing it. They don't make that model anymore and while parts are sometimes available on eBay they're getting harder to find.