Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Beginner car to build on over time

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 09:51 PM
cmlarive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner car to build on over time

I just got my kid a nice startup RC car and he's really enjoying it and so am I. I am coming to you all to find a nice RC that has decent modding options to build with him and learn with him over the next couple years as long as he stays interested. Budget is under $200 USD because I do plan on buying mods and all over time.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-20-2021, 08:36 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

How much are you planning to spend on mods?

Reason I ask is that it would be more cost effective to invest in a "race grade" kit which typically includes all of the upgrades already giving you more bang for the buck, plus race grades tend to be more durable and will offer more tuning options and will typically be easier to work on and most important will tend to last longer before parts wear which ultimately save you money over the long haul.

That said, for a decent race grade that is a "sport" level which doesn't have all the upgrades, but will give you a decent balance between price/performance, I would recommend the PR Racing 401R-T kit:
https://shop.thercproshop.com/pr-rac...ck-truggy.html

Here's more info on my build which is based on the race grade which comes with all the upgrades:
Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:48 PM
cmlarive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, sorry for not specifying I was more interested in the bashing scene other than racing, however your option seems quite good even still.

Unfortunately I don't have any local tracks for racing and things but that looks like a mean little rc that could be a ton of fun.

Mod cost was probably another 200 or so a little at a time over 2-3 years if it would last.

I appreciate your comment and will look into that kit with much more detail but I do like what I see at first glance.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:20 PM
bill_delong

So the main difference between a "basher grade" and "race grade" design are that basher grades are older and extremely less durable, but the classes are fairly universal between a basher and a racer.

The kit I recommended above (401R-T) would be the same class as the Traxxas Rustler 4WD, but the 401R-T offers far more tuning options, will be easier to work on and will be far more durable and easier to drive.

Note that the kit doesn't include any electronics, but here's what I would recommend to install in the 401R-T to help keep costs reasonable:

$75 - Motor/ESC Combo with 5800KV motor (recommend a 20T pinion with this motor)
$40 - 2S Shorty Battery
$11 - Basic charger
$39 - High Torque Servo
$55 - Computer radio with telemetry, gyro and loaded with features

Total - $220 for electronics

*** Most RTR's come with piss poor electronics that need to be replaced anyway, so you're saving yourself the hassle/expense by getting decent quality electronics on the first go around

Other expenses will be tires, paint, tools, etc
Old 01-21-2021, 12:25 PM
bill_delong

If you just want something cheap and fun then get the Exceed Infinitive:
https://www.nitrorcx.com/51c803-pro-ddred-24ghz.html

This is the same class as the 401R-T as well, but just won't drive as easy and lacks a lot of tuning options, though it's fairly durable which is a huge plus!

It has plenty of aluminum upgrades but by the time you invest in all that, you would be better off with the 401R-T in the first place:
https://www.nitrorcx.com/exceed-elec...-upgrades.html

Last edited by bill_delong; 01-21-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Badabing76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmlarive
I just got my kid a nice startup RC car and he's really enjoying it and so am I. I am coming to you all to find a nice RC that has decent modding options to build with him and learn with him over the next couple years as long as he stays interested. Budget is under $200 USD because I do plan on buying mods and all over time.

Thanks for your help!
I would have said Traxxas Stampede 2wd as 4wd is more expensive. It's a RTR, so everyone ready to roll out the box, just charge up. I unfortunately have had bad luck lately though, keep breaking parts, ones that might not be able to be replaced. They can be had for under 200 depending where you shop. I have two of them and one works well, the other dont. They do well in higher terrain, grass and jumps, but don't go crazy.

If you like to bash around, then my slash 4x4 I had years ago served me well. I had it for a couple years and didn't have as many issues as my Stampedes. Might be a little more though now, not sure. They are more geared for racing lemon the road.

​​​​​
Old 01-21-2021, 06:07 PM
bill_delong

Traxxas is probably the least durable and one of the most expensive brands to maintain... hobby shops love to push Traxxas because they are the most profitable because they break so much and require a fortune in upgrades to up-sell to customers.

For about the same price as Traxxas, you will be better off with ARRMA when it comes to dollar for dollar comparison out of the box where I feel ARRMA is top dog for best quality RTR on the market.

The Exceed that I linked previously will be the best bang for the buck, almost as durable as ARRMA, but lower quality electronics and fewer distribution channels to get parts. Simply put, you get what you pay for in this case.

The PR Racing kit I linked will be more durable and perform better (easier to drive) than ARRMA, where I feel PR Racing will be the least expensive maintain over the long run.

Last edited by bill_delong; 01-21-2021 at 07:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
remotecontrolbros (05-17-2021)