Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Gas Engine for 1/8 Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Engine for 1/8 Truggy

I have a .21 nitro engine in my truggy and I love it, except for the fuel it burns. With nitro prices so high today, I'm looking to swap in a different engine. I don't want to swap in a plane engine because 1) they also run nitro (I think), 2) the torque and rpm range wouldn't engage the centrifugal clutch ("rc airplane engine in rc truck" on this forum). This seems to be so with almost all the engines I've found.

Can you recommend any gas-powered engines that would actually work in a 1/8 scale truggy? Or is electric (I've been looking at an Arrma typhon) really cheaper in the long run.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:28 AM

Done some further research and found that gas engines that small are an unreliable pain in the ass. I seriously doubt I could stuff a 30cc engine in there (be interesting if I could). Is there any gas option for 1/8 scale or is that strictly for 1/5 scale.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:42 AM

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

both HPI and Losi have tried i think .21 size 2 stroke gas engines in 1/8 monster trucks with unsatisfactory results. the ignition modules were very unreliable.

electric always has been cheaper in the long run. depending on how much you drive your truck it may not hurt to go electric. that said there are cheaper fuels out there. iv run several brands over the last 25 years and can't tell the difference. currently im using Morgan Sidewinder fuel cause it's cheap. $11 a quart. https://www.amainhobbies.com/morgan-...off20q/p523385 or you can buy a 4 quart case directly from them for $45 https://morganfuel.com/store/Sidewin...ase-p279782049
The following users liked this post:
ebucs (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 11:08 AM

I've also used only Morgan Sidewinder fuel. The problem is the hazmat fees that make it more like $20 a quart (from Amain) once all's said and done (at least where I am). The Arrma I've been looking at has a $100+ motor, 100+ esc and 100+ 6s lipo. Granted, since I drive my truck a lot I'd probably catch up to the cost of one battery in 2 gallons.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:40 PM

where are you? i haven't had to pay any kind of hazmat fee and im in Southern California, i probably don't need to elaborate on how overly regulated everything is here. frankly im surprised it's still legal for purchase. i just have to pay standard ground shipping and i always order other stuff with it so it's not a big deal.
if you have a local hobby shop that can order it you might be able to avoid those fee's. might end up running you like $15, but that's better than $20.

Arrma is pretty much the new "go to" for bashers. great all around bang for the buck. can't really go wrong there. word of warning though, that 6s power is considerably more power than you're used to with nitro.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:25 PM

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

If you have local access to methanol and nitro, you can mix your own fuel. I’ve done it for years. 20% nitro 11% oil fuel costs me about $10-12 a gallon to make. Methanol is ~$3 a gallon, castor oil is about $25 a gallon shipped, and nitro can vary from $30-80 a gallon depending on where you get it. If you have a local VP dealer nearby, they should be able to get you a 5gal can of pure nitro for roughly $300.

There should not be any hazmat on quarts. It’s only on gallons of mixed fuel.
The following users liked this post:
ebucs (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 06:03 PM

I'm in VT and I understand SoCal regs. A single quart from Amain had $10+ added to the original price at checkout, and standard shipping is 3.99 (I think). From the regular Morgan Sidewinder website it's much cheaper.

Even though that's cheaper than every other brand I can find, I still don't want to pay $40+ a gallon for nitro. Yet, 1/8 scale is too small for a 20cc+ engine, unless someone here has Macgyvered a gas engine into one. Since you mentioned the 6s power: how do you find the durability of the Arrma and its parts? I'm not worried about power since I have a lot of space.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:16 PM

i don't own an Arrma (yet), anything i told you would be stuff you've probably already heard cause it's the same stuff iv heard in youtube videos and forum posts while researching the 4s Outcast and both 2 and 4wd Granite's.